Mick Aston - Time Team

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
This was recently posted on Time Teams Facebook page :(

It is with a very heavy heart that we have been informed this evening that our dear friend and colleague Mick Aston has passed away.

At this stage our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Such sad news as I always enjoyed watching him explain things on Time Team

RIP Mick

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's sad to hear, reckon he and Phil really made archaeology "cool" for kids and entertaining for adults. Sad to see him go.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
He will be missed he took the time to explain to my kids what they were doing when they filmed near me a genuinely nice chap

May you live eternal In the halls of Valhalla

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So very sorry to hear this :sigh:
He was that wonderful mix of a brilliant teacher combined with the encouragment of disciplined, well founded, research, with an openness to new techniques, that really inspired people.
A pleasure to talk with and to listen to, he really did break down the walls of academia and encourage everyone to appreciate and value our cultural heritage, and the work that underpins it's understanding and interpretation.

We'll miss you Prof Aston. Lots of people will raise a glass to you :)

M

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Mick Aston quit time team in 2012 because he was very angry that the tv producers wanted to cut down on the informative archaeology and hire a former female model to present the programme. He was one of the very few and rapidly declining tv personalities who considered the information the programme gave more important than the falsehood of celebrity. His like are sadly missed at an alarming rate. See this link on why he quit the programme http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...producers-hire-former-model-co-presenter.html

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
He must have been a great tutor, he was always seemingly mad keen on his subject.
I will certainly miss those Catweazel whiskers and the Bad Taste hats and ghanzi's.

Ceeg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
One of my favorite programs as well. I really liked the original team. Hope it doesnt fall off a cliff now, and get dumbed down.
RIP Mick.
My sig comes from one of Francis Pryors programs.

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
He was a very Knowledgeable man. He also had the conviction to leave because he thought Time Team had lost it's way Archeologically. R.I.P. Mick ASton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE