meths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
does anyone live near a trago mills besides leon? I want to know if their 5l bottles are still a fiver as it makes a trip worth doing if I buy half a dozen to last me the next few years.

£1.75 - £2.69 for half a litre round here at the moment :( I used to get small bottles for scouts for 60p at the wholesalers in york.:)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
ooh just seen there;s one in merthyr tydfill so if I plan it right I can pick some up for the moot and a lot on the return trip - oh no hang on its not built yet.

I know what you mean but most of meths is profit not tax which is why theirs is so cheap two years ago it was a fiver and two years before that it was a little less so I'm hoping its doing the same thing. like I said I used to get it for 60p and they were still making their 30% :)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've picked up Meths in Wilko before - I thought it was cheap at the time, but can't remember exactly how much it was.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
she's just paid 3 quid at betws for 500ml and she cooks on gas which I dont understand :confused:

I've burnt a lot of meths experimenting but I can now rolling boil a crusader mug 2/3 full with 2 pop bottle capfulls using a crusader cooker with a simplified pop can stove and a foil lid takes around 8 mins indoors but then will roll for another 5 and will boil away half an inch of water if I let it :)

every other stove I've tried it needed at least three with no spare after boil is reached.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've burnt a lot of meths experimenting but I can now rolling boil a crusader mug 2/3 full with 2 pop bottle capfulls using a crusader cooker with a simplified pop can stove and a foil lid takes around 8 mins indoors but then will roll for another 5 and will boil away half an inch of water if I let it :)

every other stove I've tried it needed at least three with no spare after boil is reached.

C'mon Dave,
spill the beans about the stove - which design/type patterns etc. Something that efficient shouldn't be kept a secret ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
even better just looked it up and its not far from lil bruv in marchwood so he's going to pick half a dozen up for me at £6.50ea :)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Methanol would be a good substititute for meths, and is cheaper.

It also burns alot cleaner, and lights easier in the cold. The only drawback is it is slightly less energy dense, but even so, you can get it for about 40p a litre on the ebay, probably cheaper if you look around. Here's one listing I pulled out: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Virgin-Methan...ryZ26261QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, I'd buy if getting it couriered up wasn't more than it costs to buy the stuff.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
C'mon Dave,
spill the beans about the stove - which design/type patterns etc. Something that efficient shouldn't be kept a secret ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

pretty simple really I basically made a pop can stove which we all know about. however its only an inch high so you cut the two cans down to about a cm of sidewall and squeeze them togther without any more bits to make. I then cut out one of the dishes and found the best way is to take a hole cutter the right size without a mandrel and just wind it round till you've cut through. it works well like that but a piece of rockwool helps to slow it down and prolong the burn time as the meths doesn't boil in the stove. full size can stoves do fit and do work but waste a lot of heat in that happy fireball. so the aim was to just focus the heat on the base of the stove out of any wind.

Attachments

• Picture 003 (Small).jpg
    Picture 003 (Small).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture 002 (Small).jpg
    Picture 002 (Small).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 006 (Small).jpg
    Picture 006 (Small).jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 005 (Small).jpg
    Picture 005 (Small).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 009 (Small).jpg
    Picture 009 (Small).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 68

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I just wanted something I would have used and my brother still can if he doesn't detail one of his men brewmaster in cheif, I allways hated the inefficiency of hexi blocks along with the big ball of flame and the smell so used to make a hole in the ground and burn a quarter block at a time till I had a boil if we couldn't get gas. germany used to be bad and expensive for getting any form of gas can so I used to lug my stove around for when I really needed a quiet or quick brew.

I also reckon a drop of meths in the bottom of the cooker would make it possible to light a hexi with a spark as that subject came up in conversation on trueways. next thing to try is a drop of meths in the bottom to start a mini wood fire going in there just to see if it can be done in the same way you can with an army trangia to maximise the fuel if needed :)

I'll make a better lid if required but a peice of recycled alu foil tray works fine for now :)

I did a brain search and realised that survival aids sold crusader cups back in the 80's but labelled 58 pattern metal mug and they came with a detatchable lip saver. like all the survival aids stuff bcb have taken it over and added a cooker which is good. none of my lot had the SA mug as we all had german US or 44 pattern ones. I had and still have a US mug with a nattick stove unit which can sit over any fuel tab or a fire pit. the nattick was just an aluminium sleeve which sits around the cup out of the way minimising space and weight till you invert it and it becomes a stand. in this case i used it with a vargo titanium stove. :)

Attachments

• Picture 013 (Small).jpg
    Picture 013 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 008 (Small).jpg
    Picture 008 (Small).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 010 (Small).jpg
    Picture 010 (Small).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 65

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Methanol would be a good substititute for meths, and is cheaper.

It also burns alot cleaner, and lights easier in the cold. The only drawback is it is slightly less energy dense, but even so, you can get it for about 40p a litre on the ebay, probably cheaper if you look around. Here's one listing I pulled out: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Virgin-Methan...ryZ26261QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, I'd buy if getting it couriered up wasn't more than it costs to buy the stuff.

I agree on cleaner burn but at £6.50 a litre elsewhere on ebay I'll stick to my 5l meths bottles :) I know you can buy the clear denatured stuff in bulk and cheaper but it can be a lot of hassle for only a few litres a year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE