Methanol?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Hi guys and gals, just a question. I have made myself some white box style stoves from alu bottles. Now I work opposite someone who makes bio diesel and have been offered free methanol. This is a clear liquid. Is it safe to use in my stove instead of methylated spirit?

Prob just being stupid, but any help would be gratefully received. Cheers!

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
Cheers guys! Just never heard mention about it being used for stoves before, but thought it was meths without the carp.

Meths is mostly Ethanol with 5%-10% Methanol added to make it poisonous (+ purple dye) I use Bio-Ethanol which as Lebowski says burns alot cleaner than meths.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I nearly bought 25 litres of 99.9% virgin methanol but then read that it soots easily and is too wild a flame!

I'll have to chat to you about it bug Al.

Free does sound good though.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I use methanol injection on my car, personally i would not use it as fuel for a stove.

Firstly, it's highly toxic even a few ml can have drastic effects like blindness.
It's not just ingestion you have to worry about either, handling it can be very tricky especially if you have small cuts on your hands as this will quickly be taken into the blood stream.

You also have to be wary of how you store it as i've seen cases where it has effectively eaten through certain containers.

It also burns as an invisible flame, so can be very dangerous if your not expecting that.

Free stuff is great, but personally i'd sooner pay a few quid and use Methylated spirits instead, Methanol is nasty nasty stuff.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I nearly bought 25 litres of 99.9% virgin methanol but then read that it soots easily and is too wild a flame!

I'll have to chat to you about it bug Al.

Free does sound good though.

Dunno where you got the story about it sooting and being "too wild a flame"! But thats totally wrong. It burns marginally less hot than ethanol (although I doubt you'd ever notice the difference), clean-burning and is an excellent alcohol to use in your alco stoves.

However, methanol is nasty stuff - very toxic (thats where the expression "blind drunk" came from, as only a small amount of methanol in badly-distilled ethanol will blind you - or worse..) You pays your money and takes your choice....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I use methanol injection on my car, personally i would not use it as fuel for a stove.

Firstly, it's highly toxic even a few ml can have drastic effects like blindness.
It's not just ingestion you have to worry about either, handling it can be very tricky especially if you have small cuts on your hands as this will quickly be taken into the blood stream.

You also have to be wary of how you store it as i've seen cases where it has effectively eaten through certain containers.

It also burns as an invisible flame, so can be very dangerous if your not expecting that.'.

So do some gel fuels (diethylene glycol) www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NVzgJCcwLQ

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE