Met a knife idiot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yeah, me too.

My first knife was a honking great divers knife.

I wouldnt get the cops involved unless I was sure there was a crime...Sheesh!

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
So we have a guy with (by our standards) a poor taste in knives and who might be a bit of a plonker. Hardly a case to persecute him.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
not to mention "knife idiots" who will insist on test bending them to breaking point or use them as belay pitons to shimmy up oak trees:lmao:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I would hope that everyone would report to the police when they think a crime might be being committed.
It is then up to the police to investigate and the CPS to decide whether to prosecute.

As I read it, the OP who seems no stranger to blades was disquieted so much by someone carrying an illegal 'Rambo' style blade, he would prefer not to have him on his property.

Personally that seems to justify mentioning concerns to the police.
It is then up to them to decide the best course of action.
I'd much rather report instances like this, than see him on the news having used the weapon.

Would people be so calm and willing to ignore other potential crimes?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I would hope that everyone would report to the police when they think a crime might be being committed.
It is then up to the police to investigate and the CPS to decide whether to prosecute.

As I read it, the OP who seems no stranger to blades was disquieted so much by someone carrying an illegal 'Rambo' style blade, he would prefer not to have him on his property.

I'd much rather report instances like this, than see him on the news having used the weapon.

If I was to report every potential crime I come across I wouldn't have time to eat or sleep.

If I thought I should act on each occasion I felt disquieted by another person's behaviour I wouldn't have time to eat or sleep.

Bad taste and stupid behaviour are not crimes, but something all of us would have been guilty of in our younger days; I certainly was, and that's how I learned how to behave decently.

As far as I read it he expresses no desire to commit any crime and seems to be a complete dickhead, which is not a crime. If I was in the OP's situation I'd have told him what I thought of him and why, and I certainly wouldn't have him anywhere near me or mine let alone employ him, directly or indirectly.

We're not in a police state yet, are we?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My first reaction is that some idiot stupidly showing off with a stupid knife (and yes, I really do mean that) is an accident waiting to happen.

I live in a nice area, it's right across the river from what was called the murder capital of Europe….yep, and I really do mean that too….and it's not guns, it's knives and stupid young men behaving stupidly with stupid knives that cause it :(

So, even though I own, and use, knives, I have a real opprobium about idiots and knives.

Macaroon's right too though; we all grow up, live and learn discretion and consideration….well, unless we come a cropper with an idiot with a knife and his stupidity fired up high :sigh:

I think I would have a quiet word with the fellow's boss and point out that my concerns have validity, and that waving around Rambo type tools, especially on the land of a man who actually does know and use knives as working implements, is not really a reassuring thing for an employee to do. It's not going to do anyone's reputation any favours, put it that way. It's hardly going to encourage someone to take up the quote, is it ?

M

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Seems like a guy doing a job with the need for a cutting tool and maybe 'poor' taste at best, no need to over react or call the bleedin police lol. Don't judge the lad just because he likes stuff we've grown out of, give him some pointers on what makes different ones better than his! :D

And in all fairness, logically his cheap rambo knife might be really good at bush whacking and roughing out hedges and probably only cost £20 so no tears if it breaks. Makes sense to me..

If it were me though, I'd have out knifed him with some of my stuff and showed him that there are better things out there and spiky saw backs etc are redundant movie props. Maybe even get my ferengi like tactics involved and sell him something better lol. And I show people my collections of tools in the pub all the time (pictures on my phone), they ask what I do and I show them. Got a few customers out of it and people to apreciate the need for a good tool used properly. Even the pub landlord gave me his axe for a refubish and he was ovejoyed by the new near unrecognisable thing he got back! Other punters have given me rolls of kitchen knives to sharpen and all sorts. It's normal and casual if you don't make a big deal out of things, and I think the lad OP mentioned was nothing more than an eager beaver for tools, just lacking some of wisdom us boring sods have had the benefit of learning from one another.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Great post Sir, well said indeed :)

Seems like a guy doing a job with the need for a cutting tool and maybe 'poor' taste at best, no need to over react or call the bleedin police lol. Don't judge the lad just because he likes stuff we've grown out of, give him some pointers on what makes different ones better than his! :D

And in all fairness, logically his cheap rambo knife might be really good at bush whacking and roughing out hedges and probably only cost £20 so no tears if it breaks. Makes sense to me..

If it were me though, I'd have out knifed him with some of my stuff and showed him that there are better things out there and spiky saw backs etc are redundant movie props. Maybe even get my ferengi like tactics involved and sell him something better lol. And I show people my collections of tools in the pub all the time (pictures on my phone), they ask what I do and I show them. Got a few customers out of it and people to apreciate the need for a good tool used properly. Even the pub landlord gave me his axe for a refubish and he was ovejoyed by the new near unrecognisable thing he got back! Other punters have given me rolls of kitchen knives to sharpen and all sorts. It's normal and casual if you don't make a big deal out of things, and I think the lad OP mentioned was nothing more than an eager beaver for tools, just lacking some of wisdom us boring sods have had the benefit of learning from one another.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
If I was to report every potential crime I come across I wouldn't have time to eat or sleep.

If I thought I should act on each occasion I felt disquieted by another person's behaviour I wouldn't have time to eat or sleep.

Bad taste and stupid behaviour are not crimes, but something all of us would have been guilty of in our younger days; I certainly was, and that's how I learned how to behave decently.

As far as I read it he expresses no desire to commit any crime and seems to be a complete dickhead, which is not a crime. If I was in the OP's situation I'd have told him what I thought of him and why, and I certainly wouldn't have him anywhere near me or mine let alone employ him, directly or indirectly.

We're not in a police state yet, are we?

As I read it the OP was shown an obviously illegal Knife by someone carrying it.
I'm not an expert but that looks like a crime.

Bad taste and stupid behaviour are not crimes but they are also no excuses for a crime.

As for forgiving illegal behaviour today because it was OK in ones youth, that just seems stupid.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I don't think he'd be employed if he was a gun & knife crazed nut. If you kick a fuss up he could lose his job.

Just leave it and get the work done by another firm.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am kind of gun crazy. Still very mature and reliable. Even the police thinks that, so they keep approving the permits.

Most of us have multiple, sensibly sized knives, correct? We think that is ok.
Imagine what most people think though. Including the legislative powers. ( hence the ban of carrying anything decent)

Please do not condemn him. Did he do a good job? That is the only thing that would interst me.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
As I read it the OP was shown an obviously illegal Knife by someone carrying it.
I'm not an expert but that looks like a crime.

Bad taste and stupid behaviour are not crimes but they are also no excuses for a crime.

As for forgiving illegal behaviour today because it was OK in ones youth, that just seems stupid.

The knife is not an illegal knife ,he was on private land for one thing, he said he used it in his work, which gives him reason to have it on him, the only thing the OP said about his knives was he didn't like them, the lad didn't do anything wrong, the OP noticed he had a neck knife on him, but didn't mention seeing the Rambo knife, until the lad was leaving, it could well have been in his car when he showed it to him,, he may well have just bought it, I have looked in the Law Books, and collecting stupid knives is not an offence, otherwise half of us would be in jail, I mean you have to be realistic, and make a judgement on the facts, and as far as I can see, the lad didn't do anything wrong, so leave him alone, maybe the OP should put a sign on his gate saying no entry, unless you have knives I like, and furthermore make sure people know they are having their photo taken and give them the option of not going in.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

illegal knife?......nope

What crime may have been commited?

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I totally understand your points Toddy, especially having had to attend the result of knife, machete and sword attacks in the past as well as having been on the wrong end of them myself!

In the instance of the OP's situation I would say that informing the police might be over the top.
There is definitely a naivety issue - the alarm indicators are - the neck-er and the Rambo knife at work and the comments accredited to the young lad about knives.
There may be potential lack of offensive weapon education on the part of both the lad and his employer. (It wasn't clear in the first OP but later qualified that the lad was carrying the knife on his person - on private property and potentially at some point in public).

But who is going to educate them?
The OP? - be careful. Maybe tactfully promote i-net research - your assessment re potential response!
The police? - No crime = no time!

I have come across a number of instances in the past twelve months of both youngsters and mature adults carrying and using knives, axes and machetes in public and whilst trespassing and I believe that there is clearly a general lack of education about the issue (the law and the consequences) despite the frequent high profile events publicised in the media.

Even the availability of information about it on the internet to the so called I.T. savvy generation seems to make no difference. :(

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
The knife is not an illegal knife ,he was on private land for one thing, he said he used it in his work, which gives him reason to have it on him, the only thing the OP said about his knives was he didn't like them, the lad didn't do anything wrong, the OP noticed he had a neck knife on him, but didn't mention seeing the Rambo knife, until the lad was leaving, it could well have been in his car when he showed it to him,, he may well have just bought it, I have looked in the Law Books, and collecting stupid knives is not an offence, otherwise half of us would be in jail, I mean you have to be realistic, and make a judgement on the facts, and as far as I can see, the lad didn't do anything wrong, so leave him alone, maybe the OP should put a sign on his gate saying no entry, unless you have knives I like, and furthermore make sure people know they are having their photo taken and give them the option of not going in.

I might be wrong but being on private land does not make carrying a knife legal without the express permission of the landowner.

I don't believe a 'Rambo' knife is a tool, trying to suggest it is, is IMHO an attempt to circumvent the law.

You're right I forgot about the 'tacticcool' neck knife, depending on the length that could well have been illegal too.

As well as it being in a car, it could have just as easily been in his boot or in his back pocket.

I never suggested collecting stupid knives is illegal I suggested carrying stupid knives is illegal, maybe check again in those law books.

As far as I can see unless you are a policeman or a judge my reading of the situation is just as valid as yours, and if two reasonable members of the public with an interest in knives can't agree. I don't fancy his chances in front of a jury.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very true Jaeger, very true.

I admit that I'm usually inclined to make comments about it's not so much the size but the ability to use the tool properly that's of importance :D

I know young men who are incredibly skilled with knives, and other sharps, and they are as skilled with the little ones as they are with the biggest. I trust those lads implicitly, but there's always a numpty :sigh: If someone has a quiet word in his shell-like, it often helps him have a think about what he thinks he knows and is doing.
It doesn't always work :/ one young man I've watch grow up is virtually taunting folks to report him or, "come at me!", the way he behaves. I'm frankly surprised he hasn't been done for carrying yet. I'm very fond of some of his family, but he's trouble waiting to happen; especially around here.

Sorry Spandit :eek: not being of much help here.

M

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yeah all this talk of illegal this and that is getting old. Nothing illegal about having a shovel, a screw driver or knife when you're doing manual labour. Be real for a minute, this is about taste at its core. Unless OP was petrified by some lad with a cheap knife on his property then sure, mention it to the boss if it's that big an issue. Otherwise give him a break, he's got more of a right to use a knife at work than most of us do when playing silly buggers in the woods making spoons we already have dozens of in the kitchen drawer lol!

See it as a time to teach something new to someone, that's what i do every time I come across someone with a tool. Teach them a bit of what I know and gauge what they know, they might know more than me! And I've walking through my town with an axe on backpack going to public land plots collecting wind damaged branches and into pubs with tools to give to people. No one bats an eyelid, neither should we. In the right context only an idiot would be offended.

I think as a whole we need to be more logical and less judgemental of one another. Teach the unwise and sit to listen to wiser!

(On a similar note, an associate of mine had this Winchester brand hunting knife type thing, not great but he liked it. Once he knew my line of work and my hobbies he was open minded to all sorts of knives. he even felt his new knife was kinda crappy. I mentioned it may not be high end but it works! I showed him how to cross batton through hazel trees and how to sharpen it on the go with rocks etc. I then gave him 'nice' knife as a gift and made him made hima strop, he went on to buy water stones and although he had tacky swords and stuff on the wall he knew his knives each had a purpose and chose the custom Svord peasant knife I gave him as his new toy for playing in the woods due to the steel quality and easy going looks etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE