Merino Wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
For those of us who like natural fibres can I point you in the direction of Chocolate Fish. I have bought other gear including Swannie kit and this stuff is every bit as good. The lady who runs the firm, Amanda, is incredibly helpful and friendly. I couldn't recommend the firm highly enough. [I'm not linked to the company, just a very happy customer]. It's just a pity there's not more stores like it.

sodajoe said:
For those of us who like natural fibres can I point you in the direction of Chocolate Fish. I have bought other gear including Swannie kit and this stuff is every bit as good. The lady who runs the firm, Amanda, is incredibly helpful and friendly. I couldn't recommend the firm highly enough. [I'm not linked to the company, just a very happy customer]. It's just a pity there's not more stores like it.

Do you have any more info? Website, address, etc?

Cheers,

Phil.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have also dealt with Amanda and she is as helpful as you could wish for. I am a real merino convert now and their prices are by far the best. The only downside is their long sleeved tops do not have long enough sleeves for me so I have to get Icebreaker stuff at much higher prices. Amanda does assure me though that they are looking at getting longer sleeves.

The observant of you will notice the merino and possum fur hat that Ray was wearing a lot in the latest Wild Food programme. I have the gloves and they are toasty warm.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
nice one. I've been using Howies merino baselayers for a while and they are the best - they don't stink up like manmade stuff tends to, keep you warm when its cold and cool when it warms up a bit.

might be purchasing some stuff from here...

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a couple of old M&S merino wool jumpers which the moths have got at and they make perfect base layers for camping/walking trips, much better, I think, than synthetics. Check out your local charity shops.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
MagiKelly said:
I have also dealt with Amanda and she is as helpful as you could wish for. I am a real merino convert now and their prices are by far the best. The only downside is their long sleeved tops do not have long enough sleeves for me so I have to get Icebreaker stuff at much higher prices. Amanda does assure me though that they are looking at getting longer sleeves.

The observant of you will notice the merino and possum fur hat that Ray was wearing a lot in the latest Wild Food programme. I have the gloves and they are toasty warm.
If you are after Icebreaker stuff, try these folks. They are a shop but they post overseas, and they take the NZ sales tax off which pretty much covers the shipping costs. The web lady is everso nice and great at keeping you informed about how your orders are progressing and the shipping is fast too.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
treadlightly said:
I have a couple of old M&S merino wool jumpers which the moths have got at and they make perfect base layers for camping/walking trips, much better, I think, than synthetics. Check out your local charity shops.

In what way would they be "better than synethtics"???

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi Guys,
If you can get a couple days out of your synthetics you are lucky! i have to wear coolmax T-shirts for work and they start to ming after about 3 hours, and my smelly hansen lifa top is just as bad!!
lou

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Personally, I find the clammy feeling with synthetics is only related to polyester baselayers such as Coolmax or Malden Mills products. There is one brand of synthetic out there that positively will not feel clammy, and that is Helly Hansen's Lifa brand of polyproplyene base layers.

Don't get me wrong, I love wool and I wouldn't trade my wooly pully sweater for all the beers in Canada but to be flat out honest, I truly believe it to be lacking as a baselayer. The purpose of a baselayer is to transport moisture away from the skin and into the thermal layer where ideally, it is carried into the outside ambient air by the (hopefully) breathable outer layer. And to put it frankly, wool just doesn't cut the mustard in terms of moisture transportation. Warm? Oh gosh yes, it'll keep you toasty on days when you'll be shivering you rear end off in synthetics. I suppose this biased point of view of mine comes from doing high energy, fast paced sports where I'd be soaked to the skin if I didn't wear synthetics. And while I understand that bushcraft isn't really a fast paced sport, I do think that synthetics should not be dismissed outright!

Mind you, that's only my two cents!

Adam

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Another vote for the Arktis Antartica-great bit of design-long arms, thumbholes, long zip neck for venting (it is warm!) Smoothe face fabric and soft interior. Only comes in gren and black so maybe not for the style crowd.
Icebreaker is lovely but ever so expensive in the UK.
Possum fur hat.....sounds waaaaaaaaaaaarmmmm :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've gotta say, I find my merino baselayers wick much better than my synthetics, inculding HH Lifa prowool. If you haven't tried 'em, you don't know what you're missing.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
A couple of points I find both choclate fish and howies to have size problems there xxl is not as big as any of my other xl and arm pit to waist from s to xxl is only about an inch different. so if you are tall ,broad and have longish arms you might have to look elsewhere.

In reply to Andy I have been using merino wool base layers since 1978 when it was called botany wool and you could only get it in off white ,so we dyed it green or black. I have tryed most of the other types of synthetic none of which have come anywhere near merino . If you do heavy work (big sac, heavy sledge etc)and sweat a lot like me wicking is just a non starter . So long term comfort is the essential and in my experience ( I have camped for up to seven months in both the high Arctic and Antarctica) merino gives you that every time . My daughter (20) spent 3 months camping in the High Arctic last year (March to June ). On my recomondation and against that of the kit list used merino and was the only girl not to get chill blaines . The only other thing which has comes near was the old norwegian army string vest with the patches over the shoulders.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I second the comment about the ChocFish sizes being smaller than other stuff. I bought their large t-shirt and it is closer fitting than most of the medium stuff I usually buy. I know that base layers are meant to be close in order to work, but it is not a style I like and find it distinctly unflattering :rolleyes: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE