Mel Gibson's Apocalypto - and Insect stitches ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Anyone see this the other night?

Boy cuts leg, mother forces insect to bite pincers around cut, then breaks off body, leaving the head ( and closed pincers) , and closing the wound.

Made up Hollywood ? or a basis in reality ?

Loz

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As I recall the soldir ant of a marching ant colony can be used in this manner...never seen it done except in documenteries...

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
This technique is well-documented in both Ayurvedic surgery and in the Americas. I believe the classic paper on the subject is Gudger, E. W. (1925): "Stitching Wounds With the Mandibles of Ants and Beetles." [J. Amer. Med. Assoc. 84] if you can find it.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I recall reading this in "African Adventure"? a Willard Price book and wondered at the time if it was true..

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I have read about it somewhere and the soldier ants in Iraq were certainly big enough for small sutures (~2-3mm) should you have wanted to give it a go.

Cheers,
Steve

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I recall reading this in "African Adventure"? a Willard Price book and wondered at the time if it was true..
I have a whole heap of random knoweldge gleaned as a youngster from those books :)

One that's yet to be of use is a technique to let you lead a tame cheetah around by hooking you finger behind its canines... I'm sure it'll come in handy one day though!

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
forces insect to bite pincers around cut, then breaks off body, leaving the head ( and closed pincers) , and closing the wound.

Made up Hollywood ?
I seem to recall a certain Jack Rambo doing this in First Blood. It could have been another movie, but I've definitely seen it somewhere.

Atesca

Jan 22, 2009
Waltham Abbey
Friday uses this technique in NBC's new series Crusoe, but I wouldn't use this programme as a source of bushcraft tips, unless you want to build an all wood, 6 orange, pulley driven juice maker at the next moot...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE