meeting kit list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 16, 2011
coventry
hello all newbie member! i am attending rough close in january! just wondering what kit people will be taking out this winter and how much is to much. lists? suggestions? what do you take? thanks joe

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
how much is to much.
I dont think there is too much kit in winter, the more comfort the better in winter meets, they are great for good warming food, chatting with the guys and girls around the fire, so if you like to cook then bring out the cast irons. if you like a social bring a raise fire and a large tarp to cover it and a good comfortable seat.

all down to what you feel like doing.

Suggestions?
A warming Spirit always helps to keep the cold away, and a good seat will make the evening more enjoyable. have a good time

what do you take?
as i was bored at work i put together a little list to organise myself, seen below. This is my setup for a meet + or - a few things.
kit.jpg

and food.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
just wondering what kit people will be taking out this winter and how much is to much.

Just come along with stuff you're happy to use :cool: . As it'll be January you mighty want to consider whether your sleeping bag might benefit from the aid of a bit of extra insulation ~ a blanket above and/or below. Warm clothes would be a good idea as well :cool: . EDIT: And remember, waterproofs are also windproofs :cool:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2011
coventry
i have my personal kit. I was just interested how my kit which i have put together as a novice with no overnight experience compares to what some of the more seasond guys on here are using? obviously every kit it different and personal.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
As Decorum said just use stuff you're happy to use and don't worry about kit snobbery or that people might laugh at your kit. We all appreciate people use different kit and what suits you might not suit another person.

The best bit of advise I can give is to bring something to sit on round the fire like a folding chair and being winter time something to insulate it. I use an old roll mat and it makes the world of difference between a cold bum or a warm one :)

And Steve (mesquite) usually has tonnes of kit with him :)
seriously though i went to rough close and found absolutely no kit snobbery and everyone was very friendly (apart from martin k9 trying to sell em a woodlore knife:))
i took some bits with me i hadnt used before so i could pick folks brains about them and got a weekends tution on dutch oven/cast iron cooking as well.
must get down to another one at some point

udamiano

On a new journey
hi bushcraftsurvival,

the basics are:-

Essential :

A good pleasant Attitude and friendly nature

plus

Something to sleep within (tent/hammock, tarp, etc)
Something to sleep on (insulation)
something to eat with (plate,knife,fork,spoon/Or SporK!!!)
something to drink with (Cup,)
Something to cook on (Rough Close does not allow ground fires!)
Something to cook in (pots/pans, etc)
Something to sleep in (Sleeping bag, go cold weather on this)
Something to sit on (See Mequite's comment)
Something to keep you warm (good winter clothes)
something to keep you dry (Waterproofs)
Something to eat (to last you the weekend)
Something to store water in (saves you going backwards and forwards to the tap)
Something to see at night with (head torch, etc)

Additional and optional:

something to cut with (knife)
Something to keep out the cold ( a nice blanket for around the fire)
snacks and liquid refreshment
any kit you want to test.
any new jokes for the campfire
any amusing tales

I hope that helps, it easier than giving exact kit list, as each of us is different, as said before bring what you have from the above doesn't matter who made it or how much it cost, as long as it does what it should. Best of all I hope you enjoy yourself...

Feel free to add anything I've missed folks!

Day

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... as a novice with no overnight experience compares to what some of the more seasond guys on here are using?

It's a weekend Meet so, stripped down to the most basic ~ it's camping
winking0026.gif
and generally, basic camping equipment will suffice for most Meets. As the next Rough Close Meet is in January, I'll be using a good warm sleeping bag
cool0013.gif
and have an extra, warm, outer layer to keep the chill out should the temperature drop excessively ~ added to that I'll make sure I have access to warm hand and head wear
party0053.gif

I air socks and boots* overnight ~ dry feet tend to be more comfortable for longer
party0051.gif

If you think that your sleeping bag might not be up to dealing with low temperatures, an old trick is to have a blanket beneath and another one above you.

Waterproofs make for good windproofs ~ they also help to slow radiated heat loss
animal0076.gif

* Including lifting the insoles.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Don't bother taking a stove unless you fancy a private brew, you can usually squeeze a pot in the side of the communal fire no bother. There'll probably be a big pot of water on and plenty of iron mongery to hang stuff off :)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... you can usually squeeze a pot in the side of the communal fire no bother.

We tend to not have a main communal area, opting instead for multiple smaller congregations in the evenings at a few of the pitches ~ it's better to make proper provision for self catering than to plan on rolling up at someones pitch and beg indulgence(s) at meal times.

They'll probably be a big pot of water on and plenty of iron mongery to hang stuff off :)

Sometimes yes, sometimes no ~ as above, it's always better to be sure and the only way to be sure is to have the ability to sort yourself out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE