Meal of the Bushcraft Gods!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
Food always tastes better outdoors ! I have never really been interested in ration packs and MREs. Part of the fun of being out there is eating well!!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
8823.gif
Just found out my "English Rarebit" or "Gin Gan Goo" as we call it has just won the Alpkit one pot wonder competition.

Guess who's got some titanium cookware coming his way.
jumper.gif

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
cool, what competition was that?

Have you ever made your rarebit with `hair of the dog` cider you found in the billy the next morning. I bet you have!

sparksfly

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
London
8823.gif
Just found out my "English Rarebit" or "Gin Gan Goo" as we call it has just won the Alpkit one pot wonder competition.

jumper.gif

In an example of "domestic bushcraft" I just knocked some up with cheap french lager, mild cheddar and coleman's mustard. Very nice, I'll definitely use it when camping next weekend.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
fried egg sarnies were a favourite.

Probably the most famous meal of the British Armed Forces, where it is known as an Egg Banjo. Best cooked in the cheapest possible fat/lard, and complete with grubby fingerprints, the banjo has sustained Her Majesty's finest over many years. Purists eat them without any accompaniment, whilst others argue over the merits of red or brown sauce.

It is called a banjo because of the rapid hand movements made by the eater as he tries to brush yolk from the front of his combat jacket.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
8823.gif

jumper.gif

Wayhey! Well done Wayland - I can certainly vouch for the excellence of your GinGanGoo :D

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
There is something mystical about bacon, eggs, mushrooms, and tattie scone first thing in the morning, cooked over a fire with strong sweet coffee whilst looking over a loch with the mist rising from the water and the sun just coming over the horizon....ah Heaven!

Rod

On a new journey
I have to admit one of my favourites is English Rarebit.

Start with some beer in your billy and break in some cheese to melt.

Add some mustard and stir together.

Dip some bread or bannock into it and enjoy.

We often make this at living history events and it's always different because we try to get a local beer, a local cheese and sometimes even a local mustard.

If you can find local bread, even better.

This is a local rarebit......for locals........

I remember the effects of this one Wayland -top nosh ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Another breakfast treat I discovered is this

Ingrediants;
1x Small can Beans
1x Mini-Babybel
2" saussicion sec.

chop up the saussicion sec and fry in a pan (you can do it dry, it'll sweat out oil as it cooks) until golden.
add beans and heat, chop up babybel and stir in until it melts.
Eat with bannock/flatbread.

I came up with this at the Moot when my sausages went off overnight and I needed a decent breakfast.

J

Jimcatt

My favourite on an open fire, Naan/pita bread opened to form a pocket, stuffed with cubed cheese, beaten egg, spicy sausage (any) S&P to taste, slapped on a hot rock , 2 mins flip, cook for another 2 mins. I like sweet chilli sauce as a dip........

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
mmmmmmmmmm

I hate you guys, I'm starving now....

French toast.....

Arrghh

*Goes outside to find a couple of fresh eggs - the chickens are hiding them again*

luddy

Oct 27, 2008
SW
Fresh mackerel sauteed, splash of apple juice or chop an apple and bung it in, elderflowers if in season, with some bread and butter.

Or: wild mushroom porridge - make porridge with water, add salt then fried mushrooms.

Hawthorn butties: young hawthorn leaves in between slices of bread and butter.

Rabbit stew.

Grilled rabbit.

Getting hungry now. All we have round here are foxes and badgers. And magpies. None of which are legal or tasty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE