Meal of the Bushcraft Gods!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod

On a new journey
Take:

1x sachet of tescos wild mushroom cuppa soup - (not the wet behind the ears nancy boy low cal rubbish)
1x tin of corned beef
black pepper/splash of worcester sauce

stick ingredients into your billy/crusader. Add a small splash of hot water to break up the beef & wet the soup mix. Heat through. should be a thick porridge consistancy.

Serve immediately. Mop out your billy with bread/bannock/tortillas/pittas etc

You can also try it with tomato cuppa soup and add tabasco/chilli sauce if you are feeling really frisky :red:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice. Not what I was expecting i have to say.

Now here is my meal to the bushcraft gods. I used to work coppicing at Hatfield Forest, we had a fire for cooking tea and lunch over, fried egg sarnies were a favourite. We had stalkers come in to cull the fallow deer and on days when they got one I would slice some onions with olive oil and take it with the liver out to the coppice. One day en route we picked up a bunch of really small fresh horse mushrooms all that fried up on a crisp autumn morning after a few hours graft.....yum tum.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Fresh mackerel (fresh as in caught 5 minutes before) grilled on that most sacrilegious of bushcraft devices . . . . . the throwaway barbecue . . . . . ahh my mouths watering already

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
fresh mackerel cooked over an open fire or barby -- Mr Saddle tramp You are on my wave length Sir -- Also washed down may I say with a good Scrumpy Cider (pips -twigs - and wasps and all)

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
gnocchi smothered in tomato, red onion and spiced chorizo. This isn't just any food its bushcrafter food

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A fresh caught trout (or two) slow roasted over an open fire right along the stream. Lay it skin side down on a piece of bark or a rock, peal back the skin, and pick the flakes of white steamy flesh from the bones. With a couple fresh cattail shoots packed inside the body cavity - if you can force yourself to take the time to gather them after you catch your trout!

During hunting season, fresh deer tenderloin chops seared in butter in a heavy frypan, with pan drippings gravy, and a side dish of real wild rice cooked up with real maple sugar/syrup! Will definitely drive away those frosty chills of December/January! And fresh biscuits, of course!

I just finished supper, and now I've made myself hungry again. Oh, woe is I.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
A fresh caught trout (or two) slow roasted over an open fire right along the stream. Lay it skin side down on a piece of bark or a rock, peal back the skin, and pick the flakes of white steamy flesh from the bones. With a couple fresh cattail shoots packed inside the body cavity - if you can force yourself to take the time to gather them after you catch your trout!

Do the cattail shots(No idea?) add a lot of flavour because I find trout really bland.

During hunting season, fresh deer tenderloin chops seared in butter in a heavy frypan, with pan drippings gravy, and a side dish of real wild rice cooked up with real maple sugar/syrup! Will definitely drive away those frosty chills of December/January! And fresh biscuits, of course!

This is more what I thought of I must admit.

My favourite is eggy bread from the same frying pan as the bacon. My and three other leaders once went though all the bread, and eggs making this over, and over again.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Cattail shoots have quite a noticable flavour. It is the wrong time of year to find them. Basically you pull up the shoot, and root. Bake the root, and peel off the leaves until get to the core and thats the bit you eat. The leaves that peeled off can be used to weive around the fish, or make a daft hat or dilly bag.

it is possible to mistake a iris for a catail, but the iris has very differant structure to its leaves, its root is knobly and when cooked is purple and smells like pig poo. Cattail also retain last years growth which is obvious. The roots are best midwinter. Personally I like the shoots with something salty, they are an odd taste, I guess smoked fish would quite nice with them too.

My bushgrub is boil water with jerky, ear fungi, chopped deseeded rosehips, and then add pot noodle. it makes the pot noodle taste like food. There always a space in my head for recipes you can cook from ingredients you can find in wierd rural shops.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have to admit one of my favourites is English Rarebit.

Start with some beer in your billy and break in some cheese to melt.

Add some mustard and stir together.

Dip some bread or bannock into it and enjoy.

We often make this at living history events and it's always different because we try to get a local beer, a local cheese and sometimes even a local mustard.

If you can find local bread, even better.

This is a local rarebit......for locals........

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
LOL that sounded like the M&S advert of bushcraft food, made me chuckle Mike

Here is mine

Chorizo (or if not fussy any old sausages)
Tin chopped toms
Tin Mixed Beans
Dried Thyme
Salt and Pep

Chuck it in a wee pot cook it up, lovely taste from the chirizo and toms and the pulses give you that little extra staying power, i have substiuted the chirizo for just about everything else and it still works, chicken, suasages, peperami etc etc etc

I just finished supper, and now I've made myself hungry again. Oh, woe is I.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Yes, those cattail shoots/roots do take a bit of searching/picking to get to the good parts. Ditto the Arrowroot growing near them. For a little "spice", dig up some Jerusalem Artichoke (wild parsnip). Or mix in some wild mint. And a handfull of watercress picked from up by the spring dredged through those pan drippings to "wilt" it a bit makes for a more ... well rounded meal. (Time of the growing season specific, of course.)

Eggy bread. Growing up we called this French Toast. Scrambled eggs with a dash of milk, dip your bread in it, then fry on both sides. Drowned in real maple syrup of course. And half venison half pork sausage on the side.

Yeah, them was ... good eating times!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE