Maya Dust

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Hello all.
I bought a tin of Maya Dust and not to put to fine a point on it ..............its rubbish.
I was taking about 50 strikes on the firesteel to get it to go up, in the interest of science I repeated this several times with the same result each time.
"Lights from a single spark " so it says on the tin.........hmmm me thinks not.
Also the tin says an average of 28 lights per tin, working on that principle I need to go and get some real lessons in Firesteel marksman ship, as my sparks, the same as everyone elses sparks go wherever they decide, the only way to be sure of getting a light is to use loads and loads of the stuff and hope that one sparks hits somethign that might consider combusting.

Overall not impressed, though I am will to conceed that I have got a bad tin if everyone else says theirs is great and works everytime.

Over to you lot
Garry

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He he, I agree. I get Maya sticks and scrape them until I've got a little bit of dust, that catches straight off every time. It's a bit more long winded and people ask why I'm carrying a bit of wood, but they like it when I show them!

I'd take it back if I were you :( Or, mix it with something else, I'm sure the guys on here can think of a few things that would help it light :D

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Well firstly at least it isnt just me.
Secondly Tony, love the idea with the Maya sticks, will try that one next.
Also like the cotton wool idea as well motorbike man, but I find cotton wool and vasaline goes up well enough on its own.

NOT buying that again
Garry

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i only bought some because the tin was a good size for making charcloth.
as to tinder, vasaline+cotton wool is about the only prepared tinder i find i need.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Vaseline soaked cotton wool and a strip of bicycle inner tube is all I have ever used to light fires since I was a kid with 100% success.

I practice other methods but I stick to this one because it works every time when I need fire most.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Yep the stuff sucks big time...

I brought two tubs of the stuff and used the first tub up and was very disappoint - I now keep thistle heads in it, then add some maya dust, from the second tub, in with the thistle heads as they burn so quick, but definatly always light with one strike, they then set fire to the maya dust producing a bit more heat and a prolonged flame to set fire to the twig bundles.

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
I got some Maya dust for £1.50 when YHA was shutting down...
I agree, it's rubbish. Waste of money, even at that price.

However, I see again people recommending Vaselined cotton wool.

Might I suggest candlewax soaked cotton wool? I carry it all the time. It's less messy, more waterproof and easy to make. I do a batch in the bottom of a beer can when I have the oven on.

Shave a candle onto the wool- heat it up- Bob's your uncle.

If you use too much wax, you can still 'rough it up' with a knife like any good tinder, and a thumbnail sized piece burs for a couple of minutes

First made it by accident at Glasto in '95 when the candle in my tinderbox melted in the sun.

I keep it in my Maya Dust tin.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
I am most amused to find out that the general opinion of Maya Dust (tm ----cant see why no one else would want it lol ) is less then perfect.

Nice to know its not just me
Garry

C

CatFisH

Maya dust is a fancy name for what we call fat pine...I use it frequently for getting a fire started...never had much luck with it catching a spark so it doesnt appear to be good tinder like char cloth...once you add flame to fat pine it catches quickly and I am able to get a nice fire going even in wet conditions...fat pine is plentiful in my woods though...I always collect some when the opportunity arises...

found this stump of fat pine near a Pin Oak flat..chopped off a sliver and lit it...

fatpinestump1R.jpg

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Hi mate, am sure if you do a search for LIght My Fire on google yo will find their website, they also supply tentipi's and all sorts of other intresting things

Garry

leon-1

Guys, Maya dust is one of those things that is just there to kick you in the teeth.

On the last Dartmoor meet after myself and moduser had declared exactly how rubbish this stuff was and to demonstrate the fact moduser got out a knife and a tin of this stuff, he struck a spark into the tin and Whoompf!!!

It worked and the pair of us felt like a right pair of planks. As far as I am concerned I think it is a complete waste of money, but just at the time you wish to demonstrate how bad it is it will work, but I would never trust to the stuff after the results (or lack of) that I have seen with it.:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE