Maughton Scar Whetstones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I got a present this morning :D :D
Dan the little whetstones are beautiful :D and they work too ........played with my Opinel with them and it's razor sharp :cool:
cheers,
Mary
I've just spend five minutes rubbing one of the unfinished pieces on the back step (concrete) and guess what ? :D It works beautifully and has made a really good job of scouring it smooth :cool:
I let the dust build up, it's been raining here, so effectively the more I rubbed the more the stone polished up :D
Lovely stuff :D Thanks again Dan.M

See link http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58592
and page 2 post #33
Hi quite a few members have shown an interest in these so I hope this can be kept simple :pokenest:
if I put up a list of ideas I'd like to swap Whetstones for :-

1 Amadou
2 Flint striker
3 carved wood - like a wood spirit ?
4 I've a small 8 oz. axe head and a new shaft (too big) someone puts them together
AXE.jpg

I'll post it out along with some Whetstones.
5 any Blacksmith forged work ?
6 wheel on a stick with dial map measure
7 sighting compass
8 Also open to offers ?
if there's a short fall in the Barter value of Whetstone I always add some Sulphur Matches and if drilled they come with "Free" string
On offer
lotcut.jpg

can be cut with hacksaw and shaped with files and sandpaper
maryx3.jpg

If we Swap via PM's and I alter as and when on here it might save this post getting too big
cheers all Danny

Last edited:

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
these are fantastic looking stones, are you looking to trade and is that the list you have on your thread. I have a spoon making knife if that helps

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You made such a neat job of drilling the holes Dan, that I'm kind of worried I'm more likely to split the piece I've been playing around with.
Did you use a special drill ? I notice that you countersunk the edges :approve: I know I won't get as trim as your finished ones but I just wanted to see if I could manage to make a useable hone from one of the raw pieces.

cheers,
M

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
You made such a neat job of drilling the holes Dan, that I'm kind of worried I'm more likely to split the piece I've been playing around with.
Did you use a special drill ? I notice that you countersunk the edges :approve: I know I won't get as trim as your finished ones but I just wanted to see if I could manage to make a useable hone from one of the raw pieces.

cheers,
M

Hi Mary maybe I should say I used a Green Kryptonite drill from the Krypton tool shop just to bump up the trade value :D but I actually used a really cheap "Mickey mouse" set of drills from the local auction mart. It says Cobalt coated in big letters then for wood aluminum and plastic in really tiny same color as the case letters, that I didn't read until I got home :( But they worked just fine on the Whetstone :D I drilled all the way through with something like an 1/8" then the hole for the string then just counter sunk it with a larger one.
cheers Danny

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I got mine thismorning - and they are beautiful and work well.....my oppie and SAK are now RAZOR sharp!
Great stuff!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
They look the biz!Can i offer to make you a flint striker of your choice of style for one?Or i can make you a knife like the Gransfors one for a couple of decent sized ones?Let me know.Cheers.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Got mine today and they are superb. Want some more now for friends. As soon as your broadband is sorted I'll be in contact. Cheers Danny, you are a star. The string was just fab.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
That wouldn't be me by any chance :confused: OK I've had a few inquires asking what grit size are they ? and how do you use them ?
See post #17 Then those that don't know myself included learn something new.
I've added a couple of photos to post #1
cheers all Danny

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That wouldn't be me by any chance :confused: OK I've had a few inquires asking what grit size are they ? and how do you use them ?
So here's a swap offer I post someone who knows about sharpening and hones and grit size etc. a couple of whetstones and they try them out and put a photo use tutorial up in DIY and Traditional Crafts. Then those that don't know myself included learn something new.
I've added a couple of photos to post #1
cheers all Danny

I can do that for free first thing in the morning. Saying that though, I want to buy some specifically sized stones off you.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
hey QDanT have you considered making round (or roundish, octagonal) axe stones?

i would love one of your snazzy whetstones to replace my rubbish lansky stone:)

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE