Matty 2 Fatty's Light weight All-In-1 cooking system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matty 2 Fatty

Jan 23, 2011
London
thought id show you my prototype all in 1 cooking system.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

550ml Aluminum pot with screw lid = 72g
Pot cozy with lid = 23g
Aluminum wind shield = 23g
Soda can stove (max fuel capacity 2 oz) = 11g
primer pan = 7g
2 oz Fuel bottle empty = 16g
Aluminum folding spork = 20g
Silicon lip guard for drinking hot food right out of the pot= 6g
Plastic prep mat = 11g
Foam Holding Pad for eating hot food right out of the pot = 4g
Total weight 191g
You could make this lighter by removing some items or cutting a few bits down on size!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that weighs just a smidgeon less than my mug!

if you really wanted to shave some weight off without altering performance;
i think a whitebox style stove is lighter than a pop can stove
lexan cutlery is lighter than aluminum (so is wood)
i'm guessing that your primer pan is the lid from a tin? swap it for a little bit of tin foil or even the bottom from another pop can.

there you go mate, i've just saved you a good ten grams;)

my compact cook set is pretty similar to yours actually, only difference really is that i've got two stainless steel cooking pots and a stainless steel windshield/hobo stove. needless to say, my kit weighs about 4 times as much as yours!

stuart

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I really like the way all that fits together, and the weight of it. Out of interest, what's the flame contact area on the bottom of your pot, it doesn't look as if it would get the majority of the heat from the pop can burner. It doesn't look as if it would be too stable either. Just a thought, it might be worth making a pop stove where the flames are more centered, and make some sort of wire mesh stand for your billy.

Jon

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....Out of interest, what's the flame contact area on the bottom of your pot, it doesn't look as if it would get the majority of the heat from the pop can burner. It doesn't look as if it would be too stable either. Just a thought, it might be worth making a pop stove where the flames are more centered, and make some sort of wire mesh stand for your billy.

Jon

flame contact area doesn't look brilliant to be honest, i'd not noticed originally that your pop can stove was a side-burner type. i think you might get better results with a top burner stove and some kind of stand for your billy as Hetzen suggests. whatever you do you need to make sure that you keep the windshield close to the stove and pot so that you get good transfer of heat up the sides of the pot, that's the thing that i've found to make the most difference to the efficiency of these little home-made burners.

you may already know it, but this is a really good website for home-made stoves.

stuart

Matty 2 Fatty

Jan 23, 2011
London
After reading both comments from Hetzen and Shaggystu I went away and built a top-burner stove with pot stand and conducted some experiments with my glamorous assistant Jenny (my reluctant gf). Experiment was as follows: to boil 500ml cold tap water on 1oz fuel in my garden - on a top-burner stove and a side-burner. Results: both bloomed around the same time, both burned out at about the same time and both brought to the boil in around the same time. I did however find the side-burning stove had a more stable and consistent flame.

"It doesn't look as if it would be too stable either"
Gotta say filled with water its pretty stabile.

And as Shaggystu said,
"whatever you do you need to make sure that you keep the windshield close to the stove and pot so that you get good transfer of heat up the sides of the pot, that's the thing that i've found to make the most difference to the efficiency of these little home-made burners" This is very true and as my pot is tall it benefits a lot from this.

Also found that the side-burner is more versatile as you can sit any other pot straight on top of it with out the aid of a pot stand.
So far gonna stay with the side-burner stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE