Matts Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A little off topic, but for those of you who like jerky, try dehydrated minced beef. Dry fry some minced (ground to our American friends), drain then rinse with boiling water to remove fat and dry. Some Americans call this 'Hamburger Rocks', but it works very well, keeps for months, and is a good base for spag bol and curry:)

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Toby,

I dry marinated in an open bowl for about 4 hours then into the oven that had a very slight residual warmth and after about 2 more hours with the lamp on it was fine. My meat being fillet steak was very dry to start with and I sliced it fairly thinly at about 2mm.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
my main mix for beef or venison is:

Good Japanese Soy
Demara sugar
garlic salt
onion granules
dash of good Worcestershire Sauce

But I have made loads of other marinade including some Christmas turkey jerky with orange juice, mace, nutmeg, cinnamon, and minced fresh cranberries (my one concoction).

If you are after good book I can recommend Just Jerky by Mary Bell and there are even some, I don't know if I dare say
some
Vegie ones!:yikes:

Now I have said it!

I feel like I must eat some manly meat! ;) :D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I've just put some more in - 2 big pieces of sirloin ribboned up with my dry mix of mexican salt, cayenne and a dash of scankers smoke powder (it's strong stuff that Neil :D)

I've found a 35 degree setting on the oven which feels perfect so now I just have to wait for a few hours :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've read his with great interest as I would love to try to make some myself, but I have one question. Shouldn't the meat be dried at a warmer temp like 72 to prevent any nasty bacteria growing? All the H+S and basic food hygiene courses I've done say this is the min temp you should do meat at..?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I've read his with great interest as I would love to try to make some myself, but I have one question. Shouldn't the meat be dried at a warmer temp like 72 to prevent any nasty bacteria growing? All the H+S and basic food hygiene courses I've done say this is the min temp you should do meat at..?

I use a dehydrator now so don't have to bother about the temp that much but most guides I have read state that you should start of the drying at 160F/71C to kill of bacteria. There was a really good factsheet produced by Florida Uni. (Fact Sheet FCS 8504) on safe drying of meat and fish but although I can find referance to it everywhere but can no longer find actual factsheet! If I can remember I used to dry in the oven at 75C.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Just remembering the past trainings, before all the e-coli incidents the guidlines for cooking anything was 62 C, then it was increased to 72C in England and 82 in Scotland. This temp was to be maintained for at least 2 mins. So it seems that if this temp was maintained for the last 2 mins you would be guaranteed(ish) no nasties ?

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
We have a massive dehumidifer in our house because we just got flooded. You've just given me an idea! So I just need to heat it a little to pasteurise it and then put it on a tray in front of the dehumidifier? Sounds like a crafty plan. :)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The second lot was in the oven all night and this morning I decided to give it a hour at 60 and that finished it perfectly and its now well cling wrapped and stashed for Deli next weekend.

Can I ask how best to store it for 1 week?

The third lot (I know, I've gone jerky bonkers) made with the same dry marinade mix as the second lot is in the oven as we speak only I used some lean quick fry steak.

LOL - one of the kids has just asked is it ready yet as I'm typing this :)

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
Matt,

Stop there.

It is a disease, it's an addiction.

Before you know it, you will be in a nice restaurant, your other half will order a steak, then when you look at it, you will dream of eating that steak jerky'd.

Quit now before you spend countless pounds on minute steaks and soy sauce!!:lmao:

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
clingwrapped? as in tucked away in plastic? i was under the impression that was a fast way to ruin jerky.

does anyone here use the thicker slices like in biltong or do all use the thin slices method?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
clingwrapped? as in tucked away in plastic? i was under the impression that was a fast way to ruin jerky.

does anyone here use the thicker slices like in biltong or do all use the thin slices method?

I sometimes make it with 3/4" battons but it takes a lot longer and I am impatient so normally use thin slices. But I normally don't use minute steaks but in stead buy mini roasting joints and part freeze it so I can slice at the angle to the grain I want.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt,

Stop there.

It is a disease, it's an addiction.

Before you know it, you will be in a nice restaurant, your other half will order a steak, then when you look at it, you will dream of eating that steak jerky'd.

Quit now before you spend countless pounds on minute steaks and soy sauce!!:lmao:

Too late I'm afraid :naughty:

Yes, I did wrap it in cling film but as I was doing it I thought that it would sweat and ruin so I swapped it out for tinfoil.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Here is a couple of quick 'cheats' dry marinade that I have tried for the first time and I thought that they were pretty good.

1) French Onion Soup mix. You don't need mush so you can still make up the soup.
2) A couple of sachets of Schwartz Cajun shotz (about 20p each for 5g)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE