Match Case With Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I would like a black aluminium one.

Will Her Majesty's Customs and Excise be wanting a cut too?

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Also this is the tally list I have so far....please check to both make sure you are on the list and that the number and materials are correct. I will keep editing this post as the thread grows.

Andylaser-------3A
stuarty---------2B
MarkG----------1B
shackleton------1A
ranger----------1B
crofter----------1B
jon-------------1B ,1A
wayne----------1B,1A
alick------------1B,1A
Dougie----------1A
Bushwacker Bob--1A
leon-1-----------1B,2A
boaty------------1B
Danzo------------2B
Doc--------------1A
NickBristol--------1A
gurushaun--------1B,1A
Quarterstaff------2B
grumit------------1B, 1A
maximus otter-----2B
Hjaltlander--------2B
Great Pebble------1B

Total-------------22B,14A

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Grumit,

If the post can find guernsey then you are in. :eek:):

Amazing, now about 40 cases in just a few days. I will call Keith midweek next and give him an update. I will give him a link to this thread too. Getting onto forums is not too high in his priority list, but I think he would be surprised by the turnout.

Good kit speaks for itself I think. This is good kit from a good guy.

I ordered one of Keith's cases from LLBean back in about 1989 or 1990. The minute it arrived I sent him a letter (yea a letter :shock: , no internet back then :?: ) expressing my appreciation for the simple but sure design. Since then we have been in and out of contact over the years and I still marvel at the simplicity and sureness of these cases. I do not use the compass for wilderness navigation, but I have been surprised by how often it is a convenient tool. The matches are used very infrequently but are set should I need them. I also carry a couple of needles wound with a bit of waxed thread for a minimal repair kit in mine.

Not sure what sort of strike-anywhere matches you have but ours are 55mm to 60mm. My most recent ones needed a slight trim to fit the case properly. It seems that the stick has been both lengthened and thinned....not exactly the way to improve them in my view.

Once the cases arrive in your hands, take a few moments to measure your matches and make sure they are not too long. The plug is properly placed with a twist to tension the cords. Should the matches be too long they will strike....not a good thing. :yikes:

Silva packaging on these recommended matches be carried tips down, away from the plug, but half up half down packs better and that is what I do. I have carried one of these cases with Diamond strike-anywhere matches daily for over 14 years.

I highly recommend these and hope you all like them as much as I do. Hopefully the August compasses will be good and you can soon share my excitement with these cases.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the laws in the uk governing strike anywhere matches are stricter than in the US the result is that our matches do not light so easly and do not flare up as impressivley as the US variety.

though not always the case british matches are usually slighty smaller (the heads certainly are)

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
Schwert, you're a glutton for punishment, eh? :yikes: I think Kieth should make you a full time associate.

But seriously, I: need some patches made you know anyone who can do them quick? :eek:):

Seriously though, it's mighty nice of you to get this together for this forum too. Ya da man. :super:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Sometimes the sharpened stick just cannot help but poke. :?:

Same issues, different IP address...

No engraving, no embroidery, same old compass problems...Keith was just born a decade too early...otherwise he probably would be all over these places supplying great cases worldwide...so instead he has a tired old geeky chemist playing the advocate....

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I think you are all going to like these matchcases. They are most definately the dog's ******** (that means good, right? ******** mean bad and dog's bullocks means good? :lol: )

I got the one pictured in a forum trade from fellow in Kentucky. Traded an SAK for it and really like this finely crafted piece of kit. I am currently waiting for my aluminum version.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I bought a K&M case through Cabela's four or five years ago. Heavy, yes, but superbly made and damn near indestructible, I can certainly recommend them to anyone after this sort of case. Pretty rotten of Cabela's to switch to a copy, although doubtless they had their reasons (cost, most likely).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE