Manbag - yes or no?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Manbags as daypacks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I use the old Mk VII gas mask bag a lot.....

BAG.jpeg

Or a snugpak response pack, but that's more of a bumbag

Ditto on the MKVII, a cracking satchel and, please excuse my pedantry, your photo is of a MKVI.
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I used to carry a Maxpedition jumbo s but found I used to fill it and then it became a pain to carry. I sold that and changed to a Maxp Remora, smaller but can still get all I need within.
The worst is water due to its weight and bulk so have moved onto the source/platypus folding bottles.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a shoulderbag I made out of canvas with a rabbit skin cover ... not as "organised" or "Tactical" as a Maxpedition - but it holds plenty of stuff when I wander around the woods for a few hours. No one has made any "nice purse" jokes or comments:) I used an old gasmask bag (until it fell apart) before that and had used a modern tactical bag as well - but I prefer "home made" when I can get round to making things:)

Last edited:

pwb

A newish manbag convert here. Bought a Finnish gas mask bag and really like it, good strong build.
A week or so ago bought one of those Yugo bags too. It's not as thick canvas as the Fin bag but it's doubled up layers so still pretty strong, not used it much yet though.

Pete.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
image.jpg

Issue grab bag (man bag) pretty good for slinging round yourself on ops or at home in the woods. It's a yes for me and my iPad fits good in it

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Here's mine

DSC_0163_zps4219db61.jpg

Its a copy of a Maxpedition I think? Anyway its just big enough to hold a Crusader System in the main pouch plus a few bits and bobs in the two smaller pouches. To be honest its too small to be practical.

I only really use it now to organise my stuff when I'm 'car camping'. Quite handy to have your camera, knife, mess kit etc in one place but then I guess I could do that with a dry bag or similar.

Thanks for the info on that picked one up this week. £20 delivered is a great price and the turnaround was very quick

should be all I need for a day out once i've made a few mods to it

cheers

Mitchellsfold

Oct 4, 2011
Somerset
I've got a Jumbo Versapack. Use it almost daily especially useful on half day walks with the dog. All the bushcraft/FAK essentials plus snacks for both of us. Stainless wide mouth flask fits neatly plus binos. The carry is something you adapt to and a palm on the front edge when your moving on is all it takes. I leave my rucksack for full days and when I need a camelbak/bladder. I have a Fossil canvas number for urban use/ less items. Tkmaxx is a good place to try.

Sent from the UK using Tapatalk

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Yes for short walks in the outdoors which require stuff. No for about town. Then again, isn't a briefcase / laptop case a manbag as well?

A Maxped Sabrecat is my "basecamp bag" and I am very fond of the Maxped Sitka for short walks.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm with Chris The Cat, Barbour Tarras for me, has been for years, enough for a day bimble, smart enough for town/travel. Also gives that air of seasoned traveller don't try to take advantage of me. (A company I think called Nomad used to make what we jokingly called "Lebanese War Correspondent" luggage which looked like that as folk got less hassle carrying it as they looked gnarly.) It's getting on a bit these days and looking slightly frayed but that's part of the charm and it's still bombproof. Also have a big Barbour heavy heavy duty canvas planting bag with brass fittings. They were made for the Forestry Commission many years ago and they carry huge amounts - but everytime I take it out folk offer me large amounts of money for it. But I shant part as they're like hens teeth and I love it.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I'm with Chris The Cat, Barbour Tarras for me, has been for years, enough for a day bimble, smart enough for town/travel. Also gives that air of seasoned traveller don't try to take advantage of me. (A company I think called Nomad used to make what we jokingly called "Lebanese War Correspondent" luggage which looked like that as folk got less hassle carrying it as they looked gnarly.) It's getting on a bit these days and looking slightly frayed but that's part of the charm and it's still bombproof. Also have a big Barbour heavy heavy duty canvas planting bag with brass fittings. They were made for the Forestry Commission many years ago and they carry huge amounts - but everytime I take it out folk offer me large amounts of money for it. But I shant part as they're like hens teeth and I love it.

What he said!

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Hells bells chaps . I you do insist on a man bag can we agree on a more macho name please.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE