Manbag - yes or no?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Manbags as daypacks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I find that if I exercise a little discipline and only take the things I actually need on my bimbles and hikes, I enjoy myself more. Accordingly, I started to wonder if my current daypack, a 30ltr Karimor, is massively too big for anything short of an overnighter. Yesterday I went out with slightly too much stuff for my pockets, but way too little to justify a backpack. I opted for overstuffed pockets.

I've been eyeing those tacticool Maxpedition "manbags", specifically the Versipack Fatboy GTG. However, they are quite pricey which makes me want as much info as possible before committing.

Is anyone here sold on the concept of manbags as daypacks? Anyone bought one and later regretted it? Anyone love it, but grew weary of the constant "nice purse" comments :cool:

All feedback welcome.

6702.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hate daypacks. I always want my camera or my bins or whatever and you need to be a bloody contortionist with a day pack. I use an old game bag (satchel style) to put some scoff, a brew kit, camera, bins etc. in. Much more handy.

The fact that its blood stained prevents too many comments.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a MaxP versipack quite a bit in the drier months, but lately I find I have to carry a small backpack instead so I can carry waterproofs.

I like the versipack as I can get my small Kelly Kettle in along with a bag of kindling and firelighter kit, mug and water bottle, knife/saw and FAK, plus a book or two or even a pair of binos. Great wee bags.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I use the old Mk VII gas mask bag a lot.....

BAG.jpeg

Or a snugpak response pack, but that's more of a bumbag

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
My Chinese in laws gave me a very expensive Balley leather Italian man bag and I refuse to use it on the grounds of My personal view of how Unmasculine they look on the wrong person.

Another thing I have thought about is, my wallet, phone and keys are the only thing I usually carry, putting them all in the same holder runs the risk of looseing everything were it to get stolen or lost. I know women do this everyday in a handbag, I only need to carry essentials instead of leviathans filled with tat and lipstick.

Using a Maxpedition fatboy should not get you the unwanted comments as they look a bit more tech and manly, we should all be big enough to rise above stupid comments but I know how you feel.

Last edited:

Davedon

Apr 24, 2012
Selkirk
I used a versipack jumbo for ages as edc and loved it but I'm upgrading to a gearslinger so i can carry my laptop. Never had any comments about it being a man bag most people were amazed how much stuff i had in it.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Not for me thanks, had one for a while, packed it with all the stuff I thought I might need....then never took it out. Just couldn't bring myself to wear one (odd as I'll happily we're a kilt) and so far while out have never thought...mmmmm, wish I had a handbag ful of tat today :)

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I think that it can make a perfect substitute for a pack as long as you don't get too carried away with trying to stuff too much into it. Actually, it's a better alternative if you're going to have to access the bag a lot.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I find that if I exercise a little discipline and only take the things I actually need on my bimbles and hikes, I enjoy myself more. Accordingly, I started to wonder if my current daypack, a 30ltr Karimor, is massively too big for anything short of an overnighter. Yesterday I went out with slightly too much stuff for my pockets, but way too little to justify a backpack. I opted for overstuffed pockets.

I've been eyeing those tacticool Maxpedition "manbags", specifically the Versipack Fatboy GTG. However, they are quite pricey which makes me want as much info as possible before committing.

Is anyone here sold on the concept of manbags as daypacks? Anyone bought one and later regretted it? Anyone love it, but grew weary of the constant "nice purse" comments :cool:

All feedback welcome.

View attachment 16832

Go for it. I got one just like it, and it always stays packed and hanging on a peg in the hallway. Containing my solo cook kit and my small 0,7l ketle, tea, sugar, salt, pepper, map and compass, water bottle and my knife, it's always ready to go. So I can just grab it and head into the hills if I want to. It also has room for a poncho and a folding sitting plate.

It feels much better to carry than those small daypacks. And if I need to carry more I just grab a waist pack.

Here it is on my first trip with the solo brew kit.

[video=youtube;kgwPiV70uWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgwPiV70uWs[/video]

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak as a man bag.

It's main use is when I'm out with Scouts as I carry water, FAK, fire kit and sharps with room to spare.

I used to get some good natured banter over it, but now people accept it as a really useful bag.

Simon

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I always use a small canvas shoulder bag, don't even no it's there and plenty big enough, a great when I'm on the move and in and out my bag a lot rather than stoping to take my backpack off

resnikov

I like the look of the MaxP stuff but I prefer to have my bag on both shoulders to spread the weight, so I can never really have a man bag as mine is always a rucksack.

What are MaxP stuff like to carry for a long time? Does it make just the one shoulder ache? At least with a satchel style bag you can swop shoulders.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I use a simple canvas duffel bag like this.

There's ample capacity for my water bottle, stove & brewkit, poncho and room to spare. Carries well over one shoulder or both.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Here's mine

DSC_0163_zps4219db61.jpg

Its a copy of a Maxpedition I think? Anyway its just big enough to hold a Crusader System in the main pouch plus a few bits and bobs in the two smaller pouches. To be honest its too small to be practical.

I only really use it now to organise my stuff when I'm 'car camping'. Quite handy to have your camera, knife, mess kit etc in one place but then I guess I could do that with a dry bag or similar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE