Manbag - yes or no?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Manbags as daypacks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I've just upgraded to a canvas and leather French haversack from Endicott's. Previously I was using a Finnish army haversack.

i have one like that. it has a shoulder strap for slinging over your shoulder but by unclipping one end and threading it through some other metal rings it can be worn rucsac style :-think like an old school satchel. best of both worlds!

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Take an old pair of jeans/combats, sew accross the top of the legs below the bum and cut the legs off. You now have a bag with pockets and with ready made attachement points.

The leg material can be made into a flap to go over the top and, if you are using combats, use the side pocket sections for this so the flap can have pockets as well. The remaining leg material could be made into a strap if required.

Because it has lots of attachment points you could mount it in different ways. Shoulder bag or like a response pak.

If you have combats with zip off legs one of those zips will be long enought to make a zip for the main compartment as well, so that the contents have no chance of falling out.

Cost : sewing thread and time.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Gave up on a man bag and switched back to a day pack

got one of these on the way

should carry my map/compass set as well as my edc gear quite nicely

SNKBRG1.JPG

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Anyone for the almighty bumbag!?..

I have a suave leather number that holds my swag rather handsomely! :D

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Like the Idea from swallow to mod up a pair of trousers.

Man bag for me no, like others I prefer two shoulder straps to distribute weight. A while ago I went down the webbing route which I thought was good for taking out more stuff than would fit in pockets and still for it to be at hand. I like having bino's, camera, waterproofs, drink, snack to be accessable without stopping to rummage in a backpack.

Edit:
I've only just noticed this is a bit of an old thread - I tried to vote, only to find it's closed:)

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
I was a no but I recently picked up a Czech gas mask bag and I'm really glad I did. Room for a waterproof, fire kit, knife, saw, rope, a warm hat and a metal mug so perfect for a day out. Just the thing for bushcraft days at work when I can't be bothered with a rucksack.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Allthough I really oppose the term "manbag" I use a shoulderbag thse days, too.
First I had the Finnish gasmaskbag, which was a gift, but it did not perform the way I wanted it. So now I have this one;

f%C3%B6rbandsv%C3%A4ska4.jpg

The cowskin on the flap was added by me.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
That's a Swedish army m/39 medical bag, socalled förbandsväska.
I added the cowhide and the new leather straps on the front.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/Easternwolf/DSCF8606.jpg[/IMG]
i use a shoulderbag, too- both for afternoon walks and on long trips to carry small items which i might need during the day without taking off the big pack (and unpacking it)- belt pouches do'nt work for me on that as the backpacks hip belt gets in the way....

any infos how you modified the pack?! (canvas and leather are not very good in humid conditions...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE