Man of Tanith And Albus Cutler's skills resolution

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Evening All on this the last day of 2013.
Albus Cutler and myself were chatting about new year resolutions and agreed we both wanted to work on various bushy skills/techniques etc
We were debating what would be the best way to do this and have decided that we are going to dig out our copies of Mr Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook and literally try to work from cover to cover through the year.
We've decided to invite others to join us if they feel so inclined and participate in learning or revisiting skills obviously it starts in spring so a little time can be put aside to build up to it and if necessary purchase the book available here prior to starting up

any one else fancy it?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The Outdoor Survival Handbook was one of the first Bushcraft books I got and still probably my favourite. Sounds a like a good project and I'd like to give it a go.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
It would appear I'm in a thread posting ???

Who knew :eek: (default answer 'I blame Sam')

Guess I better stop talking about it and break out the book and see what's first?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I might have a go at a few things time allowing, haven't done much proper camping for a while, due to other commitments. But I do know of a few others who might join me on the quest... But I do have a couple of books I am re-editing and adding new information to work on as well over the coming months before sending them for re-publishing.

A while since I've looked in that one but think it was set out in seasons a bit or am I misremembering?

That is the beastie.
so nicely broken up and aimed at developing along the year so come winter you're all skilled up.

I'm sure a lot of us are confident doing it all yr round but as I've said revisiting skills or learning stuff that may of been skipped is always good.
Plus gives a bit of purpose to trips out rather than brew up eat sleep which is what I usually end up doing (not that I mind that either I hasten to add)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Not a bad Idea, I better get my self a copy :) and start :)....

Suffolk are now runing Skill Shares each month now taking one subject each month.. so that should help some skills as well :)

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Just dug out my copy! I like the idea of this and hope we can keep sharing. It's a good way of holding us to the resolution!
Russ

Is this book "Outdoor Survival Handbook" and "The Survival Handbook" both by Raymondo the same book?

Nope.
the outdoor survival handbook by Ray Mears is still in print. Its an illustrated book with a wide range of topics covered season by season.
The survival handbook by Raymond Mears is no longer in print and whilst a fantastic book is much wordier and less illustrated although it has plenty of great photos taken by the man himself

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
A really good idea and should make for some interesting posts along the lines of BCUSA Bushclass I might give it a go myself ;in fact why not ? count me in as well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE