Bushmoot 2018 photos.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Steam-Tent-Corner--Bushmoot-2018.jpg

A bit of a departure from my usual pictures of the moot as this year I decided to showcase the new direction that my outdoor life is going.

That is not to say I won't still be travelling lighter when the situation suits it, but as Viking re-enactment is becoming more difficult because of eyesight issues, I am now moving into a retro / old school / "steampunk" style of camping.

John-and-Jane-in-Steam-Tent-Corner.jpg

I was joined on this camp by John and Jane, fellow crafts people and they set up their wonderful, home made Yurt / Ger. Sitting and sharing skills with them and other crafts people was one of the most enjoyable aspects of this years moot for me.

John-and-Janes-Yurt.jpg

The Yurt made a fine addition to Steam Tent Corner as it has now been dubbed.

Dingly-Dell.jpg

We were down by Dingly Dell braving the midges that seemed to have eaten all the wasps this year.

Dingly-Dell-at-Night.jpg

I must also thank the Dingly Dell crew for their fine hospitality on more than one occasion.

Crafting-in-Steam-Tent-Corner.jpg

It is my custom to take a craft project with me to the moot, to fill those in between moments that sometimes occur.

Ditty-Bag-500.jpg

This year I constructed a Ditty Bag for tools and equipment needed on the go.

Ditty-Bag-Open-500.jpg

I particularly liked this design as it allows easy access to the lower part of the bag which is often difficult with duffel style bags.

Steam-Tent-Corner---Bushmoot-2018.jpg

Evenings were often spent just chatting around the fire or visiting other parts of the moot site.

FourCthulhus-500-.jpg

There was much interest in the group and the camps we organise but a common refrain was "We'd love to do something like that but couldn't transport all the gear."

Tool-Boxes-500.jpg

My response is that is precisely why I am taking so much, so that others do not have to. I have a van and most of what is needed already.

Pot-Hanger-500.jpg

Much of the equipment I had on display is for communal use, providing the beating heart of the Steam Tent Co-operative encampments.

Steam-Tent-Co-operative-at-Bushmoot-2018.jpg

For individual members the basic requirements are much simpler. Some vintage style clothing, a chair to sit in, a cup, plate or bowl and their own tent to sleep in.

At many events we also have a "plastic camp" slightly away from the "canvas camp" for modern tentage. Not all canvas tents need to be dressed out providing they are kept closed, so people are able to participate according to their ability or circumstance.

The group is set up as a Co-operative so that we all can work together to create an atmospheric environment to enjoy our time under canvas.

Mags-and-Phil-in-Steam-Tent-Corner.jpg

In addition to the night photography shoot we organised we also helped Mags and Phil celebrate their vows with an evening shot of the happy couple.

Steam-Tent-Corner.jpg

For me, spending two weeks in the company of like minded, creative people at the BushMoot is one of the highlights of my year.

Last edited:

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Looks amazing Gary, i would have a hard time guessing if your main activity was Viking or steampunk or photography, just seems you do everything ‘with gusto’
Brilliant work

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Those are a great set of photos Gary, they really catch the spirit of the Moot.

The pictures of Dingly Dell will be treasured by us for sure :)

It was a pleasure to have you spend time with us in Dingly Dell and I must say thank you for sharing your camp with us as well.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Great pics! Just wish I'd managed to visit... A pleasantly overwhelming experience for my first Moot, so stayed close to camp, but next year I'll be a little/lot more adventurous...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Steampunk does tend to hark, nostalgically, to an age that appears more dignified.

In reality I doubt if there is much truth in that but as a fantasy, it allows us to take the good and turn a blind eye to the less savoury aspects of the Victorian era.

Most cultures dream of a utopian future at some stage and Steampunk is based upon the sort of utopia that the Victorians might have imagined.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Great photos Gary, When I am at the Halloween meet I will hopefully be using my bodgers set up which is a lot simpler and smaller. So hopefully we can show people what a small set up requires :)

Gary certainly has a lot of the communal kit, and the fire set up certainly is great for us all to meet around and have a chin wag or two.

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
After the strange year we've had, lockdown and all that, I'm finally packed and ready for the 2021 BushMoot. (Early I know but I've got an eventful week ahead of me.)

Baker-Tent-I.jpg

We will be in a different spot this time, not sure where yet and I will be taking a smaller set up for flexibility.

I'm hoping we can recreate the informal "Craft Jam" that we had on the 2018 Moot. Not a workshop as such but just a casual gathering of people working on their own craft projects and sharing skills.

Do look out for us, I will be flying a Raven banner and Steve will have the Lone Star of Texas on show no doubt. We run a hospitable camp so come and join us.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE