Man eating super wolves on Dmax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Who has just watched this programme with real attacks on people in Russia and North America.
Interesting and shows they are not the cute animal some believe. Worth a watch if you missed it.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
were wolves ever cute?
Dogs are far more dangerous than wolves, dogs kill about 25,000 humans per year.

Last edited:

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Who has just watched this programme with real attacks on people in Russia and North America.
Interesting and shows they are not the cute animal some believe. Worth a watch if you missed it.
All I know is if we keep chipping away at the corners of an animal’s territory, these things are going to be on the increase as their lands are decreased,they have nowhere else to go.
The prey is ruthlessly killed by hunters & their food source starts to disappear..so what’s the next best thing?
Same old same old really.
Will we learn, doubt it very much.

Reactions: Lean'n'mean

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
We get loads of bears and coyotes here. They aren't a bother and kind of slope off as soon as they can or sort of act like they didn't see you. However, there's a stoical and sort of unshakeable friend of ours had a 100 acre smallholding north of us. He said that, although he heard them often, he only saw one once, a timber wolf. He said it was huge, violent-looking, moved really purposefully and was terrifying. He just ran.

Reactions: henchy3rd

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive heard old world wolves much different from the new.

they certainly seem so in old accounts.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Mmm ... 32 deaths from wolves (including rabies) in North America since 1760 - humans are far more dangerous :)

Sorry, I find these kinds of programmes like reading the Daily Mail - sensationalism - I could be wrong :)

I know what you mean but, still interesting facts this time at least

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Seems there was quite an outcry over that rubbish, and they dropped it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
All I know is if we keep chipping away at the corners of an animal’s territory, these things are going to be on the increase as their lands are decreased, they have nowhere else to go.
The prey is ruthlessly killed by hunters & their food source starts to disappear..so what’s the next best thing?
Same old same old really.
Will we learn, doubt it very much.

I don't think I agree with your point of view on this, if only because it sounds like it sweeps across time and continents and describes a single facet of a multifaceted subject. There are significant differences depending on where in the world you are, what predator / prey you are talking about, and whether it is present or past that you are looking at.
EDIT. I don't disagree that people do as you say far too often, and that it certainly causes problems. I disagree about singling it out as the main reason for animals turning to eating people.

As a different point of view, you might find this an interesting watch.

and 13:30 of this one.

In the US, predatory cougar attacks have increased from almost nothing. Sure, there are more people in cougar country, but there are also more cougars than there were for quite a long time, and there are Fish and Wildlife agencies that manage the number of deer, hunters do not shoot them all out, and cougars are likely to be less fearful of people because they are protected.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Ive heard old world wolves much different from the new.

they certainly seem so in old accounts.
Yeah, the tale of the pack that invaded Paris to eat its citizens in 1450. This confirms henchy's view.

Reactions: CLEM

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I don't think I agree with your point of view on this, if only because it sounds like it sweeps across time and continents and describes a single facet of a multifaceted subject. There are significant differences depending on where in the world you are, what predator / prey you are talking about, and whether it is present or past that you are looking at.

As a different point of view, you might find this an interesting watch.

and 13:30 of this one.

In the US, predatory cougar attacks have increased from almost nothing. Sure, there are more people in cougar country, but there are also more cougars than there were for quite a long time, and there are Fish and Wildlife agencies that manage the number of deer, hunters do not shoot them all out, and cougars are likely to be less fearful of people because they are protected.
There’s points on both sides of the debate, a happy balance would be nice.. but we are greedy for resources by nature?

Chernobyl is a case in point where humans dare not tread(except the few). It’s teaming with wildlife, flora & Forna.

There’s ocean zones where you are not allowed to fish at all.. it’s teaming with life & the overspill is rewarding the fisherman.

certain Tribes(the true bushcrafters) of the world are ridiculed & forced further out because they refuse to comply with the new world..or else.

the point I’m trying to make is..
Given a chance I’d rather live in the world, not on it..but that’s not going to happen. So that’s why I try to practice the art bushcraft.
CONFIDO AUTEM IN NATURA.

Reactions: C_Claycomb

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Can't and wouldn't disagree with anything you have said there Henchy3rd.

Just curious, having seen your posts about time in Africa, have you read anything by Peter Capstick? He was once a favourite of mine, and his remarks about bitey stompy wildlife were certainly in my mind when I got to make a brief visit to Namibia some years ago.

Slightly going off topic, from wolves to cats, I found this looking to see if memory was right that human reduction in game had caused the problems with the Njombe Lions. If people haven't read much Capstick or Corbet, its interesting.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Can't and wouldn't disagree with anything you have said there Henchy3rd.

Just curious, having seen your posts about time in Africa, have you read anything by Peter Capstick? He was once a favourite of mine, and his remarks about bitey stompy wildlife were certainly in my mind when I got to make a brief visit to Namibia some years ago.

Slightly going off topic, from wolves to cats, I found this looking to see if memory was right that human reduction in game had caused the problems with the Njombe Lions. If people haven't read much Capstick or Corbet, its interesting.
That article about big cats made an interesting read, thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE