Man Cave Refurbishment – pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Now that I have finally managed to retire (looong story…) I thought it was about time I sorted out my workshop so that I could make a start on all the projects on my list.

First up was for SWMBO and I to free up space by building a garden shed to store all the clutter (lawnmower, bikes, 15 year old half used paint tins…):

WSP5_zpse6c0b200.jpg

Once done, we could empty and repaint the workshop:

WSP1_zps66781563.jpg

HUGE when it’s empty! It’s an old 16’ x 8’ concrete section building that stands where the garage used to be when the house was built in the 1930s and cars were small enough to fit down the side of the house:

WSP6_zps49c373a8.jpg

First to go in was one of my retirement presents – a new Sjobergs bench:

WSP2_zps7a0d953e.jpg

Bought some cheap and cheerful kitchen cabinets for storage:

WSP3_zps0c8afe75.jpg

Doors and worktop added:

WSP4_zps56ca8931.jpg

Decided against the bits of surplus worktop I got off a kitchen fitter and got a beech top that would be better for the workshop. Gave it umpteen coats of Danish Oil to protect it.

Dismantled and reused an old workbench belonging to a mate’s late father to make a bench for the sander and sharpener (may have to look out for a small pillar drill now). Also managed to use the worktop so nothing’s wasted:

WSP8_zps694a7598.jpg

Installed and set up the bandsaw and extractor:

WSP7_zps3b11e721.jpg

Managed to fit a spare kitchen table into a corner for leatherwork and sewing:

WSP9_zps27dd8b84.jpg

All in all, I’m very pleased with the results:

WSP10_zps549bcd7e.jpg

WSP11_zpsf1548634.jpg

Still got a lot of stuff to do – fit more electrical sockets, sort out some toolboards, build a rack for sash cramps - and I’m sure it’ll be cluttered again in no time. Now, where's that list of jobs...:)

Oct 11, 2014
Kent
I'm not envious! It takes me longer to drag out and set up my tools than it does to do the job, then have to put it away.
That is excellent and well thought out.

Well done and thanks for showing.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Oh that looks like a little piece of heaven. We've only got a small shed - 6' x 4' - and its so full that stuff almost falls out when I open the door. I've promised myself that WHEN I win the Lottery I will buy a nice little detached house (so I don't have to listen to my neighbours son's drum kit) on half-an-acre (so I can grow veggies and fruit and maybe keep a few hens) and some outbuildings to use as a proper garden shed and a workshop (for all those 'inventions' I've sketched out over the years). I hope you have many serene hours working on your projects!

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Cracking man cave , wish I had something like that.
I do have a shed were I go to hide, but nothing as good as you have.

Now if I win th lotto tonight ??????

I'm sure that your work room will be.put to good use.
I look forward to seeing the photos of all the project's that you work on in there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's got a fault.......it needs another chair and a kettle so your friends can drop by and chill out and enjoy the company while you make stuff :)

Seriously, that's a cracker of a retirement playroom :approve:

I hope you have a very long, very busy and very contented retirement :D

atb,
M

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Superb looking workshop and congrats on retirement! Given that you could practically take over the world with a set-up like that,what projects have you got in mind?

Did some coppicing for the Woodland Trust last winter so I've got a load of hazel sticks to turn into walking poles. Got several orders for archery quivers. And my retirement present to myself was a guitar making course so I've got several nice bits of timber ready to go.

Not to mention the list of DIY jobs around the house that piled up when I was on my course...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE