Making Netting From Parachute Cord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Parachute cord has many uses. It is great to use in tying up ponchos and tarps for shelters, lashing gear, making splints and tourniquets, making traps, even for climbing if needs be. Another great use for paracord is in making netting. This is done by separating the inner strands from the outer shell, using the outer shell for the top line, and the inner strands for the mesh.

The first thing you’ll want to do is pull the inner strands out and lay them out in such a way as they do not get tangled.

Gill&

Separated.jpg

The take the outer shell and tie it between two small trees at about shoulder height. Then folding the strands in half and using a knot much like a cow hitch or girth hitch, but with a double wrap, you attach the strands to the top cord or main line an inch or so apart. How big you make your mesh is of course dependant upon what you intend to use it for I took pics of the stages of the knot.

Knot-1.jpg

Knot-2.jpg

Knot-3.jpg

Knot-4.jpg

Knot-5.jpg

When you get your strands attached to the top cord they should look like this.

Begining.jpg

Next, working from left to right, you grab the right side string in the first pair of strings and the left side string of the send pair of strings and tie a knot the way you would just tie a knot in a single piece of string.

***EDIT*** I just added in the below picture to better explain this knot.

IMG_1258.jpg

Then take the right side string from the second pair and tie it to the left side string of the third pair the same way and just repeat this process all the way across the series of strings until it looks like the picture below.

Firstcourse.jpg

and then start the next row the same way and it should look something like this.

SecondCourse.jpg

Then just keep repeating the same process over again working your way down and you will end up with something like this.

Netting.jpg

The netting can serve more than just one purpose. Of course it can be used to catch fish, the size of which will determine the size you need to make your mesh. It can be used to make an improvised “bag” or “pack” to carry things in. It can also be used with a frame made of limbs to fashion a box trap to catch birds or other game but you’ll need to be close by or rig up some sort of alert or they will chew their way out before you get to it. In this case the smaller the mesh the better.

boxtrap.jpg

boxtrap-2.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice tutorial MW and great pictures.

I've seen that style of netting done by Wayland, who has been working on his net at various meets for some little time, I wonder if he ever finished it :)

Thanks for taking the time to show that. Great work!

Thanks, I'm that glad you like it. It can come in handy.

I only ever do it in quiet moments at meets.

I guess there haven't been enough quiet moments to finish it off though. :D

Man, I know that feeling, it's like that here at home...three year olds can be a very noisy handfull lol

sapling

Sep 27, 2007
Glasgow
Nice one Mistwalker. I have made a couple of really useful string bags in a similar fashion, and its relatively quick too! Never thought of using paracord inners though. Its a good way of making resources go further as netting can be quite cordage intensive especially when using small gauge netting. Speaking of gauges, using one is really easy way of making consistant netting.

Love the Nietzsche quote BTW.

Cheers
Sapling

Nice one Mistwalker. I have made a couple of really useful string bags in a similar fashion, and its relatively quick too! Never thought of using paracord inners though. Its a good way of making resources go further as netting can be quite cordage intensive especially when using small gauge netting. Speaking of gauges, using one is really easy way of making consistant netting.

Love the Nietzsche quote BTW.

Cheers
Sapling

Thanks.

Yeah..is a little sloppy. We used to use gauges but I did this without one as I was at a lot as to how to explain a way of marking it in the bush...most don't carry pens and markers.

I love a lot of Nietzsche's quotes, this one just happens to have a personal significance to me.

sapling

Sep 27, 2007
Glasgow
Sorry buddy did not mean to criticise.
I am rather 'irrational' when it comes to uniformity in netting, spending more time than necessary to get the job done.
Any idea how strong a net made as above would be? Strong enough to support 2 adults as a seat?

Sorry buddy did not mean to criticise.
I am rather 'irrational' when it comes to uniformity in netting, spending more time than necessary to get the job done.
Any idea how strong a net made as above would be? Strong enough to support 2 adults as a seat?

Possibly...depending on the size of the adults and the knots used on the edges, but I doubt it.

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
Firstly, thanks a lot for the awesome tutorial :)

Now obviously the answer will depend on the mesh size but do you know how long a length of paracord would be required to make a general purpose fishing net? The figures will no doubt vary a LOT but a general minimum idea would be useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE