Making First Hobo and Billy Can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
Having been inspired by several stoves i've seen here (Wayland/Addo/SteveSteve/Lostagain) I decided to have a crack at making one myself :)

Small SS Tin from Morrisons for the Billy £2.99 (I Believe this is what Wayland uses for his stove)
Cuttlery Container/Drainer from TX Maxx for the stove £1.99
2 Packs of SS Skewers from Wilkos £1.20
1 Meter of Chrome Chain from B&Q £2.48
4 Brass Hooks £1.54 B&Q
30cm 3/32 Brass Rod £1 Local Model Shop

Total Cost so far £11.20

Tools Used (So Far)
Dremel (+ Drill Bits)
Leatherman Wave

Things I've come to realise...

Drilling Stainless Steel is a time consuming process in which I've snapped a 0.8mm Drill Bit and the rest (1.2mm-3.2mm) have varying degrees of heating and probably blunting! (most of them have some degree of Straw coloration at the tip, with the smaller ones also having some blue). But the Billy has now been drilled to accept a handle of some sort :) I plan to have the Chain for hanging it and the brass rod will be bent into a more solid handle for use on a stove. They can then be removed for packing the stove set away :D (I love modularity)

I'm about to make a start on the stove itself, which is pretty much just cutting the feed port out and bending some skewers for pot stands and risers for the stove.

Anyone got any tips to help me? I'll be posting Pics of the finished article when it's all done.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wacked a 3" screw in to the base with a hammer to pierce a hole for the drill bit to catch on, gets you through in no time I found. The base gets a few dents but they can soon be knocked back out again.

For cutting the feed holes out I used a cheapy Dremmel copy with a cutting disc on it. It still took a while but I got there in the end.

Rich

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
For drilling stainless steel its worth buying cobalt drills rather than high speed steel. They cost a bit more but cut harder materials much better and last longer without sharpening (provided you don't snap them:) )

Dave

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Look forward to seeing it. If your drilling the stove part, have a fire in it first. Drills a bit easyer then and as the others have said a centre punch, screw, or nail is a good way to start a hole.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i had a bash at a hobo as well, purely for use with natural fuel like wood/pine cones etc:, being a lover of simplicity i couldn't help thinking some of the modifications i've seen on these stoves seems unneccessary work, i got one of those ''Ikea'' drainers and as it was already full of holes couldn't see any reason to cut a hole in the side to feed fuel/wood as it is easy enough to slide cooking pot over for a second and feed wood down through the top, cutting a side hole just seemed unneccessary, for supporting cooking pot i just got an old bicycle wheel spoke and bent it into a V shape and placed it over the top, couldn't see any point in drilling holes for skewers when it's easier to place a support over the top and my support is short in length so i put it in stove or pot when packing away, my stove works great, no drilling or cutting whatsoever, i have to confess i made it out of curiosity as to it's merits however i have found due to the restricted flame and funnelling effect it brings water to the boil very quick with only a small amount of fuel.
16001-1.jpg

16003.jpg

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Joonsy,
The hole in the side of mine is just to have somewhere to feed it without taking the pot off.

You are right about the lots-of-heat-from-little-fuel efficiency. My small billy fits just inside the top with a narrow gap all the way round. All the heat hits the bottom then up the sides.

When I started using these I was considering buying a folding firebox when I spotted the drainer in Woolies. I bought one as an experiment and have used it ever since.

Cheers,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE