Bow drill trouble

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Hi guys, I have been practicing outdoor firelighting now for the past 2 years (and bushcraft thanks to this forum). I have went through all the motions (buying to much basically!). I am now down to a basic kit I use consistently;

billy can with hobo stove
Swiss ranger stove (doubles for water bottle/brew kit)
Gransfors bruks wilderness hatchet
Heavily modified BK2 and a fantastic leather sheath from Rem at leatherworld
My TBS boar folder (possibly best edc pocket knife ever)
3x3 DD tarp
Flint and tinder kit of my own making (no pouch yet though:-()
And ofc a Fero rod on my knife sheath for backup
I also have moved from using paracord to Jute twine (only using paracord for ridge lines)

Now I am at a stage where I would like to be able to create a fire
Without having any tools other than my pocket knife and some cordage. I have been practicing making nature cord. But let's be honest if needed I could use boot laces. So assume I have cordage.

I live in Scotland and have been having trouble with bow drills. I manage to get smoke pluming out of my hearth board but never any embers! I managed to get all the component parts made and have the method kind of sorted out (only occational slipping and swearing).

Is there any particular wood I should be using for the drill / hearth? I live near a decent size woodland and have numerous types to test with.

Also, out of the various friction based fire methods, is a bow drill the most effective? For my climate.

Thanks guys and girls

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I use a hazel drill bit, pine board and paff embers! Just remember, lots of pressure to start until it's smoking, then speed and lighter pressure. Until thick pluming smoke :) as in anything, practise makes perfecto!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE