Making a powder horn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Another small installment on the horn. I have now received the spout and installed it on the horn. Overall the length is 12 3/4" along the outside curve. There is a little work left on the neck, then it's wet sanding/scrapping/sanding!

DSCF4940.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
errr...now you're asking, Red! It says nothing on the package or the invoice. I just measured the spout, 5.5mm inside, 7.5 mm outside at the tip. Does that help? Hang on...on the spout in tiny letters it says: 24, then what could be gr, not sure though, it's really tiny.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aahh the Krank catalogue lists it as

1233D Powder Horn Top Spare brass powder horn plug which
is suitable for large and flat horns.
The top is supplied with interchange-
able spouts

Bet it didn't come with interchangeable spouts at that price!

Whatever it is - it looks great!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats cool...given spout size dictates charge level...new ones can be added for different weights :)

In fact - just found them

1247 Interchangeable Powder Flask Spouts Suitable for Italian flasks as specified in flask descriptions. Available in 10, 15, 18, 21, 24, 30, 36, 42, 45, 48, 54, 58, 60, 66, 72, 84, 100 and 120 grain throw. Please specify
requirement.£3.50

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
The powder horn I have been working on the past few days is finished. At least, it's gone as far as I think it needs to go. When is something "finished"? I could fuss over it and do some more work but I think it would be over-doing it.

So here it is.
DSCF4947.jpg

DSCF4948.jpg

DSCF4949.jpg

I have found the Mahogany I used for the butt plug to be very porous, so I warmed up the wood, using a heat gun, and melted some beeswax onto the plug. With the heat, it was readily absorbed into the wood, in the same way leather soaks up beeswax, plugging up the pores. I have carved a simple design engrailment at the start of the neck, and continued the 6 sided design on the other side of the neck rings, and deepened the groove between the rings to accomodate the leather strap.

The strap itself is a 4 strands plait. To attach the plug, I secured it to the horn with a small amount of wood glue, followed by 4 wooden pins.

All in all, I am very happy with the result of my first attempt, and, of course, I am now planning the next one...

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats cool...given spout size dictates charge level...new ones can be added for different weights :)

In fact - just found them

I've found that 30 grain is the most versatile spout size. My .44 cap 7 ball revolver loves a 30 grain charge while rifles and muskets generally take some multiple thereof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE