Making a powder horn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I know, I know, not a every day Bushcraft item these days, regrettably, but nevertheless a very traditional craft, working with wood, leather, horn, metal.

So, here are a few pictures of what I have done so far. I have rounded the end of the horn and flattened it. To achieve a nice round end, I made a soft wood, cone plug to round the horn with, and the careful use of a heat gun; I say careful because I didn't want to burn the horn itself. As it is, the plug got a bit singed!

DSCF4864.jpg

It is a fairly small horn I am using, so, to give the horn a bit more storage space for the powder, I am decided to make a hollowed domed "butt plug", which will add a couple of inches in length to the horn. Overall it's going to be about 12" long.

I am keeping the horn on the cone until I have cleaned it up and fitted the butt plug, as I am not sure if the horn would revert to its original shape unsupported.

I finished the domed plug on the lather this afternoon. Here are some pictures of it.

DSCF4865.jpg

DSCF4867.jpg

DSCF4866.jpg

Next step will be cutting the end off, drilling the pouring hole and scrapping the horn clean and reasonably smooth.

Last edited:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
To really finish it off have a look at item '1233D Powder Horn Top' on page 84 of:

Henry Krank

Then it will be usable as a powder horn.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Bring down the catalogue pages inside the web page (there are two sliders visible, one on the far right of the web page and one about an inch to the left of that)

Or Google "1233D Powder Horn Top"

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Bring down the catalogue pages inside the web page (there are two sliders visible, one on the far right of the web page and one about an inch to the left of that)

Or Google "1233D Powder Horn Top"

Ahhh... Thanks IanM. This is a treaasure trove of good stuff! I'll go hang around there a while!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Very cool! do you fire black powder guns mate? have you got materials for the spout and the extra bits?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I've done a bit more work on the powder horn today, namely, rasping, filing, sanding, the horn. The surface was quite rough and irregular, with a lot of scratches etc.

I made this small bench with the central post, it makes it easier to hold and file the horn.
DSCF4868.jpg

DSCF4869.jpg

And much easier to wet sand it too!

DSCF4870.jpg

DSCF4871.jpg

The colour has changed too. The pattern has come out beautifully.
DSCF4873.jpg

DSCF4872.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I have done a bit more work today. The end's cut off, the hole is drilled and I couldn't resist doing a bit of decoration... It's not finished yet, more scrapping and fine sanding needed.

DSCF4875.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE