Making a packframe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Trying a modular system for my Uni bag.

But I would like a frame for it...Plastic or ali?

And how do I match it to my back? If Im making my own frame, I could size it so it suits my back.

Any suggestions?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I will venture into the same project as you this winter, and I think the easiest is plywood.
Alu tubes are a pig to bend, and I am unsure how to bend plastic (water) pipes without collapsing or weaking them, and if they are strong enough if glued together.

My plan is to cut two strips of nice marine ply into a nice back formed shape, about 2 inches wide, then glue and screw thinner, more bendable ply against the edge that will rest against the body.
Two, one left and one right, then connect those with three similar t-strips, one in tip, then middle and one on bottom.

I do not know if the idea is stupid/crazy/unworkable though.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Depending on how much weight you plan on carrying but...Baby carrier back pack about £15 from Ebay will give you a frame. Butcher it..(the frame not the baby) and adapt it perhaps?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Take a look at the construction of a Trapper Nelson pack frame.
Very traditional wood and canvas composition.
This, snowshoe frames, toboggan parts and birch bark canows are the wooden items
for which the classic Mocotaugan knive was meant to make.

Reactions: Ettrick reiver

bearbait

Maybe take a search on Google and youtube for the Roycraft / Roycroft pack frame? He was a colleague of Mors Kochanski I believe. I've not yet made one (it's on the list!) but the idea interests me. You could probably use PVC pipe fittings if you wanted a plastic version.

Let us know what you decide...

Reactions: Janne
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Alloy rod frame would be good get a bit of heat on it and bend it around wood or steel formers its not that hard, I have a pack with that kind of frame it truly is simple!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I will nick two pieces of plastic PVC water pipes from my neighbour tonight. Will fill one with spray insulation, and compare for stiffness and power to bend/break.
Will report my unscientific results!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yup, me too. (Even though he is not my period.)

Somewhere in my records there is a photo of me wearing a replica of his straw cloak.

(A tengu in a coat of invisibility,if you like. Which is a bit of a joke as it rustles so much; being invisible wont help)

I have been sorting through my bits and pieces and found a whole load of stuff for the bags. A laptop sleeve, a big loose bag and some pouches. I am thinking on getting some bigger MOLLE pouches for side pockets. (Bergen or Berghaus side pouches a bit too big)

Its going to be a very singular bag. But hopefully it will do what I want it to.

I have made a couple now. These might not be what you are looking for but could spur on some ideas.
Mk I, Mk II, and some other ideas from last fall:
https://paleotool.com/2018/10/19/wooden-packframe/

dsc_0254-1.jpg

Reactions: Ettrick reiver

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE