makin tops for spinning (not spinning tops)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
so.

i need to wash, card and spin a large amount of wool to make a cloak using viking-age technology (i'm not in any hurry, i'm just interested)

is there an ancient-tech way of making tops (such as that which you order from wingham or such spinning-wool suppliers) or do i have to spin directly from little handfuls of carded wool?

now i think of it - distaff - i understand wool is wrapped around it and pulled off for spinning, keeping it easy to handle. does one wrap a length of carded tops onto that? if so, does it have to be kept untwisted or can you fling it on any old way?

thanks in advance if you can illuminate me and advance my learning and that

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You need a set of wool combs.
Think teeth made from six inch nails and you won't be far wrong, Viscious things they are.
Tops are just a continuous sliver pulled off the huge commercial drum carders.
You can make a kind of roving using the fleece from the combs by laying each handful like bricks, each one covering the end / start of a previous pair. Best laid on a clean cloth. Then roll very gently and pull with a gentle twist, and you can create a continuous sliver of ready to spin, felt or dye, wool.

Don't know if this helps :dunno:
I'm away to bed, I'll read again in the morning and see if it makes sense :D

Bound to be someone else on the forum who knows how to make what you're after.

atb,
M

could i not just drive some big-bottom nails through a couple a fat piece of palletwood?

or would i be better off getting some fencing wire, straightening it out, sharpening the ends and binding it together like i was making a reed or something?

is the length of the spikes important? i guess the thing needs to be strong as anything cos it take a bit of punishment. does one rake the comb against the fleece, or rake the fleece against the comb?

is this the same thing as a hackle, or is that something different?

i got a bit of plywood with 5 nails sticking out of either end with a little loom i bought last year, i'm guessing that's what it's used for. but on a pretty small scale. i want to card about 2 kilos for the project i'm planning.

if i want to do any more i'll borrow a drum carder or something

-andrew

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Cobweb, I didn't know :sigh:

I'm sure if we posted plans someone would make a set for you though.

Six inch nails are the usual teeth these days for the homemade combs.
They are like a hackle in a way but usually one is mounted on a stand, either floor for historical authenticity, or able to be clamped to a table, for modern.
Like these

http://www.bountifulspinweave.com/images/indigo_hound_english_combs_from_bountiful_color.jpg

and this lady's blog shows how to make your own :D

http://blog.loxosceles.org/posts/1147125661.shtml

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE