Tag along Projects for 2022

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just wondering if people would be interested in making 2022 a bit more interesting in terms of Hand On learning skills by having each month a Group tag along where we all try to get a project finished to learning and producing different things - Just publish your end result or learning process on the forum for fun.

Its all about sharing and learning a new skill and spending less time online or sat in front of the Telly.
There are many things and skills I know I WANT to learn but without structure or planning they seem elusive to nail down.

So it be something like a pre agreed format of subjects to cover over the 2022 Months - The idea is you give yourself that month to get the prerequisite items , time and space to deliver a related project.

As ideas:-

JANUARY - Soap Making
FEBRUARY - Cheese Making
MARCH - Home made Bacon
APRIL - Home Brewing
MAY -Smoking Meats & Cheeses

etc etc

Who would be interested in such a thing and what subjects would you like to cover? I think the benefit is from a bit of social peer group support and provision of Tutorials in advance.

Some months maybe better placed to do certain activities in than others.

Thoughts? Interests?

Its more about knowing oneself and committing yourself ( in a super casual way ) to show interest and tag along.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I like it :) I've dipped my hand in most of these. Especially home brewing beer, but it's quite the set up if you want to do full grain. Maybe a kit we can all get our hands on would be a good idea?

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like it :) I've dipped my hand in most of these. Especially home brewing beer, but it's quite the set up if you want to do full grain. Maybe a kit we can all get our hands on would be a good idea?

I think the idea for all of it should be as low cost entry as possible.
I'm definitely dropping lots of money on any of these.

I think it would be a kinda fun thing for those people with friends to have them come around and get involved - kind of get others interested at your Soap making party. :)

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I love the idea, but from a practical point of view (British Red might know better) but I don't make soap in Winter. It's a back door and kitchen window wide open activity for me.

So, very much a yes on the idea, and suggestions, but maybe think seasonally too ?

I'd like to do more with beeswax.
I used to make lipsyls, handcreams, furniture polish, resin mixes for jackets, packs, etc., but haven't done so in a while.
Might be a fun thing for folks to play around with too.

Another would be using stone. Not just the flint knapping, but making the weight for the pump drill, that kind of thing. Dan used to collect the most marvellous whetstone materials and made little ones for folks too.

Just ideas :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I love the idea, but from a practical point of view (British Red might know better) but I don't make soap in Winter. It's a back door and kitchen window wide open activity for me.

So, very much a yes on the idea, and suggestions, but maybe think seasonally too ?

I'd like to do more with beeswax.
I used to make lipsyls, handcreams, furniture polish, resin mixes for jackets, packs, etc., but haven't done so in a while.
Might be a fun thing for folks to play around with too.

Another would be using stone. Not just the flint knapping, but making the weight for the pump drill, that kind of thing. Dan used to collect the most marvellous whetstone materials and made little ones for folks too.

Just ideas :)

Thoughts? Interests?

Its more about knowing oneself and committing yourself ( in a super casual way ) to show interest and tag along.

I concur and am lead by your guidance Toddy.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just wondering if people would be interested in making 2022 a bit more interesting in terms of Hand On learning skills by having each month a Group tag along where we all try to get a project finished to learning and producing different things - Just publish your end result or learning process on the forum for fun.

Its all about sharing and learning a new skill and spending less time online or sat in front of the Telly.
There are many things and skills I know I WANT to learn but without structure or planning they seem elusive to nail down.

So it be something like a pre agreed format of subjects to cover over the 2022 Months - The idea is you give yourself that month to get the prerequisite items , time and space to deliver a related project.

As ideas:-

JANUARY - Soap Making
FEBRUARY - Cheese Making
MARCH - Home made Bacon
APRIL - Home Brewing
MAY -Smoking Meats & Cheeses

etc etc

Who would be interested in such a thing and what subjects would you like to cover? I think the benefit is from a bit of social peer group support and provision of Tutorials in advance.

Thoughts? Interests?

I don't have a video tutorial for cheese making...can help with the others if that helps?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I don't have a video tutorial for cheese making...can help with the others if that helps?
Thanks Red!!

I didn't want to press upon you ( Know you are a busy bunny ) but very glad and hoped you would chirp in!!

Anything you can do or suggest is appreciated.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most of what you suggest is great. Happy to hook you into a great supplier of free range, rare breed pork for bacon making.

What about something bushcrafty like...Dubbin making?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Most of what you suggest is great. Happy to hook you into a great supplier of free range, rare breed pork for bacon making.

What about something bushcrafty like...Dubbin making?

I'll say a resounding Yes to both suggestions.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For some projects, if you got a reasonable number of people, it would make sense to buy one pack of ingredients and split it. For example salt petre for bacon cure, neetsfoot oil etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Robson Valley said he'd been doing cheesemaking. He might chip in on this :)

I make crowdie.....think cottage cheese, but pressed a bit and left to firm up.....but again, to me that's mostly a seasonal thing. I did dig up some of the lady's bedstraw roots to use as the rennet/colour though :) and I've made it with nettles as the rennet too.

I also did the 'American' preppers one using dried milk and vinegar to curdle. Surprisingly good for what it was, and very quick too.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For some projects, if you got a reasonable number of people, it would make sense to buy one pack of ingredients and split it. For example salt petre for bacon cure, neetsfoot oil etc.

Hmmm. Agree, but surely tricky enough to organise over a forum?
Don't get me wrong - I like the idea , bulk items split into smaller weighed amounts and posted in preparation for a project.

Just a massive pita to orchestrate I think ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I also did the 'American' preppers one using dried milk and vinegar to curdle. Surprisingly good for what it was, and very quick too.
Can you explain that one either here or elsewhere please Toddy? Sounds interesting.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm. Agree, but surely tricky enough to organise over a forum?
Don't get me wrong - I like the idea , bulk items split into smaller weighed amounts and posted in preparation for a project.

Just a massive pita to orchestrate I think ?
Could be indeed. Maybe get someone who has stock to supply small quantities for a fair mark up. Saltpetre for example. You need 8g to make a kilo of bacon cure but it's sold in bulk (hence the absurd markup on prepared cures).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Talking of which.....there's a fellow a few miles away from me who sells all the stuff for making sausages and burger. Tongmaster... I can find a link if it's of any help.
My only caveat is that the vegetarian mix is a bit bland, and I didn't re-buy, but a friend (the one who made the venison lorne sausages) liked his meat mixes.
His bacon cure mix isn't expensive.

@TeeDee
I might be better directing you to one of the youtube videos on it.
It's really easy though. If you find queso blanco, for instance, that's a good basis for the process. It's easily flavoured, and enriched. You can give it an almost caboc like taste by adding some melted butter to the really squeezed out curds, and then rolling it in some pepper and oatmeal :)

From dried milk...here's a really simple description. It makes a kind of paneer cheese. Again easily flavoured, added to, etc.,

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Talking of which.....there's a fellow a few miles away from me who sells all the stuff for making sausages and burger. Tongmaster... I can find a link if it's of any help.
My only caveat is that the vegetarian mix is a bit bland, and I didn't re-buy, but a friend (the one who made the venison lorne sausages) liked his meat mixes.
His bacon cure mix isn't expensive.

@TeeDee
I might be better directing you to one of the youtube videos on it.
It's really easy though. If you find queso blanco, for instance, that's a good basis for the process. It's easily flavoured, and enriched. You can give it an almost caboc like taste by adding some melted butter to the really squeezed out curds, and then rolling it in some pepper and oatmeal :)

From dried milk...here's a really simple description. It makes a kind of paneer cheese. Again easily flavoured, added to, etc.,

You know... You get me really excited when you mention Food and posh sounding words I don't recognise in the same sentence don't you.. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh ?

Venison works out pretty cheap, if you have friends who do the beating.
Seventy quid for a whole carcase last time. My friend used the shoulder meat for the lorne sausages. The rest was turned into chops, steaks, roasts and mince.

I'm a good vegetarian, but I'd rather my husband ate decent meat that I knew what it actually 'was', iimmc.

He gets duck, goose, pigeon, etc., too.
It's amazing how well the barter network provides :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The cheese making was an organized weekend course with lots of advance notice for people to buy seats. I bought one for myself and a second seat for anyone too poor to buy into this. It was a big deal. Financial grant support and all.

I think it's got to be centralized for the equipment needed and the visual necessity to learn the techniques and timing.

We had a wonderful time with lots and lots of nibbly food all day long. The presenters were sheep farmers who had run a commercial cheese business. They got tired of the government interference.

I'll finish by saying that I believe there is a fair amount of "underground" cheese making happening ever since, here in the valley. Stone-wall silence if you ever ask about it. That's as it needs to be.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Great idea! :)

I've successfully made mozzarella - but to be honest it's only worked about 1 time out of 3 - the other times it just turned into curd cheese (still edible mind).

If you wanted to keep it more 'bushcrafty' it could be: nettle beer; cheese using natural rennet (like nettle); wild game pie (squirrel, rabbit, pheasant); fruit syrup... Then there's non-foody stuff like just making a hazel walking stick (I don't know how much it would cost to ship a stick, but I have plenty of hazel if people can't find their own); a stick bow (see earlier thread); making 6ft of natural cordage (again, nettle would work); carving a wood spirit or totem; making a lithic arrow head - doesn't have to be flint, could be a softer stone like slate or even bone or antler; making a tool out of bone or antler such as a needle, a shawl clasp, or a kilt pin .... the list is endless :) - just needs someone to set the task and then people can find their own resources to create the result :)

Over to you TeeDee :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Great idea! :)

I've successfully made mozzarella - but to be honest it's only worked about 1 time out of 3 - the other times it just turned into curd cheese (still edible mind).

If you wanted to keep it more 'bushcrafty' it could be: nettle beer; cheese using natural rennet (like nettle); wild game pie (squirrel, rabbit, pheasant); fruit syrup... Then there's non-foody stuff like just making a hazel walking stick (I don't know how much it would cost to ship a stick, but I have plenty of hazel if people can't find their own); a stick bow (see earlier thread); making 6ft of natural cordage (again, nettle would work); carving a wood spirit or totem; making a lithic arrow head - doesn't have to be flint, could be a softer stone like slate or even bone or antler; making a tool out of bone or antler such as a needle, a shawl clasp, or a kilt pin .... the list is endless :) - just needs someone to set the task and then people can find their own resources to create the result :)

Over to you TeeDee :)

I'm thinking more homesteady/self-reliance if I'm honest.
( Not stopping anyone else from doing something else however - BCUSA used to have a nice bushcraft skills progression program of sorts to follow. )

I think there probably isn't going to be as much interest in it as I assumed there maybe would from lack of responses. Thats not a forum based comment that sounds like a pity party - Just that if its not generating interest for many people its not going to be that well received to be taken up and maintained for a year.

And that is fine. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE