Tag along Projects for 2022

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looking ahead somewhat.
February is down for cheesemaking.

I know this stuff as Easter Cheese. It needs no rennet, just eggs, milk, salt, but is the better for adding yoghurt or cream and it was traditional to make it golden with some of the saffron stamens or dried petals from Scotch Marigolds soaked in a little of the hot milk first.

Basically it's the first cheese made once the cows are in milk and the hens start laying again.....nowadays we have the beasts in milk and laying eggs all year round, so this is probably an old one.

I went looking for a clear recipe, not just the muddle of my mind :rolleyes2: and I found a video on youtube.

It's an off-site link.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just wondering how everyone - even if its just one or two - are doing with their projects?

Nailing it??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Haven't had a go at the soap making. I visited the Scottish Fine Soaps factory shop last year and find myself still with rather a surplus.

Cheesemaking though, I've made crowdie and Easter cheese too. It's just kind of like making dinner for me. Hadn't thought to take photos :blush: Sorry @TeeDee

Reactions: TeeDee

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You had me at 'Sulphur'....

Please go on Sir - educate.
A sulphur candle is an old technology "fogger". Burn sulphur in an enclosed space and it creates sulphur dioxide. In contact with plants, insects or spores it basically kills them all. So burning a sulphur candle in a greenhouse will kill algae between the glass panes, destroy mould spores, blight etc.

It's also horribly toxic so be sensible.

You can buy sulphur candles in most garden centres or make them for a fraction of the price (think Harry Dodson)

I made these today for less than a quarter of buying a commercial equivalent.Sulphur candle by English Countrylife, on Flickr

If you want to know the full process

Old technology but very effective

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I must mind that one.....can't do it just now because I have two bucket loads of tadpoles in residence in the greenhouse just now though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE