Magnesium block

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I bought one of those fire starters that is attached to a magnesium block.
You're supposed to shave some of the magnesium off and use it as tinder.
Try as I might, I can't get it to go. If I use a bit of birchbark as tinder it lights first time.
Anybody else think that the magnesium is rubbish?

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
It does work but takes a lot of effort, i got a mate to turn mine down on a lathe and use the swarf, still have to use quite a bit and rub it together to get below the oxidised layer but when it does light it is really hot and forms a good ember. but it does seem easier to use more traditional tinder. IMO

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I have to agree with the above,To try and get enough off the block to start a fire is hard work,I have drilled through 2 or 3 over the years and have the swarf in a bag ready for when I want to use it,I know it sort of defeats the object of having the Magnesium block in the first place,but it works for me.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
same here - i got one as my first n00by firesteel, dunno if it was just a cheapo rubbish one I got but mine has been very much relegated and replaced with a magfire.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Same for me, my first firesteel was the magnesium block as it was all that was available. I used to shave a small amount of magnesium onto whatever tinder i was using, ie scrape some onto a crampball before striking at it. It crackles and glows briefly, but after awhile i pulled the firesteel from the block and used it on its own.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
About the only way I have found the magnesium to be much good is with a good sized pile. I have used the file on my leatherman to scrape of about a dime sized pile of shavings (onto a piece of paper so they can then be consolidated). This can catch with a good blast of sparks and burns hot...briefly but hot.

For the most part I think the magnesium block is too much trouble to be worth the carry. I have also had the spark rod fall off the magnesium block...leaving a useless lump of metal.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Mine ended up in two pieces as well. I honestly thought that the block was just there for you to hold as you struck the bar: there was no way I could get any of the stuff of without killing a knife!!!
Needless to say, it has been relegated.

If there is ever a world shortage of magnesium, all us bushcrafters will become KINGS !!!

Stu.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
The only thing the magnesium block fire starter is good for is assessing the credibility of bushcraft/outdoor equipment vendors. If they rave about "military spec, hotter than the sun, lights thousands of fires with damp wood under water" then you know they're probably writing rubbish about their outher stuff.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
The one I have at the moment is the one issued to US forces I've not used it a great deal but when I have used it it works a treat but you have to shave quiet a bit of the block I use a hacksaw blade to shave it, don't for gods sake use the blade of your knife like I seen someone do on utube

HawkesNest

Sep 18, 2008
Brigham City Utah USA
www.box.net
Forget the magnesium block, just take a cotton ball and pull it into two halves. Then just strike a shower of sparks with the striker into the very fluffy part of the cotton ball that you just pulled apart, you get an instant flame. Another part of the tip is to hold the scraper with the cotton ball laying on top of it (stationary hand) in one hand while the striker is held in the other hand (this is the part put into motion) and drawn down across the scraper. With the fuzzy cotton ball laying on the scraper directly where the hot sparks are generated, it will catch fire instantly. The reason for keeping the scraper and cotton ball stationary is so that the initial flame is not blown out. You can also put a little vaseline in the cotton ball and it will burn much longer.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
The only thing the magnesium block fire starter is good for is assessing the credibility of bushcraft/outdoor equipment vendors. If they rave about "military spec, hotter than the sun, lights thousands of fires with damp wood under water" then you know they're probably writing rubbish about their outher stuff.

That is a great way of evaluatiing a vendor....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Yep, hyperbole is all they'll be selling :rolleyes: :D

I find the magnesium ribbon a better bet but it's still a lot of faffing around.
What it is good for though is if you actually have a coal going, tinder lit, but a lot of very wet kindling, the magnesium can be lit from the tinder and will flare hot enough to grab onto and fire up that wet kindling. Failing that just use it up lighting the coal fire ;)

cheers,
Toddy

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I’ve never really had much luck starting a fire with a steel; I’ve found bow drills to be easier and more reliable. A few years ago, in a sort of desperation, I fell for the hype and bought one of the steel/magnesium block types. From the above it turns out I wasn’t using enough of the magnesium, which I placed on top of conventional tinder; the tinder always caught before the magnesium powder (just how do you aim a spark from a steel at a small area?). Having read the above posts I tried it again and having made a quite a large pile of magnesium powder it worked a treat, thanks for the info Andyre and others. But it took time and was a lot of effort. :(

Thing is, I really wanted a reliable method of fire starting if I’m out and about and things go pear shaped. Whatever I carry for this purpose needs to work reliably even in the wind and rain. The main reason I was attracted to the magnesium block solution was that the advertisement stated it would work in damp conditions. Having seen what you’ve got to do to get it to work its not going to be a lot of good if there’s a bit of a draft as well as rain, hence I’ve decided to leave it out of my pack in future. At some point I’ll practice how to use a standard fire steel to back up lighter and matches.

Thanks to Bushwhacker for raising the subject and again for the info, kit’s a bit lighter for the moment. :D

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The magnesium isn't the tinder the idea is as Toddy says, first ignite the tinder with the ferro rod and that in turn will ignite the magnesium (plenty of shavings needed) thus providing a much hotter burn to catch the kindling material such as feather sticks or whatever you are using.

I found this tutorial on how to use a magnesium block fire starter:

http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/node/10

Nice web page article ;) hahaha

I prefer to use a ferro rod. I enjoy doing the bow and drill and other methods. Ferrocerium rods are inexpensive, lightweight and simple to use. I am able to add a ferro rod to my small kit. Fire is crucial so I include several items to start a fire in my pack.

I learned a few tricks that help with the block. Holding the knife stationary as I pull the block. The shavings fall under the knife and then I turn the block over to get the spark. Allowing the shavings to fall on a small piece of duct tape or a leaf. The more I worked with it, the easier I could start a fire. I still carry tinder for an emergency such as the cotton balls etc mentioned above. I use the back of my knife to make the shavings so I do not add wear to the blade.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
The good news about magnesium is that it can't ever get wet.

The bad news is that it's a lot of work.

I punch in the crown of my hat and collect the filings in it. They'll blow away in the slightest breeze otherwise. I use an old "Sawz-all" blade, which is like a very heavy-duty hacksaw blade.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
On the few occasions when I've bothered to use this thing I've also found that the file on my leatherman is the best option for creating a pile of shavings.

I might reduce the whole thing to a pile of shavings just to see what happens when I drop a spark on it. :D

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE