Magali Roques...Laguiole knife maker.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
Some time ago I posted a photo onto my wall at Face Book.
It was a picture of one of my Snow goose spoons.
My French friend Magali saw the photo and wrote a comment saying how much she loved it.
I thought it would be nice if I sent one over too her.
Well, this I did.
She received the spoon a short time after I posted it, good old Royal mail and La Post.
Sometime later....... I received a parcel from Magali.....
I thought perhaps some of you guys may like to have a look at what she sent.

`Magali's+gift+018.jpg

`Magali's+gift+011.jpg

`Magali's+gift+009.jpg

These knives are hand made by Magali and her husband Didier.
Here is a piece from her web site where you'll find some stunning work...

Ten years ago I began creating luxury Laguiole knives. Of late my
husband Didier Roques has joined me in this fantastic venture. He is a
great addition, having a background in precision engineering and
pattern work. I have also had the privilege to work with Cathy
Capelle, an important name in french cutlery. We work with pure
respect for tradition and quality materials.

All our work is handwork, guilloche, infiles, hand crafted hilts in
precious ebony, boxwood root, silver and soon dinosaur gem-bone. I am
a sculptor and working in the lost wax technique,create small parts in
precious metals, that are worked into the body of our Laguiole knives.
Heads of boar and deer, dragonflies, bees and flowers, things of
nature and the wood.

Swing past my blog for her contact details.
I'll certainly be using this knife daily at my kitchen table...
J.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Lovely knife that! I do like Laguiole. Most are cheap tat but that's a stunner! Great swap in my mind, I'm sure both sides are more than happy...

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
Lovely knife that! I do like Laguiole. Most are cheap tat but that's a stunner! Great swap in my mind, I'm sure both sides are more than happy...
Both over the moon. I've eaten with a Laguiole knife for years now. But I must say that of all the Laguoile knives I have seen in my travels, Magali makes what I believe to be the most stunning...J

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've ate with them for nearly 10 years now. I'll have to check the site out and hope I can afford one of Magali's!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Hope my wife doesn't see this thread. Her EDC is a GB legal non-lock Laguiole that I got her in our place in France to replace her locking Opinel, which I got her to replace her Old Hickory sheath knife that I got her in the US - she's so law-abiding. I'll tell her that the beautiful Laguiole pictured is locking! I also hope she doesn't see the spoon, it'll remind her I still haven't carved her a kuksa. Hope she doesn't break the bone china mug she takes travelling- really.

It's so heartening to see that craftsmanship is alive and well in our industrialised age. Fine French cutlery is alive and well in pockets all over France. At our local market, one can buy beautiful traditional Catalan knives direct from the maker, alas I can't afford one. Perhaps I should drastically improve my spoon making ability.

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
Hope my wife doesn't see this thread. Her EDC is a GB legal non-lock Laguiole that I got her in our place in France to replace her locking Opinel, which I got her to replace her Old Hickory sheath knife that I got her in the US - she's so law-abiding. I'll tell her that the beautiful Laguiole pictured is locking! I also hope she doesn't see the spoon, it'll remind her I still haven't carved her a kuksa. Hope she doesn't break the bone china mug she takes travelling- really.

It's so heartening to see that craftsmanship is alive and well in our industrialised age. Fine French cutlery is alive and well in pockets all over France. At our local market, one can buy beautiful traditional Catalan knives direct from the maker, alas I can't afford one. Perhaps I should drastically improve my spoon making ability.

Well Oldtimer.
I guess you'll have to practice making lots of beautiful spoons and sell them at the market in good old France. I'm sure you'll get a Laguiole soon enough.
I have spent quite a bit of time travelling round and working in France, I've seen lots of Laguiole, but none as special as this one made by Mag's. It sure is great when you find good artisans making wonderful things. I guess that's why I love France, lots of people making lots of interesting, and quite often tastey, things.
Cheers for now.
J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE