Made me a trade knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I made this trade knife at the seem time as i was teaching a friend to make his first knife.
The knife is made from 01 tool steel, with brass pins, tube and the wood was from an old front door.
This is the first time that i have had ago at file work on a blade.

dsc00465py.jpg

dsc00466ds.jpg

dsc00515i.jpg

dsc00516c.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Cheers
Topknot

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks Topknot, wikipedia throws up;

The Spanish Notch is often cited as a mechanism for catching an opponent's blade; however, some Bowie researchers hold that the Spanish Notch is ill-suited to this function and frequently fails to achieve the desired results. These researchers, instead, hold that the Spanish Notch has the much more mundane function as a tool for stripping sinew and repairing rope and nets, as a guide to assist in sharpening the blade (assuring that the sharpening process starts at a specific point and not further up the edge), or as a point to relieve stress on the blade during use.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks guy's.
Its called a Spanish notch and i do not have a clue what its for ? .

Topknot

A lot of debate about "Spanish Notches", one (and the most popular) is that it's a blade catcher for when fighting an opponent (you'd better be good for it to work), another is that it makes blood drip off of the blade rather than run down onto the handle, another that it was for stripping sinew and another that on the Kukri at least it was to represent a cows hoof due to religious significance. Take your pick.
GB.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice knife mate :)

I can see theres been a lot of googling done about the spanish notch :lmao:

Personally i would say it serves the same purpose as the notch on the Kukri. To interrupt blood flow from getting to the handle and making it slippy if your skinning game or indeed, fighting. Personally i reckon it was more based for butchering than fighting.

Last edited:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Thank you guys for the feed back on the Spanish notch and the comments on the knife.
As to the sheath i got an idea in my mind, woodland Indian style neck sheath if i can get the parts for it.

Cheers
Topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE