Made a staff

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Well, I chose this bit of Hazel because it was fairly straight. It was also a little larger than the usual ones available as shanks, both in length and width. Nearly 55" / 1390mm long and 1 1/4" / 30mm diameter at the base. I need to find a ferrule for it and give it some more sanding but this is something I wanted to make for myself so it's not really meant to be a production job. One of the reasons was to find out the differences between carving a small piece and a full length shank. Well, it's a right pig! I'm used to being able to turn the piece around easily to change the angle or direction of cut and that is really hard with something this length. I have to rethink a lot of how I carve when I'm doing a stick or staff. Still got some work to do as I say but here it is so far :)

So, what do you think of my little stick?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great looking wood spirit, very nice work.

I have used spend shotgun casings as ferrules in the past, just cut off the brass cap:D recycle..

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd love to be able to carve like that, I've tried but with the instructions at hand it was a bit of an aborted effort! If I had decent instructions or somebody to show me correctly, I may be able to make something similar, in other words a tutorial would be greatly received :D !

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
great peice of work that. looks like you really spent time smoothing the look off as many just leave them with a rough chizelled look.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
It is indeed a very nice carving :) . It's also a good exercise in tool control when you have restricted mobility for your piece :rolleyes: I also found it's quite hard finding the right stick of the right size for carving. The ones you can buy are really a bit too small.

You can use a piece of copper tubing (about 1 1/2" long) for the ferrule, fit it quite tightly and the hammering sort of rounds the edge and flattens it as well. A bit of epoxy seals the wood on the end and don't forget to use a couple of small nails too to keep the tube in place.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd love to be able to carve like that, I've tried but with the instructions at hand it was a bit of an aborted effort! If I had decent instructions or somebody to show me correctly, I may be able to make something similar, in other words a tutorial would be greatly received :D !

Seconded :)

Very good Rafe

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Well, I don't know what to say except thank you all!

Now, as for a tutorial, I think I should point out I've only carved 8 of these so far! I learnt it from a book - Wood Spirits & Green Men, by Lora Irish, Chris Pye and Shawn Cipa (on Google Books, see inside)

Shawn Cipa does a fantastic job of leading you through the process of carving a woodspirit walking stick with over 40 steps each with a photo. I really can't praise this guy enough. Go to the 15th page on the Google books link and you'll see the start of the woodspirit tutorial. It goes about 3/4 through the whole process on that link actually.

Now one thing with this is you're going to need at least some carving tools, not just a knife. Those suckers are expensive if you want something that will do the job right, or you can get cheap things that you'll spend an age getting the profiles right and trying to sharpen. The set I've got is by Flexcut and gives me 10 interchangeable blades and a handle and while they are quality tools they are not the best choice, you really want a good starter set of gouges you can hit with a mallet! So budget around £100+ for a good set. There's a tool list in the book too. The Flexcut set I have is only really any good for handheld work so I need to get the power handle for when I can finally set up a bench and pin the sucker down :D then I can use a mallet on them as well. It does have all the tools I need though, apart from a knife. For that you want something with a blade about 1" long, straight bladed and narrowing to a good sharp point so you can get into the eyes for the detail. My knife's a bit on the bulky side really, I'd love a narrower and shorter one.

If after all that you guys really want me to take pics and write up something along the lines of a tute I'll try my best :) Shawn does it better though! :lmao:

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Did another woodspirit incence holder today. Took some pics of the process - 34 of them! This is the end result...

I'll try to write up something sensible to go with the pics, since it's going to be so large though I've asked Tony how to go about posting it. Even using thumbnails that's going to be one epic post :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE