Made a chopping block

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
Evening all,

further to my adventures in spoon carving, I happened to come across an old log seat. You know the type, a hefty log cut by a chainsaw to make a little seat with backrest? Anyway, I repurposed it.

In the field opposite my house there is a load of hawtorn growing, so I cut a few pieces for legs and with the help of some of my closest friends Mr. Black, Mr. Decker and Mr. Stihl my new proud things were created . . . .

et viola . . .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fi2RKtX4TBf6QXot9

There is a little play in the legs as the hawtorn was a little thinner than I would have liked but I'm hoping they stiffen up as they dry.

p.s. they look very wonky in the pics. The ground was very uneven so they sat straight. I have since cut the legs to make them properly straight.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RXcnLAKy9XdXiYuU6

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Tree shrinks when it dries. If you want to keep those legs, just bed them in using epoxy (turn the block upside down first) or hammer in woiden wedges secured with pine resin ( if you want to have oldfashined fun)

Should last you for a very, very long time!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mortice and tennon joints (dry) will allow the legs to be replaced as time and materials permit.
Now all you need a is a crate of 12 week-old chickens and a cooking fire in the BBQ with apple wood smoke.

Reactions: DanBow

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
Thanks for your ki d comments.

Looks good! And a good height too. Happy chopping!

The height was quite by accident but I have recently watched one of Ben Orfords videos where he talks a little about chopping blocks. He says a good height is so that your knuckles sort of drag on the top of the block. Which it does. So I'm happy.

Tree shrinks when it dries. If you want to keep those legs, just bed them in using epoxy (turn the block upside down first) or hammer in woiden wedges secured with pine resin ( if you want to have oldfashined fun)

Should last you for a very, very long time!

Wooden wedges, I like that idea. Makes it a little more portable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE