Machette, Golock, Brush Cutter, recomendation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have a fair bit of hacking of nasty plants in the back garden, when i say a fair bit i mean allot. I was just wondering if anyone can recomend a decent tool for the job, not wanting the granfors brucks super dooper tool but the one that will last, any thoughts?

Had thought about the fiskars one but can't find them in the UK

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...10001&langId=&catalogId=10101&productId=10532

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Have you tried Homebase for hte Fiskars?

I suspect it will be a bit oo thick and heavy for just plants.

The cheapest option would be a long kitchen knife. Fast to swing and thin to slice through the plants.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the fiskars brush hook is light and handy, :cool: sounds like just what you need. 25 quid in b&q at the bottom of my road.

cheers, and.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What about a cheap billhook.

Or get a second hand one and attach it to a pole of maybe a couple of feet in length. That'll go through anything.

I will second that.
I had to clear an old hazel copice of brambles and gawd knows what. I found it best to trace back the bamble to its root then chop all the stems and drag it out with very thick gloves and burn ! Then dig out roots.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
A good ol 'slasher' will do the trick. There are several shapes from almost a billhooked one to that which looks like a sickle. One with a slight curve will 'do' brambles as you can wield it like a long sword and also do the fine stuff such as cutting the bramble roots when you have slashed your way into the centre.

Try Chieftain Forge (Google will get their store site) They are an old fashioned Forestry tools suppliers with a wealth of knowledge and expertese. They have a good range of hand tools including slashers. I'm talking here about a tool with a four foot handle and 18'' head so it will stand 5'6''. You can do a lot of work with this and never see a thorn!

Hope this helps.

Swyn.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hire a stihl brushcutter with one of the scrubbcutting blades with the fins that send all the debris spinning down the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE