Lure Fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Does anyone use lures that could give me a few tips?

After reading W00dsmokes thread and getting the basics I went out and had a go today but wasnt very successful, only thing I caught was a tree when I tried to cast. :(

Ive done other fishing using floats and maggots but it got a bit boring sitting there waiting for a little red stick to sink. Using lures was far more fun and active, I just dont think Im doing it right.

Giving it a go in sweden but Ill need some practice before then I think.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I do a fair bit of lure fishing but to be honest i prefer doing it in the warmer months.

I find the humble spinner is one of the best lures, reeled in, in a "jigging" motion, i.e a sharp push on the reel handle, followed by a slow retrieve.

You'll pick all sorts up using spinners.

I find the most annoying thing about lure fishing is underwater snags (i.e shopping trolleys!) and i must admit i do lose a fair few lures.

I broke my spinning rod a few months ago when i dropped a birch log i had cut on it, completely shattered it! On the look out for a cheap one now.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
when you use lures or spinners make sure you keep active only do a maximum of about 10-12 casts per swim.

dont be scared to cast along the bank sides a few metres into the water, you will find more small "jack" pike around 3-5 lb. they tend to keep close to the shore for cover from bigger fish.

keep moving along the swims and sooner or later you will get some fish.

chances are you will lose spinners so dont get to attached to a favourit spinner like i always do lol.

and dont forget to use a trace wire or the pike or perch will bite through the line to...

hope this helps........... chris

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
I only lure fish these days and you do eventually get little techniques to help you snag less but it's true that if you don't get snagged you're not where the fish will be. maybe get some rubber shads if you're fishing particularly snaggy areas with a large single hook coming out of the back and spinners and spoons are fantastic but with the shads you can fish nearly any depth of water. Just keep moving and keep casting don't get put off and don't give up. Slower retrieves in winter and faster in the summer is my general rule but vary it and see :) good luck and if your catch rate improves let us know.

Steve.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
All good tips above, when you cast the floating minnow let it sit on the surface for a while to let the fish home in on the splash, before you give it a reel twitch it a few times. Any fish feeding up in the surface layers or that have homed in on the lure may just hit it then. If nothing give it a short fast reel to get it down to its maximum working depth.

When its at its max depth for a floating minnow I reel them "pull then pause" basically pull the lure towards you with the rod you will feel it working (wiggling) through the rod. Then pause move the rod back towards the lure as you reel in the slack. Try not to give any slack and stay in touch with the lure as a strike can happen at any time. This "pull and pause" method is more effective for Pike and Perch as it acts as a trigger for their predatory instinct.

I find this by far the best way to fish a floating minnow for Pike and Perch, but not Trout.

Pike are harder to catch at this time of year on lures as they spread throughout the water column. But in summer smaller fish tend to get in amoungst the shallow water and weeds and can become easy to catch. Its good fun in the summer as you can catch allot of fish and boost your confidence. The only problem with summer lure fishing is the big ones suffer from warm water stress so they tend to lurk in cooler water (deeper) so they can be harder to find, but once found they are easy to catch.

The one most important tip about lure fishing is SHARP HOOKS, they should be so sharp they wont drag over your finger nail they should dig in straight away, this is the one thing most lure anglers let themselves down on.

Any other lure or fishing questions fire away.

Oh one last wee thing, if you hit a snag with a floating minnow, try not to reel it hard onto it, somethimes if you give it a wee bit slack it will back up out of the snag, not always but sometimes.

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Thanks for the info guys, I will get some more lures and extra bits this week and try again on saturday.

The lure I have says floating, I presume there are different kinds? Ive seen some rubbery ones too (are they those shads?). Are any better in certain areas or is it just try a selection?

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Shads are the rubber ones that look like fish with paddle tails, the ones with a cork screw tail are called grubs.

All are worth a try, welcome to the deep dark expensive world or lure fishing, lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish!!!!!

There are some lures allot better than others and you would be better (cheaper) to buy lures recomended by other anglers as it will save you wasting money on all the ones that dont work.

If you give us an idea of the type and size of lures your rod and reel can cast and what sort of fish your after we could recomend some for you!!!

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Im completely new to using lures so its probably best if you recomend some to me. Im hoping to catch some fish when I go to sweden, inspired by Lars Monsen :D so anything edible really, perch, trout, pike etc.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i find the best shads to get are white ones with reds heads seems to trigger something in the fishes lol. also tie some red wool round the hooks of your spinners perch go nuts for it, and as your reelng twitch the rod every couple of seconds it imitates a wounded fish which is easy prey for predators

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
i would suggest savage gear lures they're brilliant they do shads and hard bodied lures but can be a bit expensive. Some good websites are http://www.pikeandperch.co.uk/ (this guy seems to know his stuff) http://www.harrissportsmail.com/?PartnerID=16&gclid=CI2cqdjAx58CFQYslAodAH9vzg (first used them when it was family run now masterline own it i think but still a good website) http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/ one of the best sites i know of. and of course for tips you can't go wrong with charlie bettell http://www.esox.co.uk/. I hope all of this helps and if you have any specific questions feel free to message me :)

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
If I were you, I would use general sized lure that will take Pike, Perch and Trout so your not cutting your nose off. If you use pike lures they will generally be to big for Perch and Trout, and I guess from what your saying you just want to catch fish

Spinners
Rapala Vibrax, quite light big blade fishes shallower
Mepps XD, heavier cast further tighter blade fishes deeper

Spoon
Abu Toby Salmo, big light great fish catcher
Dardevele 1oz (or acme little cleo, heavier casts further fishes deeper (good fished jigged)

Crankbait
Rapala brown trout coloured jointed, mid depth lure
Abu Tormentor brown trout coloured, fishes shallow good for fish chasing fry
Cotton Cordell Big O 3" perch colour (since shakespeare bigs are no longer available)

Rubber
White grub tail, glow in the dark jig head (size maybe 5" mr twister)
Natural coloured shad, neutral colored jig head (5" shad)

Spinnerbait
Fudally Musky Candy, red blades, white bucktail and white grub(Fish stick to this lure) can be fished easily through weed.

I have caught fish on these 10 lures all over the world, they will fish every inch of the water column, they are all easily bought on ebay or harris sportsmail.

Avoid the friendly fisherman, they are all RRP or dearer, money can be saved buying second hand from ebay.com (america) as there is a huge market over there for bass lures

Im completely new to using lures so its probably best if you recomend some to me. Im hoping to catch some fish when I go to sweden, inspired by Lars Monsen :D so anything edible really, perch, trout, pike etc.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
WOW! some list of lures there mate, Ill print off this list and take it with me to the tackle shop and see which ones they have. All good advice guys, keep it coming. :)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
the best way to cover a swim is to use a clockface approach 9, 10, 11 12 etc with 12 being in front of you. Also for sinking lures count depths in seconds too this way you can cover the entire area and varying depths once youve exhausted the plan move swim or change spinner, the same plan can be used for fly fishing. Once depth is worked out ie by catching a fish more can follow by sticking to it this works well with trout. Pike / Perch are more solitary also use watercraft. If you see a sunken tree fish as close as your comfortable to cast to it predatory fish such as pike ambush from such places same applies to other features such as weed beds etc

mikeob

Jun 3, 2009
Cardiff
Do not forget surface poppers like Storm Chug Bugs or Rapala Skitter Pops. Nothing in lure fishing beats the sight of a predatory fish nailing one of these off the top. On the right day they are unbeatable.
They can also be cast into areas where a subsurface lure cannot be worked because you can see the obstructions.
Finally, if you feel the need to get into the salt, they are the ultimate bass killers
Don't leave home without one.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE