Ludicrous decision by Ebay - Knifeless Item rejected!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Having just purchased a LM Supertool 300 I thought I'd try selling my LM knifeless Fuse on Ebay pointing out explicitly in the listing that this was Leatherman's officially knifeless product.

It was pulled of course. I appealed. It was reinstated. It was then pulled, appealed, reinstated and pulled again. Finally the service dept said they'd give me a definitive ruling. Here is is:

We have investigated about the type of the item (Ref # XXX) you had listed and taken opinions of policy teams so that we can provide you with the final decision and be helpful in avoiding future concerns. We came to know that this item has sharp edges similar to knives and there is a possibility of getting misused of it. This actually comes under those items which are often witnessed during inappropriate activities.
To safeguard the interest of eBay Community, we are currently having ban on this item. You may refer the link related to this item: http://www.leatherman.com/product/Fuse

I suggest not relisting this item on eBay and enjoy trading with your other items. I hope this communication will help you decrease the inconvenience you had in last few days.

Moving forward, I appreciate your full cooperation that you have shown in this process. If you have any questions or doubts regarding this decision or policy, please contact back to us and we'll be glad to have a discussion with you.

Here's my reply:

I note you provide the a link below to the Leatherman Fuse description: http://www.leatherman.com/product/Fuse

As I have continually pointed out, I suggest you actually listen to what I am saying and have a look at: http://www.leatherman.com/product/Knifeless Fuse

Note the word 'knifeless'.

The only 'edges' on the item are wire cutters and small scissors. On a current check you have 12,181 items listed under scissors and 12,669 under pliers.

I fully understand (but fundamentally disagree with) your media hysteria led and cowardly stance on not listing knives on ebay uk but there is no knife on this item. It was specially made for circumstances in which knives are not allowed.

Madness!

I await the reply. The profit margin wasn't enough to persuade me to get a BCUK membership and sell here but I'm getting damn close!

Mark

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You are so dead meat with Ebay now :lmao:

Totally agree with you though and a well worded reply you posted too. Let's hope the snot-nosed zit factory brat passes it higher up the payscale and doesn't make another "but the book says" decision.

"...your media hysteria led and cowardly stance..." Yeah that's telling 'em! Bit red flag to a bull as well but live on the edge I say. :D

Let us know what the outcome is please, I'm really one for cheering on the underdog having a pop at the big guns like this.

Last edited:

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Last edited:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
good on you though - not that it will make much difference I fear. Shame really as this knee jerk nanny culture really pushes my button! :aargh4:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Utterly ridiculous!

I understand why they don't want to sell knives but there are so many ways to get around it (like the straight razors which were very popular in the past with street gangs apparently) and if you are selling something which is primarily a tool with no knife then it's just stupid!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Mark

Fancy wanting to trade in a lethal weapon :nono:

Who knows what's next......a pen?

BTW, if anyone here doesn't believe a simple pen can't reach the brain through the eye ball needs to study physiology :D.

Reminds me of the ridiculous situation on our Aussie Airlines post Sept 11.

No knives onboard, no exception :nono:

After all, we all know knives are only weapons...right?

Yet when they served dinner, they supplied steel knives & forks :lmao:

Obviously terrorists don't eat dinner on Airlines :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Either that or the steak they serve is too tough for a plastic knife :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
- after all why would you want to apply common sense to a empty gesture!?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What gets me is they wont let me bid on something abroad.

(And we wont talk about some of the media material they sell)

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
DHL are not much better guys.

I purchased a double bit FELLING axe from a guy and sent DHL to collect it. They duly did collect it and then returned it to him 2 hours later and refused to deliver it. Incidentally, in two hours they could have driven it to me!
Their reason for refusing to carry it was that it was a weapon.
I spent a lot of time on the phone asking them if they would like to send me written confirmation of my need to transport weaponry so that when I saw my lawyers, they would have both liabled AND defamed me!
I explained repeatedly that it was a tool and yet they would only refer to it as a weapon. I further explained that if they ever carried a vase, and a lady were to, in a fit of passion, brain her husband with it, that would indeed be a weapon and no longer a vase.
To be fair, a couple of the people I spoke to found it quite amusing, my approach wasnt particularly shirty with them - I just wanted to make a fuss.
Anyway, I work for a steel company so, between me and the seller, we decided that we wanted to do a hardness test on the steel so - the following day DHL collected a steel sample!
The steel is hard - nice axe - happy days - one up for the sensible little guy!

ATB
Dave

ps ebay are just stupid, I can't buy a pen knife or leatherman but I can buy a cleaver, bill hook, sythe, axe ... ? Also. if you find a nice leukku that you like on swedish ebay, email the seller and talk to him un-officially away from ebay you can get a cracking deal cheaper that it would have been on ebay anyway - or so I'm told!

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Get creative with the title i say..Ive had loads of billhooks and drawknives pulled, the best reason ive had was i wasnt allowed to sell that type of consumer electronics.It was a ruddy billhook!!!.I now list them with titles like drawshave and woodmans tool.Theres still loads of penknives on there as well..just under 'creative' descriptions.
As for ebay help you may as well bang yer head against a wall.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE