Ludicrous decision by Ebay - Knifeless Item rejected!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Is it time to start demanding some sort of compensation for your wasted time? An eBay voucher for instance, though cash would be better.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
maybe you should remove the term "knifeless" from the name in case it is an automatic filter removing it.

good luck dealing with these morons,
ATB
TJ

Back in my eBay trading days I regularly had items pulled for some rather interesting reasons.

One neck knife was pulled as they deemed the term 'neck knife' to imply it is to be used for cutting necks!!! (honestly, it's true!)

A cut throat razor was pulled for the same reasons.

An M16 Bayonet was pulled as you cannot list firearms.

I've also had similar fun with the Royal Mail / Parcelforce - one post office employee tried to tell me all knives were banned from import to the UK!

The level of ignorance, stupidity and fear we have to face when dealing in and buying tools is a direct result of the pathetic over-hyped slavering press who exist only to infuriate, intimidate and anger the public while ensuring they remain ignorant little consumers.

Ebay are allowed to sell knives but have made a decision not to. IIRC one of their reasons was that they could not guarentee the buyer was legally old enough to buy the knife...........

Yet they are still happy to sell many other age restricted items?

The eBay knife ban was one of the most cowardly and pathetic episodes in the long decline of eBay - made even more disgusting by the way the illegal tv 'investigation' went un-challenged despite directly and intentionally breaking the law.

Best thing I ever did was ditch eBay as a trade outlet.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hah! and I thought I had issues with the morons at the Forestry Commission!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Great fun, when you think about it though Mark;)

I wonder if Ebay have a complaints robot like BT does? You know these hoojahs that trawl the likes of Facebook and other forums, looking for any mention of slagging off BT. If they think its serious enough, apparently they log on, ( must join the "forum" I suppose:confused:) then apologise publicly and ask how they can help:35:

Somehow I doubt it:rolleyes:

cheers anyway and good luck;)

Steve

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
This is the latest from the f*ckwits at ebay:

Hello Mark,

With regards to the removal of your listing for 'Leatherman Multitool',
item number 290444457533, I'm sorry to say that the item will not be
permitted.

After the completion of the chat with you, I escalated your issue to our
policy experts and have got the confirmation form them that the item
will not be permitted as it contains a knife.

If you wish to differ with eBay's policy then please contact eBay
directly at the following address:

OOTP
Ebay
P.O. Box 9473
Dublin, Ireland

I'm extremely sorry for the confustion and inconvenience this may have
caused to you.

Again, thank you for your email and please don't hesitate to let us know
if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind regards,

Hank A
eBay Trust & Safety

I'm going to have fun with them tomorrow on the phone.

You couldn't make this up. This has got beyond selling - it's really personal now.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Nest time you put it up, let us know, then we can all "watch" it and we can all complain too when it gets removed.

Good luck on the phone tomorrow.

Maybe you should list it as "Knifeless - no knife - does not contain a knife - no blade - no sharp - completely safe multitool"

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
If/when they do eventually accept it, you should bundle an axe with it for the pure irony.

thats ok they allow axes, theyre only big sharp heavy blades. its the tiny short light ones that they are worried about, axes are fine cause it would only take one quick blow to kill someone with requiring no skill whatsoever, its teh little knives that need either repeated stabs/slashes or some skillfully well aimed slashes that involve much difficult performing on an unwilling victim and are very unlikely to succeed in killing someone that they are worried about.
honestly i would find it much easier to kill someone by snapping their neck or simply kicking their head in than i would with the little knives on leathermans (even though this particular leatherman has no knife). not that i ever hope to find myself in a situation where i would need to do so.

maybe they are worried you will try to shove it down someones throat and make them choke to death on it.

TJ

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Here we go:

mark_james_wood
Initial Question/Comment: UK CW LP- PI
23:03:41 System
Richard Bogart has joined this session!
23:03:41 System
Connected with Richard Bogart
23:03:51 Richard Bogart
Welcome to eBay Live Help. I am Richard. Please give me a moment while I check your account details.
23:05:45 mark_james_wood
Hi Richard. Do you think I'm a Liar?
23:06:21 Richard Bogart
Thank you for your patience, I have now verified your account.
23:06:32 Richard Bogart
How may I help you today?
23:06:39 mark_james_wood
I repeat Richard. Do you think I'm a liar?
23:09:47 mark_james_wood
Because, haiving listed a multitool as Knifeless, no less that seven times, Incuding having appologetic admissions of missunderstanding from numerous people at ebay customer support, including providing links to Leatherman's site for their KNIFELESS - that means WITHOUT a BLADE, Hank A at ebay now thinks that I'm selling an item with a blade.
23:11:04 mark_james_wood
You have wasted masses of my time on this and I will not let it drop.
23:11:57 mark_james_wood
Are you still there Richard because I want a supervisor?
23:14:03 mark_james_wood
Hello?
23:14:22 Richard Bogart
Please bear with me for a few moments while I investigate this for you.
23:14:31 mark_james_wood
Let me quote my conversation from this afternoon:
23:15:25 mark_james_wood
mark_james_wood
Initial Question/Comment: UK CW LP- PI
16:13:43 System
Hank A. has joined this session!
16:13:43 System
Connected with Hank A.
16:13:48 Hank A.
Welcome to eBay Live Help, my name is Hank. Please give me a moment while I check your account details.
16:14:39 mark_james_wood
Can you guess how happy I am with ebay customer support?
16:14:58 Hank A.
Thank you for waiting. I have reviewed your account details. How may I help you?
16:16:56 mark_james_wood
Let me see. How about telling me why after I've had this conversation 9 times, and had numerous assurances that there would be notes on my listing, and had a promise from Esther Dorgan at customer support, you imbeceles have once again cancelled the listing for my KNIFELESS, thats KNIFELESS for the 100th time Multitool?
16:18:03 Hank A.
I can understand your frustration regarding this. Please give me a couple of minutes to look into this.
1614 Hank A.
I have reviewed your listing and found that it was removed incorrectly. I understand your disappointment regarding this matter.
1628 Hank A.
We apologise sincerely for any inconvenience this has caused to you.
1638 mark_james_wood
That's what I keep hearing. That and a promise it won't happen again.
16:24:45 Hank A.
I will quickly get your item reinstated so that you can relist it from the "Unsold" section of your My eBay.
16:26:16 mark_james_wood
It feels like a vendetta at times. Do you think anyone will actually bother to bid when it keeps getting pulled? I've just checked and it's been removed six times so far. What will you do differently to stop it being removed again?
1629 Hank A.
Mark, let me tell you that this time I will escalate your issue to the higher authority to make sure that this mistake won't be repeated and you may get a call from them to discuss this matter.
16:28:11 mark_james_wood
Ok. We'll see yet again how long it lasts. I'm guessing about 6 hours.
16:29:11 mark_james_wood
Sorry to get angry with you but the process isn't inspiring me with any confidence.
23:18:13 mark_james_wood
Hank A now, after reflection thinks this knifeless item should be reomoved as it contains a knife. I can't find one - leatherman didn't make it with one but hey perhaps Hank knows something we all don't? As I have told ebay quite a few times before, have a look at at: http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=14&f=6&c=1
23:20:46 mark_james_wood
And Richard, please don't tell me that you're really sorry, you've made a mistake and you'll let me relist, oh and that you'll alert your supervisor and their supervisor as I've heard this seven times before. The whole thing is a joke and I'm f*cking incandescent with rage.
23:23:46 Richard Bogart
Thank you for your patience, I'm still looking into this for you.
23:23:54 mark_james_wood
I bet you are.
23:24:24 mark_james_wood
Is there a robot that answers these queries with a made up name every time?
23:29:21 Richard Bogart
Thanks for waiting.
23:31:07 mark_james_wood
I'm definitely simmering if that's what you mean.
23:35:46 Richard Bogart
Please stay connected as I'm reviewing some information for you.
23:36:08 mark_james_wood
Oh I'm waiting with baited breath,
23:39:34 mark_james_wood
By the way, this is another 40 minutes of my life I've wasted with ebay.
23:49:46 Richard Bogart
What's the exact error message you get?
23:50:21 Richard Bogart
Please ignore the previous communication, its an system error.
23:51:10 mark_james_wood
I'm sorry - this mesage:
23:51:14 mark_james_wood

info

Print

Subject: Clarification regarding the removal of item number 290444457533 (KMM28728825I15977L0KM) Received: 12-Jun-10
Hello Mark,

With regards to the removal of your listing for 'Leatherman Multitool',
item number 290444457533, I'm sorry to say that the item will not be
permitted.

After the completion of the chat with you, I escalated your issue to our
policy experts and have got the confirmation form them that the item
will not be permitted as it contains a knife.

If you wish to differ with eBay's policy then please contact eBay
directly at the following address:

OOTP
Ebay
P.O. Box 9473
Dublin, Ireland

I'm extremely sorry for the confustion and inconvenience this may have
caused to you.

Again, thank you for your email and please don't hesitate to let us know
if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind regards,

Hank A
eBay Trust & Safety
23:51:50 mark_james_wood
Is an error? I don't think so. You lot don't know what the hell you are doing.
23:53:06 Richard Bogart
No, i was concerned with one which was wrongly send in error by system in our chat session.
23:54:04 mark_james_wood
Ok so what now?
23:55:32 Richard Bogart
I have now reviewed all your previous communication and the history of the removed items.
23:56:27 mark_james_wood
Ok. Do you think this knifeLESS multitool has a blade?
23:57:46 mark_james_wood
By the way this is nearly an hour hour ebay has claimed from my life.
23:57:52 Richard Bogart
This confusion has been developed because of the product you are selling "Leatherman Multitool", please note that 'Leatherman' sells two types of tools.
23:59:19 mark_james_wood
Leatherman sells lots of things. It sells multitools. It sells accessories for multitools. It sells folding knives. It sells secateurs and pruners. it sells torches. You guys really ought to try surfing the internet once in a while.
23:59:20 Richard Bogart
One with knife and the other without knife and so its getting hard to identify which one is the tool which includes the knife.
23:59:57 mark_james_wood
You know what, I think the phrase KNIFELESS might be a f*cking big giveaway.
00:00:08 Richard Bogart
However, i am now in process to reinstate your removed listing.
00:00:16 mark_james_wood
Not good enough.
00:00:23 Richard Bogart
Please refrain from using bad language. If you continue in this manner I will be forced to close this session.
00:00:40 mark_james_wood
Sorry but I've been through this so many times.
00:01:38 Richard Bogart
I can understand your frustration in this matter but using bad language will not resolve this issue.
00:01:47 mark_james_wood
Ok won't happen again.
00:03:03 Richard Bogart
This confusion has been created as 'Leatherman' also sells an similar identical tool which contains a knife in it.
00:03:55 mark_james_wood
I'm trying to restrain myself but I was aware of that. the listing does say that it's the knifeless version. i even quote Leatherman in the listing.
00:05:12 Richard Bogart
Yes, i can see that and so on this basis i am now reinstating your removed listing, please stay connected as i do the needfull.
00:05:53 mark_james_wood
What's really irritating is that I've had a succession of people at ebay agree that it's knifeless and swear that I'm ok to relist only for someone else to pull it.
00:06:43 mark_james_wood
There's probably nothing you can say that doesn't make me think that if I relist it will be pulled within a few hours.
00:08:08 Richard Bogart
I have now reinstated your removed listing, you may relist your item on eBay but please make sure that you provide sufficient images in your listing to make it clear that its an knifeless tool so our team does not gets confused again.
00:08:16 mark_james_wood
Oh an thats more than an hour of my life gone here.
00:08:53 mark_james_wood
How do I do that? I show all the baldes in my listing. I can't show what isn't there!
00:09:39 Richard Bogart
However, i am also sending an update to our team about the knife less tool so next time they do not get confuse and remove anymore of knife less tools.
00:09:51 mark_james_wood
I've heard that SEVEN times before.
00:10:14 Richard Bogart
That's fine, you may relist your item on eBay.
00:10:17 mark_james_wood
Who is this team of anti knife fanatics?
00:11:13 mark_james_wood
Right I'll relist. If it survives until morning I'll be staggered. I can only try the telephone next time. Goodnight Richard.

I love ebay - I really do.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
It's relisted. The title is now "Leatherman Multitool without a blade - no knife at all". If they pull it again I'll be giving it away here.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I'm trying to restrain myself from asking you a question on ebay regarding the item!

I was thinking:

"Excuse me, does this item have a knife?"

I'm now watching it and will join in the complaints if it goes. Am even thinking now of bidding even though I don't want it!

BTW its 290444638107 if anyone else wants to join the party!

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
i'm watching it, if they remove it i'll send them a piece of my mind, i have a particularly unpleasant part they can have *evil grin*

its all just so utterly ridiculous. good luck this time mate,
TJ

PS. anyone else see on the listing where ebay kindly explain what the term "used" means, maybe someone should return the favour and explain to them what the term "knifeless" means.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
That phrase makes me believe that Richard isn't his name at all. As far as I know that phrase is peculiar to the Indian subcontinent.
Yep, I'd say almost definitely. It's probably an Indian based call centre with made up names to make them sound 'American'

Anyway, with any luck you'll have gone though just about everyone at eBay who'd pull the ad and they'll all know to leave it now.
Ha! :)

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I don't think Ebay are alone in this sort of lunacy. Yesterday afternoon I was self-scanning my shopping in Tesco and had to wait for a member of staff to come and check that I was old enough to purchase... a palette knife! You know, the thing that has a thin, flexible blade, but no sharp edge.

Then again, visiting my local County Court the other day, just to collect some forms, I was obliged to go through airport-style security, and specifically to hand over my ID card. This is apparently in case some miscreant tries to impersonate court staff, apparently.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE