Lowe Alpine: Sting & Stingray

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just let you all know I bought a Lowe Alpine Stingray (in OG) last friday :D
I'll do a review after I've returned from the Bushmoot.

Already can tell you it's far more comfy than my Sabre 60-100 :D

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
I've been salivating over this pack for some time now but I'm a little worried about the "Torso Fit System"... Doing a rough measurement of my "torso", from top of hip bone to 7th vertebrae, I get at least 21". I'm looking at this pack to replace my Karrimor Sabre 45 which I've found to be a great pack if only I could use the waist belt for its intended purpose. I'm 6'3" / 193cm and I definitely want to stay with this style and size of pack. Will the Sting or Stingray do? or is the 20" torso setting going to be to short once again...
Johan, you're Dutch, you must be pretty tall, what are your thoughts?

Thank you much,

Jacob V.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've been salivating over this pack for some time now but I'm a little worried about the "Torso Fit System"... Doing a rough measurement of my "torso", from top of hip bone to 7th vertebrae, I get at least 21". I'm looking at this pack to replace my Karrimor Sabre 45 which I've found to be a great pack if only I could use the waist belt for its intended purpose. I'm 6'3" / 193cm and I definitely want to stay with this style and size of pack. Will the Sting or Stingray do? or is the 20" torso setting going to be to short once again...
Johan, you're Dutch, you must be pretty tall, what are your thoughts?

Thank you much,

Jacob V.

Jacob,

Sorry for this late reply - I completely missed out this thread when you posted on it.
I'm Dutch and of average length :D (OK - for Dutch standards ;) ). Being 193cm (like you), I'm very happy with it. I've set it at 20 inch and it fits perfect.
Before this sack I had a Karrimor 60-100, which I couldn't get used to. It just wouldn't fit. Both Stingray / Sting will do. They are exactly the same, only being that the stingray has a internal compartment divider to make 2 separate compartments; and the Sting is just 1 compartment.

Let me know if you need info.

BTW I'm working on a review, though due to other obligations I just get around it to complete it :(

hi, is it your lowe on ebay? if so im intrested,
jim

No, that's not mine :) I'm way to happy with it to sell :p

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
Gegroet Johan,

Thanks for the reply. I found myself not able to wait any longer and bought the bag. I first contacted Lowe Alpine to ask them about the torso length issue. They told me that with my torso (yes I'm also 193cm but my torso is closer to 22 inches... guess I'm kinda disproportionate...) I'd be better of getting the Salient which is adjustable to 22 inches. The Salient looks like a nice pack but with a 90 liter main compartment just a wee bit to big for my likings. Unfortunately there were no retailers anywhere near me (within a 200 miles or less) that I could go to and try the pack. Luckily, if you buy a pack via the Lowe Alpine web site, via one of the retailers they approve, and it is not to your liking you can send or bring it back to the nearest retailer for a refund. This took away most of my reasons not to try it, well, enough of them anyway...
Got the pack, like the pack, but it is was still to short for my torso (as they had told me...), but the adjustability allowed me to make a little adjustment (see pic) and now it fits great!
I'm really happy with it; it easily fits all my gear, it is comfortable on long hikes, easy to organize and seems to be strong and durable (although seemingly not as robust as the Sabre...)
2 question though;

1. what is the purpose of the velcro/hook and loop strip on the bottom of the lid...? Just can't figure it out...
2. Why the snap buttons right behind the shoulders, attached to the internal frame? (see pic also)

DSCF5377.jpg

A little extra webbing just behind the handle about 2 inches higher seems to be doing the trick...

Thank you much,

Jacob V.

Woodenshoe rather be Dutch

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Jacob ook gegroet,

Your questions:

1. what is the purpose of the velcro/hook and loop strip on the bottom of the lid...? Just can't figure it out...
2. Why the snap buttons right behind the shoulders, attached to the internal frame? (see pic also)

1. I think they are meant to keep loose straps on their place;
2. they look like the retainers for the frame bars, i.e. they close the flat tube containing the bars.

I have a saracen and base my answers on what I see on this pack.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
It's only a bit of weight, it beats the sf 45 hands down in my opinion and i've used both now on field exercises having them chucked down from trucks and tanks.
All this fannying about over a bit of weight. If you want lightweight, take a plastic bag or a nookie dry bag

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
It's not fussed over a bit of wieght, but the sf45 is only 1.4kg!

Don't know why I'm evening saying this as I have just swapped my SF75 for one of these as the 75 is hurting my back!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Yeah I know what you mean.

the neck pinches a bit as as well. Friend has the Karrimor Cougar SA (self adjust) 65+ and its a much better fit, but still wierd.

Lets see how the Sting does!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Hmm, not great then.

Well swap is done, so let's how it fairs. The sf was heavy but mainly because it was uncomfortable. Hopefully the sting with its self adjust will be better.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE