Lowe Alpine: Sting & Stingray

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
stingray.jpg

Blurb from the website:

It’s there for the long haul. Built for the rigors of daily use. Ergonomic in design, the Stingray has just the right features to make this versatile pack perfect for all tasks. Side pockets detach and combine to create a small recon pack.

Two compartment with drawcord divider

Detachable side pockets zip together to form small pack

Wand pockets each side

Reinforced haul loops front and back

Internal hydration pocket

Double base fabric for durability

Technology: APS3 adjustable back system
Torso Fit System

Colour:
Olive Drab LRM007 00 (NSN 8465-17-115-9550)
NL Woodland Camo LRM008 00 (NSN 8465-17-115-9550)

Fabrics:
1000 denier Cordura®

Back Length: 15" - 20" (38 - 51cm)
Volume: 55L + 20L/3356+1220 cu.in.
Weight: 3.42kg / 7lb 9oz

The Sting and the Stingray are almost identical, though where the Stingray has an inner drawcord divider, the Sting is made with only 1 compartment.

Does any of you gents has any experience with this (Stingray or Sting ...) rucksack? What's it like? Does it live up to your expectations? Is it big enough for your needs? What weight do you normally carry in it?
In short: I want to know everything! As I might be in the market for a new BIG (sort-ish) rucksack, nothing decided yet, but I think my Karrimor Sabre 60-100 isn't very polite towards my back :rolleyes:

Many thanks!!
:notworthy

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi Johan,

Sorry for the rubbish pics, I’m still struggling with the settings of my new (first) digital camera, and I’m a bit rushed today.

This is the Sting, it’s very well constructed, and inspires confidence. I’ve no idea what it weighs when loaded, it serves as my winter survival kit (apologies to everyone for mentioning ‘survival’ :D ), and it feels heavy due to the amount of metal it contains (metal in the kit, not in the rucksack’s construction), and it’ll weigh even more when I add the axe British Red is working on, to it. As a ‘grab bag’ it’s quite comprehensive :lmao:

I think it would make a good bag for an extended summer camping/walking trip too. There would be no need to stuff it full, or take the pockets along, but I like a bit of excess capacity in a bag,

I prefer the idea of having a some empty space (for contingences) and use the compression straps, rather than having a small backpack that has the contents rammed into it, with no spare capacity, but that’s a personal preference.

Anyway, pics are worth a thousand words, and all of that:

The excellent adjustable back system
las_01.jpg

The shoulder straps
las_02.jpg

The well appointed front of the rucksack
las_03.jpg

Detail of side pockets attached with straps and zips
las_04.jpg

The rear of pockets showing the included shoulder straps
las_05.jpg

Pockets joined with zip to form a daypack
las_06.jpg

Illustration of main sack with pockets removed
las_07.jpg

Another of the main sack
las_08.jpg

And one more
las_09.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Best regards,
Paul.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Say Paul.
Is the carrying system going more towards soft or more towards hard/stiff?
And do you think it would fit someone of my frame size (5'10" slender build)?
Looks like a sack I could be interested in.

/ Karl

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi Karl,

If you look at the numbers on the back system in the first pic, you’ll see that the wide strap that holds the system in the adjusted position is at ‘18’. I’m about 6ft in my bare feet, and this position is comfortable for me with my long-ish back, so I recon ‘18’ equates to 1.8 metres. I’d guess that the ‘17’ would be good for you at 5’10” if you’re long in the back, if you’re a bit shorter in the back then there looks to be plenty of scope for shorter adjustments.

bs_01.jpg

The lumbar support is robustly made, though with soft padding
bs_02.jpg

This is the lumbar pad lifted to the position to make adjustments. The large buckle takes the wide strap that can be seen in the first and second photos, which alters the height of the shoulder straps to one’s correct back length.
bs_03.jpg

The shoulder straps and hip pad are firmer than the lumbar pad.
bs_04.jpg

The shoulder straps and hip pad of the LA are much firmer than say, the back and shoulder strap padding on my usual Karrimor daypack, as seen here
kd35.jpg

Cheers mate,
Paul.

i was given a Sting last year and guys on here helped idntify it.
he thought he was giving me a Saber 45 which is what i wanted as a smaller main sack than my old n trusty Vulcan for more civilised loads :D

i was a bit disapointed at it not being the Saber (not that ivce ever tryed one )
but thats passeed and im very happy with it
its a good size and takes PLCE side pockets which i prefer over the taller but thinner supplied (same with Berhuas stds) pockets i also like to use the Medic pouches and normally have one of each.

the sting ray has the split divide but also an access zip for this lower part (same on my Vulcan but i never use it)

its well made and lots of features mainly aimed at Soldiers

teh back numbers i believe are inches from the belt ??? i doubt there are many 2 m blokes about im 5' 10" and the 20 setting is best for me

ATB

Duncan

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Paul, that's extremely helpfull mate!! Many thanks!! Very happy to see pictures of the pack in OG, as that's the color I want. The pics also give more 'info' on the backside, which lacks on the websites that are around :D

Even more tempted now :naughty:

At the moment I use a Sabre 60-100, which also has 2 compartments: below for bivvy and sleeping bag, top for other bits and bobs. The Sting could be an option aswell, though I have some thoughts about a 1 compartment pack - but that's a case of getting used to it I guess ... Besides - it'll stop me struggling with the zip, as I do with my current pack ...

Re: numbers: check my first post, they exactly correspond with the measurements of the length of the back in inches. IIRC LA use some sort of plastic model thingy to determin the users backlength. Which is roughly the distance between shoulder and hipbone.

Again many thanks and I'll try to come up with more questions :D ;)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Paul, that's extremely helpfull mate!! Many thanks!! Very happy to see pictures of the pack in OG, as that's the color I want. The pics also give more 'info' on the backside, which lacks on the websites that are around :D......

Cool, no worries, mate.

...Even more tempted now :naughty:...

Good :D

...Re: numbers: check my first post...

Yep, my bad, should have been paying attention, and thanks.

...and I'll try to come up with more questions :D ;)

Look forward to that :)

Cheers,
Paul.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com

It is, isn't it!! :D

las_01.jpg

Could you tell me the broadth of the hipbelt please Paul? Seems wider / broader and larger than the Sabre one.

Does it has a top compartment? I think I can see a zipper on the top-left of the Sting (pic above). What size is it (what can you store in it, sizewise).

Did it come with a raincover?

Did you ever had problems with the hipbelt closure system? Did it ever opened under pressure / in a situation you didn't wanted it to open? (A mate in the army uses the Saracen and he isn't very pleased with this system and preferes the hooklike closure of the Vulcan sack; Need to say I'll probably never use my sack as he does :D).

Being cheeky ;) - do you've got a piccy from the top (Snowlock and drawstring closure)? :puppy_dog pl-ea-se?? :lmao:

How do you pack it?
With my sabre I've got 2 compartments, and use the bottom one for my sleeping gear (which is drama to get it all in again true the small-ish zip bottom opening). This way I don't need to unpack everything to get my sleeping kit. But with a one compartment rucksack you need to - if you store it in the bottom, where it logically belongs ... (big light-ish stuff in the bottom, heavy stuff near your back and a bit up ...).

Many thanks!
:beerchug:

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...Could you tell me the broadth of the hipbelt please Paul?...

No problem, The width of the belt is 5cm (belt not the pad)

...Does it has a top compartment? I think I can see a zipper on the top-left of the Sting (pic above). What size is it (what can you store in it, sizewise)...

You’re right, Johan, is does have a compartment on the lid, I can get four OS maps and a wool hat and gloves into it, as illustrated and more if it’s packed tight. An OS map is about 24.5 * 13.5 * 1.5cm (1.5cm thick if it’s laminated) and the long dimension of the map is more or less the full width of the zip.
lid_01.jpg

...Did it come with a raincover?...

There’s no rain cover, but if the weather were really foul, I’d probably use a poncho over me and it.

...Did you ever had problems with the hipbelt closure system? Did it ever opened under pressure / in a situation you didn't wanted it to open? (A mate in the army uses the Saracen and he isn't very pleased with this system and preferes the hooklike closure of the Vulcan sack; Need to say I'll probably never use my sack as he does :D)...

I’ve never had a problem with the buckle, but then I’ve hardly had it on my back ;) I’m not a great fan of plastic buckles, I’d rather have metal, but I guess if you carry some spares, and if a buckle fails it can always be replaced without too much hassle. I’m not in the military so I don’t have to worry about critical failure of kit in what might be described as a tactical situation (For the record, I’ve never done any ‘paintballing’ either, or wanted to…and I don’t wear DPM) Oh, and the waist buckle system on Berghaus belts is very nice, one of those in aluminium would be perfect :)

...Being cheeky ;) - do you've got a piccy from the top (Snowlock and drawstring closure)? :puppy_dog pl-ea-se?? :lmao: ...

Yep, I have a pic of that for you :) There’s another zipped pocket on the internal surface of the lid, which would is big enough to get some documents in, or some such.
lid_02.jpg

...How do you pack it?
With my sabre I've got 2 compartments, and use the bottom one for my sleeping gear (which is drama to get it all in again true the small-ish zip bottom opening). This way I don't need to unpack everything to get my sleeping kit. But with a one compartment rucksack you need to - if you store it in the bottom, where it logically belongs ... (big light-ish stuff in the bottom, heavy stuff near your back and a bit up ...)...

The contents are a ‘work in progress’ and are constantly changing with the seasons, and as better ideas occur to me. I’ve been thinking that later on in the year I might buy a Saracen for the winter kit, as I’m struggling to fit everything in for a winter survival kit in the Sting. Not that the Sting has any short comings, it’s just that the bulk ('bulk' meaning, volume) of extra mid layers, spare strides and so forth, could be better accommodated in a larger rucksack. I doubt I could carry more weight than is already in the Sting, but the bulk (volume) of the items is proving problematic. At the moment the Nanok Cold Weather Suit would be strapped to the lid (more versatile than a sleeping bag), and the sleep mat, and few other bits and pieces would be fixed to the outside too, which is starting to make the pack feel a little unbalanced.

Pic of Nanok Suit in its compression sack to the right
ncws.jpg

Broad categories of the winter kit inside the rucksack would be as follows:

Communication, signalling and wireless (nothing fancy)

Clothing – Spare socks, hats, gloves and underwear – nothing else (no room for it)

Various methods of water filtration and purification

Various tools (heavy metal)

Shelter

Sleep

Various equipment and fuel for cooking and heating water (heavy)

Food – a few dried goods only (no room for anything else)

First Aid Kit and hygiene.

I dare say that a bushcrafter could make do with a lot less, but then with more knowledge and skills, or in a real emergency, so could I ;)

I find that assembling a survival kit is a good way for me to structure kit buying and focus on the essentials that can cross-over from one UK season to another. I feel I should say that my methods are not intended as a ‘blue print’ or to serve as an ‘ideal’ for others, it’s just my way of doing things and my way of having some fun.

A bit of walking and having a poke around in the woods is pretty much all I do, I’m not preparing or hoping for the end of civilisation, Trying to have some fun is more of a priority :)

Cheers,
Paul.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Paul, think I owe you a beer by now :D - thanks for your extended replies with excellent pics, you're improving! ;)

Seems to me it'll do the job for me perfectly:
- Topcompartment would be about the same size as my Sabre.
- Main compartment would be a bit smaller, though the only bulky items I got would be a 3 season sleeping bag with bivvy bag, more food on longer trips and minimal spare clothing.
- Detachable side pockets, which also make a small daypack: that's a bonus, the Sabre ones can't be removed and are a bit to slim for my liking ...

Found a retailer near my place, so I'll check them out somewhere next week (fingers crossed and hope they've got these models in store ...).

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Cool :)

The pics may have improved because for some reason the settings on the camera reset to automatic :lmao:

By the way, when I mentioned the Saracen in one of the posts above, I meant the Salient.
Paul.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
Cool :)

The pics may have improved because for some reason the settings on the camera reset to automatic :lmao:

By the way, when I mentioned the Saracen in one of the posts above, I meant the Salient.
Paul.

i just got a saracen (army surplus). arrived today. the belt buckle is HUGE and takes both my hands to open it. whatever squaddy owned it previously must have been enormous!! i have to figure out how to adjust the height of the straps. with the pack on my shoulders, the hip pad is around my mid thigh. and i am 6ft2. how big was its owner??? lol.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
:lmao:

I'm way too old for something like the size of the Saracen, you clearly have youth and stamina on your side :)

Cheers,
Paul.

nope just have a pack mule. lol, seriously, it is big, with the plce pouches. but with them off its just right for a winter multiday trip. with the pouches, and fully loaded, it would probably crush me. but at least i wont be stuck having to strap stuff outside anymore with this thing. i hate that. my aim is to never even half fill it, so i can always bring back things i find when out and about

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
That’s a good idea, ILB, you never know when you’re going to stumble upon that spalted log, do you? :D

Cheers,
Paul.

i wouldn't know a spalted log from a hole in the head. even though my grandfather two uncles, and multitudinous other relation types are carpenters. lol. i was thinking of the insanely random human garbage that ends up in even the most isolated places. although i draw the line at carrying out whole washing machines. especially when two days away from a road. :)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
i wouldn't know a spalted log from a hole in the head. even though my grandfather two uncles, and multitudinous other relation types are carpenters. lol....

This is a little ‘off-topic’ but I forgot to mention that you should look for a tree that has fallen because it’s been weakened at the area just above the ground by fungus. When you cut the tree open you'll see black streaks running through the wood grain. As you may know, those markings are highly prized by wood workers (and knife makers). If the wood is rotten it wouldn’t be much good, but if it's in sound condition, you’ll have made a great find.

Cheers,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE