lost paddle and hat on the river mersey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
This has been posted on SOTP aswell. Cheers

Hi all Can I ask anybody paddling on the river mersey to keep an eye out for my paddle and hat.
We lost it today at the first weir near the put in at ford st. As we was getting out two paddles slipped out of the canoe and fell down the steps back into the river. Now as we were paddling down the river and had spares I didnt worry too much, thinking that i could get them further down river. I mean nothing is worth jumping back in for just above a weir.
Unfortunately as we got back in from the portage both paddles were bobbing around in the stopper. After watching them and the river for a while I decided that I could get to them and get back. I worked out how to get to them and what to watch out for when out on the water. I managed to grab the first paddle nice and safe so went for the second......... and got pulled into the weir then under the water. The boat filled with water and I went under hit the floor and span into a boiler, spinning around under the water I managed to kick myself to the surface, free my canoe from the hole and float down river. Where John ( singeblister) heroically paddled across the river to help me out.
Gladly I got the side and looked around for my kit............everything still in place apart from my buffalo hat and the grey owl paddle.

They are a grey owl voyager paddle like this but well used.

http://www.canoesandkayaks.co.uk/pro...ageur_Grey_Owl

If my memory serves me right its a 54 inch paddle.

and a Rogue buffalo leather hat like this

http://www.unbeatentracks.co.uk/acat...And_Boots.html

Its the 108 african buffalo bush hat 6th hat down.

If anybody finds the paddle i would really like it back as it holds a great sentimental value for me.

Yours hopefully with all my fingers and toes crossed.

Greg

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Best of luck.
Some scally's probably chored them. You were lucky to only lose your paddle and hat...

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Cheers for the kind words. I am currently holed up in bed with some mystery bug, like gastric flu or a dose of food poisoning. Fingers crossed its not leptospirosis. I should know more when I get to the docs on monday until then its projectile vomiting and the worst case of monty zoomers revenge I have ever had. It impossible to move further than 10 feet from the loo.

Anyway I believe the hat is long gone and sitting at the bottom of the mersey. The last time I saw it, it was floating off down the river but it has probably turned over filled and sank.
The paddle on the other hand if its not in the sea by now I think will have been caught in a strainer as there are many along the trip. Or on the S bend near the golf clubs along the top section.

I would like to add that if anybody does see it in a strainer, only go for it if its safe. Nothing is worth getting in trouble for.

Cheers Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I went to the doc's yesterday and he has advised me that it is more than likely that i have just caught a gastric virus and I am suffering the ill effects of it. He also suggested that the "dip" would not of helped much .

Anyway I have since found out that It would of been possible to have been inoculated against various nasty things we (both bush crafters and canoeist's) are likely to be exposed to. So my advice to all who have not done it yet is get to your doc's and have a word with them. To be honest as a nurse I should of known ,but also as a nurse I believed that I had been vaccinated against most things. It just goes to show there is always more to learn .

Cheers Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Just out of interest Greg, what sort of things should we think about being inoculated against?

JUST TO REPEAT........GET TO THE DOCS I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT VACCINATIONS (LEARNING MORE EVERYDAY ) AND THEY ARE THE EXPERTS.
THIS POST SHOULD BE NO WAY BE TAKEN AS PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. ITS JUST WHATS HAPPENING TO ME AT THIS TIME.

I will have a word with the GP when I go back on thursday but a basic list might be

Tetanus
Leptospirosis / Wiel's disease
hepatitis

This list is by no means exhaustive and is just from the top of my head but this appear to be a good site with some useful info.

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/pages/v...on-information

To be honest a trip to the doc's and tell him that you paddle / bushcraft / etc and believe that it may be possible that you come into contact with various undesirable things would be the best thing to to as they should be able to advise a lot better than I ever could.
I am a mental health nurse so physical ailments are alien to me but If you become mentally unwell I am your man

Cheers Greg

JUST TO REPEAT........GET TO THE DOCS I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT VACCINATIONS (LEARNING MORE EVERYDAY ) AND THEY ARE THE EXPERTS.
THIS POST SHOULD BE NO WAY BE TAKEN AS PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. ITS JUST WHATS HAPPENING TO ME AT THIS TIME.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I hate weirs!

Steady on John :eek: :D

This has been posted on SOTP aswell. Cheers

Hi all Can I ask anybody paddling on the river mersey to keep an eye out for my paddle and hat.
We lost it today at the first weir near the put in at ford st. As we was getting out two paddles slipped out of the canoe and fell down the steps back into the river. Now as we were paddling down the river and had spares I didnt worry too much, thinking that i could get them further down river. I mean nothing is worth jumping back in for just above a weir.
Unfortunately as we got back in from the portage both paddles were bobbing around in the stopper. After watching them and the river for a while I decided that I could get to them and get back. I worked out how to get to them and what to watch out for when out on the water. I managed to grab the first paddle nice and safe so went for the second......... and got pulled into the weir then under the water. The boat filled with water and I went under hit the floor and span into a boiler, spinning around under the water I managed to kick myself to the surface, free my canoe from the hole and float down river. Where John ( singeblister) heroically paddled across the river to help me out.
Gladly I got the side and looked around for my kit............everything still in place apart from my buffalo hat and the grey owl paddle.

They are a grey owl voyager paddle like this but well used.

http://www.canoesandkayaks.co.uk/pro...ageur_Grey_Owl

If my memory serves me right its a 54 inch paddle.

and a Rogue buffalo leather hat like this

http://www.unbeatentracks.co.uk/acat...And_Boots.html

Its the 108 african buffalo bush hat 6th hat down.

If anybody finds the paddle i would really like it back as it holds a great sentimental value for me.

Yours hopefully with all my fingers and toes crossed.

Greg

Blimey Greg, I imagine swallowing a bucketful of the Mersey will eventually do wonders as an immune system boost but right now I hope you get better soon mate.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I went to the doc's yesterday and he has advised me that it is more than likely that i have just caught a gastric virus and I am suffering the ill effects of it. He also suggested that the "dip" would not of helped much .

Anyway I have since found out that It would of been possible to have been inoculated against various nasty things we (both bush crafters and canoeist's) are likely to be exposed to. So my advice to all who have not done it yet is get to your doc's and have a word with them. To be honest as a nurse I should of known ,but also as a nurse I believed that I had been vaccinated against most things. It just goes to show there is always more to learn .

Cheers Greg

"most likely caught a gastric virus" Sorry too much of a coincidence in my book. Doctors are full of it. (youll know that being a nurse)
You may well have picked up dysentery from the water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysentery

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
"most likely caught a gastric virus" Sorry too much of a coincidence in my book. Doctors are full of it. (youll know that being a nurse)
You may well have picked up dysentery from the water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysentery

Possible but unlikely as there has been no blood involved......gross :yuck: .
I have been chatting to the practice nurse and she will be passing my information onto the local drugs rep who sell all of the vaccinations availiable and they will be getting back to me with more information. When I get it i will post it up on here or start a new thread with all the information I can find.

Cheers Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE