Looking for MY bivi bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I'm trying to find a bivi bag that fits my needs/wants out there.
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction whara to find one, because my own research has been fruitless so far.
What I would like to see is:
- A bivi bag large enough to put my camping mattress inside it.
- The bag floor should be hard wearing since it's going to be directly on the ground (and therefore it doesn't need to be "breathing" material).
- A mozzie net to cover the head/face. The mozzies just luuurrrve me. The love is not returned...
- What's not bag floor should be of "breathing" material.

If this bag doesn't exist, I guess it's time to start doing something myself.
Or maybe go to the drawing board and get someone to do it for me, as my sewing skills are virtually nil...

/ Karl

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
not heard of one with an impermeable floor, not sure this is a good idea as you'll get condensation forming under your bag which will be promptly absorbed giving you a soggy butt!

As for a mozzie net, I'm planning on either sleeping in my DD travel hammock with it on the ground (piccie) or sticking a mozzie head net on before closing the hood up as much as possible. Someone has also mentioned sleeping with the hole face down.

Couple of options are the UK issue goretex appearing on EBay but also in other shops and the ridiculously cheap one from alpkit.com, which is not goretex but looks pretty good for the money.

The drawing board option sounds good but not sure about the impermeable floor

Cheers,

Alan

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Welcome to land upon which we have all trod.

I had a ventile bivvi bag in the 80's with a plastic/groundsheet floor. Damp or sweaty bottom was common, also it weighed a ton due to the ground sheet. The military ones will fit a therma rest in, the rest is down to personal inovation.

Just try with some fine nylon net to rig a screen over your head. If the net touches you the mozzies can bite through it so try coating it in citronella oil :AR15firin . I have used a hoop made of hazel worked fine. Just sharpen the ends and dig it into the soil.

Good luck

Sandsnakes

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Would not be without my military issue gortex bivy.

Yeah ok if its throwing it down and your directly under it there may be some moisture by the morning but never enough to go though my sleeping bag aswell. There are a lot of bivi bags out there but it depends if your looking at the one man tent side of things such as a vaude or if you just want to stay out of the weather and sleep under the stars.

With your savings you could maybe buy a magikelly type of mozzy net that could double as a ground mozzy net :) You would still have more cash left to buy a cheap hammock for the rainy warm days or just dont fancy the floor ;)

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I knew I could trust this lot to give me plenty of answers.
Thanks all!!! :You_Rock_ :beerchug:

This gives me plenty to think about.
I really do like the Outdoor Designs one with integrated mozzie net. But 200 Euro...
And the Terra Nova one is even more expensive.
Hmmm, I knew these things would be expensive, but THAT expensive...

I also like Chainsaws idea with the DD hammock on the ground. That's a new idea to me, but as I am thinking about a hammock too...

As for the ex military ones - they look like I might be able to afford one.
How heavy are these things? Could I just as well go with a one-man tent instead (which I already have)?

/ Karl

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I really don't understand the fascination with putting your roll mat, thermarest etc inside your bivvibag, I've been using bivvibags of one sort or another-mainly British military-since I was a teenager and I have never found it necessary, in fact it wasn't until I watched RM's 'Four Seasons' episode a couple of years ago that I'd ever seen it done!
After watching this program I decided to give it ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with the rollmat on top of me!
But of course this is only my opinion and if your happy using this set up and it suits you then fair enough.:22:

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I really don't understand the fascination with putting your roll mat, thermarest etc inside your bivvibag, I've been using bivvibags of one sort or another-mainly British military-since I was a teenager and I have never found it necessary.
But of course this is only my opinion and if your happy using this set up and it suits you then fair enough.:22:

Eeeeeerrrhhhh, well...
I tend to move about a lot when sleeping, and always seem to wake up being cold next to the mattress.
I figured this solution might help me stay on top of the mattress the entire night. :eek:

/ Karl

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Eeeeeerrrhhhh, well...
I tend to move about a lot when sleeping, and always seem to wake up being cold next to the mattress.
I figured this solution might help me stay on top of the mattress the entire night. :eek:

/ Karl

Well, I obviously don't move around that much because I always manage to stay on my mat.:rolleyes:

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Maybe a Macpac Astro, £190 though! think it covers all bases :)
Hooped bivi bags are normally similar prices to small tent's due to the amount of work that goe's into them, a painful purchase on the wallet but a good one will last you many years ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Maybe a Macpac Astro, £190 though! think it covers all bases :)
Hooped bivi bags are normally similar prices to small tent's due to the amount of work that goe's into them, a painful purchase on the wallet but a good one will last you many years ;)

Good thought!

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Yes, the MacPac one looks quite good.
It is fairly heavy though. Quite near to what my 1-person tent weighs.
Hmmm... got to do some thinking here...

Thanks for all the help guys. :You_Rock_
As always, good advice is close at hand here.

/ Karl

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
contact the AUSSIE SHOP you will have to look them up on the web they had a stall at this years OUTDOOR SHOW birmigham they have a bed roll which may be suitable for your needs they have every thing you disribed you needed I brought one took it home showed it to my two sons who come away with me on trips and they orderd another two I have used mine on many weekends away and am not in any way dissapointed they are very roomy for me Im 17stone they have a water proof bottom a canvas top built in mossy net and it comes with its own mattress I bought a very large 3 season sleeping bag and comfy pillow for inside the whole lot rolls into a simpple bed roll A small adaption to the carrying handle and it can be carryed like a ruck sac I done away with my ruck sack and now use an assault vest to carry bits and bobs (knife mess tinns flint and head torch ect I am know way connected to the aussie shop apart from being a very satisfied customer

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
contact the AUSSIE SHOP you will have to look them up on the web they had a stall at this years OUTDOOR SHOW birmigham they have a bed roll which may be suitable for your needs... ...I have used mine on many weekends away and am not in any way dissapointed... ...it comes with its own mattress

Is this the one you mean, John?
One of the traditional Australian swags?

It certainly looks the ticket to me!! Got all the bells and whistles I was asking for. :)
But... (there's always a but, isn't there) ...they all way a ton!!!
Is the mattress sewn fixed into the swag, or is it possible to take it out and replace it with, say, a thermarest or such?
I think that would make the whole thing significantly lighter.

/ Karl

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
YES yo have found the right peice of kit >yes it is possible to take out the mattress and use a self infating type My whole bed roll weighs 15kg They probably are a bit heavy for very long trecks but if you are only going to carry your kit for about an hour I personaly didnt find it a struggle good luck any way

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE