looking for a USB lead that can power this..........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Bought this of amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006WHMKEE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01, so i can keep a few things charged whilst camping with the kids (NDS etc) now i want to be able to charge it via my car lighter......... i have a USB port adapter for the car so need a USB lead that can connect to this....... here is a better pick of the lead http://m.csteng.net/product/util/accessory.jsp?name=79UN5V2-B16P100UKA_BA_PS5.jpg

From the manufacturer they say its a 5.5mmx2.1mm but having issues finding a USB lead that can do it...... ideally around the 1A mark

Any assistance would be great

thanks

Cade

Donny732

Nov 25, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Unfortunately you won't be able to charge that battery pack from a USB port because the input voltage is 9-15V and USB's max voltage is 5V. Even if you get a cable that fits, it won't charge the battery effectively (depending on the internals) and probably won't charge it at all. You probably could knock up a cigarette lighter socket adapter, seeing as they put out 9-16V or so.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I agree with Donny - it won't work. That unit needs 9-15V/1A. You might get a universal mobile phone charger that will do it - a trip to Maplins might help

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pick up a cheap 12v to 240v inverter and just plug your gizmo's mains charger into it. Connects via car ciggy lighter and won't break the bank.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I'd second the inverter idea...in the car I have a charger for my phone, everything else (laptops, kid's games, etc) gets run from the inverter that lives in the car.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Most USB mobile phone car chargers kick out between 5v and 9v, so a USB cable will happily take 9v and higher.
The main worry is not the voltage but how much current you put through it, too much and you'll melt the cable.

So in theory i wouldn't be too worried about the cable, my main worry would be regulating the charge and more importantly stopping the charge at the correct voltage.

Because of it's size in relation to it's capacity, i'd hazard a guess that the battery pack will be running lithium based cells, so overcharging is a real concern.
If you just wire up a adaptor to the cars cigarette lighter socket unless there is a charge regulation circuit built into the device over charging would be a major concern.

If your feeling a little adventurous then you could confirm what chemistry the batteries are and use a hobby charger.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...O6_50W_5A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories.html

With an adaptor lead
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6697__Charging_harness.html
or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...NG_Multi_19_Mega_Charge_Plug_Adapter_Set.html

An inverter would be the easiest option though.

Another thing to note is that, if charging at 1 amp it's going to take around 10 hours to charge it completely, so i hope it's a long drive.

Cheers
Mark

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
thie idea is to charge it before i leave but also charge it as i use it on trips around where we are staying, we are national trust members to tend to take the kids to the various castles etc near we are so they can see things

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just buy an inverter, cuts out the hassle. Depending upon what you buy you can also pack a small microwave, kettle, DVD player etc.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just for information, a USB socket that's up to spec will be able to put out 2A.

Yes, it's all 5V and if it's markedly different from that I'd send it back to wherever it came from because it risks frying USB devices.

The cables also ought to take 2A. Whether they and what they're plugged into are up to spec or not is another matter. The maximum length for a USB cable according to the spec is 5 metres.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
You use get a USB with double USB A headers on giving 2x5v typically you'd find this sort of system on early HSDPA SIM modems but going to the 5.5mmx2.1mm jack might be an issue, i have NEVER seen a USB cable go straight to a jack, typically you'd get a USB A to mini-B and them from mini-B (female) to the diameter jack you want.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
You're all getting far too complicated :p

The INPUT to the device will take 9-15V at up to 1A so you just need a cable with a cigar lighter plug on one end and a 5.5mmx2.1mm jack plug on the other.
It will only take as much current as it needs.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just for information, a USB socket that's up to spec will be able to put out 2A. ...

That's not in the spec at all. Since 2.0, devices can negotiate up to 5A, but dedicated charge ports shouldn't put out more than 1.5A.

Um, I didn't say it was "in the spec". :)

Quoting from

http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq#pow2

"... In the case of 7.2.3, with a worst-case configuration, a hub essentially sees a 500mA current step on each of its ports when the bus resumes. Thus, a hub designer typically has to design for a load step from near zero to 2-3.5A. ..."

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
You're all getting far too complicated :p

The INPUT to the device will take 9-15V at up to 1A so you just need a cable with a cigar lighter plug on one end and a 5.5mmx2.1mm jack plug on the other.
It will only take as much current as it needs.

Get a 2.1mm jack and a car lighter plug and bit of wire from maplin and make your own one up.

Very bad advice guys, verging on irresponsible.

If this device does not have a a voltage regulator and a lithium battery, then overcharging will at best result in acidic smoke filling the car (that will eventually eat through most the interior) at worst the cell in the device will flare up like a Catherine wheel.

Older NiMh and NiCd based cells are a LOT more tougher to overcharging, over charge a LiPo cell though and you'll know about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE