Looking for a headtorch . . . .any idea's please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Ok peoples I'm looking for a new headtorch and can't seem to find anything suitable . . . maybe someone can help?
I have a couple of Energizer ones already, they where quite cheap but aren't bad for the money (around £10)
The problem I have with these is ;
With one of them you have four modes; spot, flood, spot and flood and red, if you want to go from off to red you have to scroll through the other three bright modes by which time your night vision is ruined, other than that the spot and flood good enough for what I'm after (to be honest a bit more range would be nice :eek:)
The other Energizer one has two modes on a three way switch; so off middle, one side for red and other way for spot . . . . great! except the spot is rubbish :(
I can find loads of great head torches but none with red LED's only clip in red filters, not what I'm after really as I will lose it.
I believe LED Lenser did one but it might be discontinued as I cant seem to find it anywhere now.
Please let me know if anything comes to mind.
Thanks in advance . . . :cool:

I got a Tikka plus 2 off Lurch (Lakeland Bushcraft) I had the same issues that you have and find this Tikka great. Press once for full white, twice for half white, three for full white strobe. Long press from off gives you red led which stays in this mode till you long press again. one press for red led then two presses for red led strobe. The white light has a slide up defuser for when you don't require a spot light.
HTH

Last edited:

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I've tried many fancy and upper priced head torches, and inevitably Lose or break them. Tescos do a nice 3 LED headtorch that runs on 3 AAA batteries for about £5. It has high, low and flashing settings. They also do one that is slightly smaller, but I've not had any experiance with it. I cheeted with a filter, I bought a cheep can of glass spray paint and used an old torch lense as the filter.

I've also got a Petzl, which has slide over filters that mean you can have them in place befoire you turn the light on.

Last edited:

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Gamma's are great but you have to scroll through the white and green to get to red which I think the op wanted to avoid. I love my Gamma and use it for work all the time.

Correct Bodge . . . . having to cup my hand over the torch while scrolling thru is becoming tedious :(

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Another vote for the TakTikka, it sounds perfect for what you want

Yes it does Shewie . . . I will use it quite a bit for overnight carp fishing too, and generally sleep with it on so a battery pack on the back is not best, something small like this is looking good.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another useful one is the e+lite they do, not as robust or bright but a handy little thing to have around the neck sometimes.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
If you want only red light, you might be interested in one of the red Zebralights (fe H51r). They function in the same way as the normal, white LED versions.
Zebralights have a very good reputation on CPF for as far I can see and the specs are great. I'll very likely order a normal version (H51w) for winter hiking myself.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I'm in process of ordering the Silva Ranger. It looks just the job for the price and carry's Silva's 'intelligent' light beam.

I have the Alpha, but its a bit overkill :p

Let you know my findings, if you like. al.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
If you want only red light, you might be interested in one of the red Zebralights (fe H51r). They function in the same way as the normal, white LED versions.
Zebralights have a very good reputation on CPF for as far I can see and the specs are great. I'll very likely order a normal version (H51w) for winter hiking myself.
Not really looking for only red, but red must be on there . . . . I would like a wide beam beam/flood; great for setting up in the dark etc, and a spot is cool checking out stuff at range.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I would like a wide beam beam/flood; great for setting up in the dark etc, and a spot is cool checking out stuff at range.

That's what the intelligent beam does. It gives you a flood at your feet, and a long beam at the same time for distance work. Clever stuff.

I'll let you know what I think (honestly) and it should be here for the weekend. Just be aware the Pro has no red light, the standard Ranger does.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
That's what the intelligent beam does. It gives you a flood at your feet, and a long beam at the same time for distance work. Clever stuff.

I'll let you know what I think (honestly) and it should be here for the weekend. Just be aware the Pro has no red light, the standard Ranger does.

Nice one Al . . . that sounds right up my street . . . I like a red, so it would be a Ranger for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE