look what we found ! camp food pouches headsup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Are those the Princes ones Richard ?

Or they may be Ye Olde Oak, can't remember without digging one out of the cupboard.

BM and Poundstretcher are also selling Vesta dried meals for 99p. Not the greatest meal, but they pack light, cook easy and make a good lunch to be honest if weight is an issue.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Or they may be Ye Olde Oak, can't remember without digging one out of the cupboard.

BM and Poundstretcher are also selling Vesta dried meals for 99p. Not the greatest meal, but they pack light, cook easy and make a good lunch to be honest if weight is an issue.

Got one mate, just had to buy it to see if it was the same as it was years ago, not tried it yet though. The box looks exactly like it used to look years ago as well. lol happy days.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
£1.49 in my local Tesco, very small portions for a grown fella, nice food but on their own you would need two, or one and extra rice or spuds.

£1.49 at the moment Rik? if so im off down there this aft. They make a filling meal if like you say you chuck in some pasta or rice etc. Can also be boiled in the bag!!

Has anyone tried "expedition foods" they are based up near Pickering they seem to get good reviews but the postage is a bit steep. Might be worth going to collect some or if they have a good shelf life may be worth tapping them up for a group buy.

Might be complicated though due to menu choice!!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What section in Morrisons (one of my fave supermarkets, decent price and good service, unlike some others) are they in, I have never seen them.

I went to Poundstretcher and got some Vesta ready meals...again, not the best food in the world but strangely appealing.

And I love crispy noodles.....

they also had some microwave rice at 69p....cant remember the brand

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
What section in Morrisons (one of my fave supermarkets, decent price and good service, unlike some others) are they in, I have never seen them.

I went to Poundstretcher and got some Vesta ready meals...again, not the best food in the world but strangely appealing.

And I love crispy noodles.....

they also had some microwave rice at 69p....cant remember the brand

I think they were near the tinned meatballs and the like.

Happy hunting!

P.S. +1 for the vesta crispy noodles, did you take the chip pan with you to cook them in?:lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They were tested in of the Bushcraft Magazine issues, they got the full thumbs up from the reviewers.
Yup - I like them :)
I reviewed them for BCUK magazine a long while back and still use them - when I find them reduced in price .... found some of the soups in Aldi on occassion....

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I used to get vista meals years ago so popped in my local 99p store and picked some up. and cans of ham, corned beef, salmon and some honey. yeah and some tropical fruit mix, mango chutney, 1kg rice, rum and raisin chocolate, can of newport lighter fuel (last can in the shop).

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
One of the members here was not impressed with the bolognaise not too long ago. I said I'd give it a miss but ended up finding them on sale at Waitrose.

Pleasantly surprised by the venison stew and Teeside chili. I made some bannock with the venison stew when I took it out on an overnighter. Small portions but both were very tasty. Much cheaper than Wayfayrer and widely available :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I think I've tried most of them now and they seem to be of reasonable quality for the money.
The only problem we found was that the portions are tiny : deffo not for a working lunch outdoors
or dinner up a mountain unless you have two each.
Having said that I am a bit of a gannet when I take strenuous exercise!! :deadhorse: "if it stops moving I'm gonna eat it."
Cheers , Simon

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive just found 9 of these pouches in a plastic canoe barrel. Best Before date MAR10.....

What do you reckon? Should be ok, shouldnt they?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive just found 9 of these pouches in a plastic canoe barrel. Best Before date MAR10.....

What do you reckon? Should be ok, shouldnt they?

Serious Question to anyone with more knowledge than I have.

What are the chances that these pouches will still be edible two years after their sell by date?
Will they just have lost some of their nutritional value, or should I bin them?

Sounds like a silly question. But MRE's get eaten that are decades old.

Mark W

Dec 29, 2011
Forest of Dean
"Best Before" is the date by which the food remains at peak quality (if it's stored OK). After then food may be edible but its quality may suffer (soggy crisps, milk chocolate goes white, etc).
The pork and chicken pepperpot was quite peppery/herby, the beef and pork meatballs slightly spicey. Served both with sourdough olive bread, treating the contents as a thick stew/casserole. Couldn't be faffing with noodles or rice from my sickbed.
Liked them both as a pouch ready meal.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just scoffed the fellside beef chilli from aldi. Fits in the jet boil and tasted gorrrrgeous
95feda16-2d03-1acb.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE