Longbow stand and a question about Thumbsticks/"Natural" walking poles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
First off - a Happy new Year to one and all!

Now to business....

I bought 5 well seasoned hazel sticks off t'bay a while ago and made myself a stand for my longbow:

bowstand5.jpg
bowstand1.jpg
bowstand2.jpg

The top consists of a brass collar with a roe deer antler set into the shaft with a 8mm brass rod and araldite. The bottom has a brass ferrule which I drilled out to insert a brass rod that I'd turned to (almost) a point.

bowstand3.jpg
bowstand4.jpg

I finished it with umpteen coats of Danish oil which I refresh from time to time. It works well - so much so that I have made a smaller one for a junior member of my club.

BUT:

This was my first attempt at stickmaking and, while I am pleased with the result (although SWMBO says I look like Gandalf when I carry it!:)) I want to use the other shafts to make something - maybe a thumbstick for walking. Looking through the threads on here on stickmaking there is some amazing work (BIG respect to Woodspirits and others!!!) But what I want to know is: what do people recommend for the bottom of the stick? I've seen alpine spikes with rubber covers that look good to me but I am open to all suggestions/advice.

Last edited:

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I use the rubber ends on most of mine as i find they give a better grip on hard surfaces and dont sink into any soft earth as quickly as a a brass ferrule when im using the stick under my tarp.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
They are the fanciest looking nocks Ive seen on a longbow. Whats the horn, and who's the maker?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
The maker is Gary Evans. It's a 52lbs @ 28" bamboo backed bow and I LURVE it! According to the blurb the nocks are "South American Cowhorn."

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use the rubber ends on most of mine as i find they give a better grip on hard surfaces and dont sink into any soft earth as quickly as a a brass ferrule when im using the stick under my tarp.

Thanks Andy - I thought the metal ones might be little use on mud and the brass ones likely to slip. I'll give them a go.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The maker is Gary Evans. It's a 52lbs @ 28" bamboo backed bow and I LURVE it! According to the blurb the nocks are "South American Cowhorn."

Very Nice. I had the chance to shoot a Bamboo backed Gary Evans last year, minus the fancy nocks, and it felt very fast, light and accurate.
It had 3 different draw weights written on it in black pen, with different poundages which Ive not seen before apart from on that bow.
Lowest one said 47lbs@28, but I was told it was shooting at about 45lbs@28".
I forget the other two but Ive got orangutan arms at 32" draw.

I actually preferred it over my own...:bluThinki

Do you prefer to shoot the Longbow or the Compound bow? Ive not had a go of a Compound Bow yet, but Im coming around to the idea of better accuracy and range. I learnt with a 34lb recurve, and started shooting Longbow straight after.

Last edited:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hiya kerne, you have done a really fine job of your bow stand very innovative spike mod! well done :)

as andy reccomends, the rubber end caps would be more suitable for slippery conditions. if its going to be your main staff or thumbstick however, you may want it to be not only functional but decorative too.

were it mine i would fit a brass or copper tube a 100mm or so up the shaft, this would act as a protector to the staff when brushing aside brash or rubbing against rocks etc. then merely pop on a knobbled rubber type end when conditions dictate which could be kept in your pack or pocket? the brass/copper ferrule would have to be parallel of course :)

steve

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
hiya kerne, you have done a really fine job of your bow stand very innovative spike mod! well done :)

as andy reccomends, the rubber end caps would be more suitable for slippery conditions. if its going to be your main staff or thumbstick however, you may want it to be not only functional but decorative too.

were it mine i would fit a brass or copper tube a 100mm or so up the shaft, this would act as a protector to the staff when brushing aside brash or rubbing against rocks etc. then merely pop on a knobbled rubber type end when conditions dictate which could be kept in your pack or pocket? the brass/copper ferrule would have to be parallel of course :)

steve

Thanks for the advice. You're right, I'd want to make it as decorative as possible and I can see that protection for the bottom seems a good idea. I'm lucky enough to have both a metal and a wood turning lathe at work so I might see if I can turn the end of one of the shafts parallel to fit a copper tube over.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE