Log burner from an old ammo tin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Hi all,

I have been looking at some pictures of hobo stoves and home made log burners, and I was wondering if anyone has made a small log burner from a ammo tin before. Sure I have seen pictures but cannot find them.

I reckon with a welder and an angle grinder it would be fairly simple.

Any ideas?

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Cheers guys, is there any issues when making such a 'burner', IE: channeling the smoke/fumes?

I like the look of some of the other burners. I may have to get it done.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've got some old metal tool boxes left from amongst the stuff i cleared out of my dads place. I plan to make something similar myself, i'm thinking along the lines of it being able to come apart & pack into its self.

Rob

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
There quite easy Itzal if you can weld/cut etc. Good fun too.
Have to crank mine up again soon now the nights are drawing in. :)

mattrombone

Nov 24, 2011
Sussex, UK
Hi I have made an ammo tin stove which heats my bell tent up. its OK, to make it burn well you do need a smoke box/fire box and baffle inside, a way to regulate the air etc. I am happy to give you more detailed plans if you contact me,

Since these photos were taken the chimney is longer and has an extra section to take it through the tent, the steel hotplate is alluminium and pop rivited on as it gets much hotter and I have put some peltier cells to use it to charge things like camera batteries and my mobile whilst camping.

Here is a link to my dropbox photo galery of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/38714771/1/Stove?h=f0df5d

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE