Loftys Survival Tool is back....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I seem to recall reading Reds review on Loftys' knife, Lofty read it as well, didn't seem to mind the read.

Wings

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I must admit, if I still had a job I would likely buy one to play with. The price is out of my present pension budget. I did read somewhere that the funny looking Bear Grylls parang with be about $45, although that doesn't sound correct. If it is $45 I might try one of those for a cheap weed whacker.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
I just popped into Trueways shop and they had one of the prototypes, looks like it is going to be one hell of a knife! I wouldn’t take the pic on the scorpion website as final as there was some talk of changing the handle profile to make it more user friendly.

It was interesting to listen to Glyn talk about the different use for this tool, including digging and hammering! Things I guess a lot of people on here wouldn't dream of using their knife for these sorts of activities. Having recently got a parrang xl the lofty knife is a completely different animal designed by the look and feel of it to take some serious abuse!

If you thinking of pre-ordering from scorpion I would hold fire as apparently they haven’t made any yet, and that Trueways will be the sole distributer in the UK.

I think this is going to be a knife that you either love or hate, and that you are going to need to embrace the concepts of the design to truly benefit from, I for one can’t wait to get one of my own!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What didn't you like Red?

It chopped ok- but not as well as an axe

It was twice as heavy as my belt axes - thats my main gripe - it was stupidly heavy

It shelter builds okay - but not as well as a bill hook

Its far too large for any UK game

Overall, I couldn't be ar**** lugging it about when I could carry a whole bush tool kit (Cegga, Silky pocket boy and belt knife) for less weight.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It chopped ok- but not as well as an axe

It was twice as heavy as my belt axes - thats my main gripe - it was stupidly heavy

It shelter builds okay - but not as well as a bill hook

Its far too large for any UK game

Overall, I couldn't be ar**** lugging it about when I could carry a whole bush tool kit (Cegga, Silky pocket boy and belt knife) for less weight.

Would your recommend it for tropical work?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm no expert Jon - but its hugely thick and heavy compared to local tools. Could get very tiring to use

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm no expert Jon - but its hugely thick and heavy compared to local tools. Could get very tiring to use

Cheers Red. I need to try one really. Its a load of money to spend this close to the exped when I have to fork out for new snake hooks, tongs and equipment from the US too. I don't think this XL is going to cope well with bamboo though. We shall see.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why not buy a local parang or golok? They know what works best - they live there!

Actually, buy a nice one and I'll have it off you when you get back :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jon,

Old Jimbo rates these very highly IIRC

http://www.valiantco.com/java1.html

SGL.JPG

About £52 plus shipping

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Cheers Red. I need to try one really. Its a load of money to spend this close to the exped when I have to fork out for new snake hooks, tongs and equipment from the US too. I don't think this XL is going to cope well with bamboo though. We shall see.

I am having a simular dialemma at the moment, from what I have tried, it copes with small - medium widths of bamboo okay, but if wider than your fist, you might want to try something a bit heavier.

NB: this was tried on Homebase dried Garden bamboo, and my Xl has a convex grind (but I believe yours does also?).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If I was going on an exped to the jungle, I'd pick something local up.
I certainly wouldn't take one of those things.

I've never liked the local stuff as there isn't much about there, in fact the locals rely on us bringing in Martindales to trade with.

I like the one Reds posted up, but for me it's too long and narrow. I'm really particular about my sharps, and I find the extra effort in geting it just right is worth it. We do the same for axes and knives in the UK, so why settle for something we just about manage with, but hate using when abroad.

I definately need something heavier than the XL on old and thick bamboo. It is a convex blade now, but is too thin and light to manage those materials.

Liking the look of this...

GolokPotong.JPG

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
If it right handers only then it's no use to me. I'm fairly ambidextrous (but left handed) and can use either hand and like to switch if one arm is getting tired or need to work from a different angle so a handle that compels you to only use one hand is, in my opinion, very restricting.

I respect Lofty Wiseman and I have his SAS Survival book but his knife doesn't really do it for me. Perhaps, as others have mentioned, if I were in the tropics I'd have a different opinion. I just can't see it being a useful tool here and being so expensive I would hesitate to start hacking stuff down with it like I would with a cheap billhook. It also looks a bit aggressive for Joe Public and the Plod in this country and might get you unwanted attention.

Also when I did live in the tropics (Indonesia) picking up a cheap golok from a local craftsmen was easy and fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE