Locking closed?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find an obvious answer, but. I know that to be a legal EDC knife it mustn't lock in the open position. But is it legal if it locks closed? My understanding of the relevant passage of law is that it just says "non locking". Logically it seems that it should be ok. But we're talking law, and thus Logic doesn't always apply.

Any ideas?

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think its one of those deliberately vague points in law so as to act as a catch-all. I agree that logically it should only be on lock open knives but I wouldn't like to bet the rent money on it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
from British Blade forum Law faq :-

Q: What is the legal definition of a lock knife?
A: A Crown Court case (Harris v DPP), saw an enthusiastic lawyer convincing a judge that a lock knife was equivalent to a fixed blade knife when the lock was engaged. Even though it has not been defined in a parliamentary act, it has never been overturned or superseded and so is effective law (case law). A lock knife for all legal purposes, is the same as a fixed blade knife. A folding pocket knife must be readily foldable at all times. If it has a mechanism that prevents folding, it's a lock knife (or for legal purposes, a fixed blade)!

if it doesn't lock open it is still readily foldable at all times

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No legal expert, but i cant see it being an issue since the law generally concerns itself with the closing of a knife rather than the opening
apart from flick knives and such like obviously

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
what about carrying a non locking folding knife open in a sheath like a fixed blade??..

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I personally think there is a distinct difference between a blade that automatically locks in place when open, I can see how that would be frowned on legally as it is a blade that is almost as quickly deployable as fixed blade, and a blade that takes some extra effort to lock, like an opinel. I expect it could go either way if tested in court. Opinels also lock closed so it is a safety feature

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE